TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Winterfest!

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/what-s-new/winterfest

Kinda seems that there won't be any coasters or thrill rides running though. Wasn't that part of the problem with the original winterfest years ago?

"Rides will include the Grand Carousel and a journey through the park’s Rivertown area on an authentic steam train."

I don't think they gave it enough time to "catch" on, Christmas is all about tradition, giving something 1 year to "make it big", isn't allowing you to build the tradition. I thought it was fantastic when I went the last time it was going, was hoping to make it a tradition with my family, unfortunately that was cut short. Hopefully it catches on bigger and they decide to keep it around.

Winterfest!

Kinda seems that there won't be any coasters or thrill rides running though. Wasn't that part of the problem with the original winterfest years ago?

"Rides will include the Grand Carousel and a journey through the park’s Rivertown area on an authentic steam train."

I don't think they gave it enough time to "catch" on, Christmas is all about tradition, giving something 1 year to "make it big", isn't allowing you to build the tradition. I thought it was fantastic when I went the last time it was going, was hoping to make it a tradition with my family, unfortunately that was cut short. Hopefully it catches on bigger and they decide to keep it around.

I guess too that we may see plans change between now and November of 2017. They may decide between now and then to get a few rides up and running.

Kinda seems that there won't be any coasters or thrill rides running though. Wasn't that part of the problem with the original winterfest years ago?"

I honestly feel like Cedar Fair needs to learn from Six Flags (you don't hear anyone say that very often) and stop being so conservative with their winter events. Their ride lineup at Great America is a joke and I feel like if they planned on having any major coasters open here they would have announced that.

Winterfest!

I guess too that we may see plans change between now and November of 2017. They may decide between now and then to get a few rides up and running.

I agree, wouldn't be that hard to get a couple of the indoor rides operating would be my guess, good thing about announcing this early, they can listen for feedback and adjust as it get's closer.

Well here's a good example, I'm from Cleveland and without any real rides running, I see no reason to make the trip down there. As it has been announced, it will only really appeal to anybody living in Cincinnati and the surrounding suburbs. I can see Christmas lights and ride a merry-go-round at places that are within 10 minutes from my house.... why should I drive 3.5 hours for pretty much the same thing.

Just my 2 cents

Well here's a good example, I'm from Cleveland and without any real rides running, I see no reason to make the trip down there. As it has been announced, it will only really appeal to anybody living in Cincinnati and the surrounding suburbs. I can see Christmas lights and ride a merry-go-round at places that are within 10 minutes from my house.... why should I drive 3.5 hours for pretty much the same thing.

Just my 2 cents

Yeah, I'd be going a few extra hours to Dollywood or Great Adventure if I were you.

Just my 2 cents

I agree. It's more meant for locals, but also, look at the Cincinnati Zoo, they have the festival of lights every year and if anyone has ever tried to go, you know how crazy the crowds are especially on the weekends. A normal 5 minute drive off the exit to the Zoo turns into a 45-60 minute wait, just to park. If done correctly, can be very successful for the park and the company.

I wonder if our platinum passes get us into winterfest?

The last time they had Winterfest, I believe it was separate admission, but I think it was still owned by Paramount at that time. That would be nice to be able to get into this with the passes, instead of paying another fee.

Does anyone know if the Christmas in July was successful for KI or not? My family and I went to the breakfast with Santa that they had, I thought there was a pretty good turn out for it and overall very well done. I wonder if that was a test to determine if they would release Winterfest or not?

I guess my point is that if they don't appeal to people from a little further away, that might make winterfest a total bust and a loss of money, making them cut it off after a year or two like last time.

If they don't open some coasters after watching the success that Six Flags is having with Holiday in the Park, the enormous lines that Superdooperlooper had in the winter, the huge lines for Thunderbolt at Coney Island in the winter, the success of Dollywood in the winter and the popularity of Verbolten in the winter at the BGW event then they deserve to fail.

Edited by coasterbill

I guess my point is that if they don't appeal to people from a little further away, that might make winterfest a total bust and a loss of money, making them cut it off after a year or two like last time.

If they don't open some coasters after watching the success that Six Flags is having with Holiday in the Park then they deserve to fail.

Very true.... I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I wonder if our platinum passes get us into winterfest?

Actually as I'm reading facebook, it looks like people are saying Winterfest will be included with your gold/platinum passes.

I don't understand why people keep asking about this. It says RIGHT ON THE INFO PAGE....

Operating dates, hours and ticket prices for WinterFest will be announced at a later date. The event will be included free for 2017 Gold and Platinum season passholders.

More details: https://www.visitkingsisland.com/what-s-new/winterfest

Thanks for the link Robb.

The information I had did not mention it. After looking at the official release, it looks like it's only included for 2017 platinum pass holders...not 2016.

And that would be becuase the event will not open until Fall of 2017.

True, but I didn't think you're 2016 pass expired until the end of the year. I've used a current year pass at Knotts in the past during December .

Thanks for the link Robb.

The information I had did not mention it. After looking at the official release, it looks like it's only included for 2017 platinum pass holders...not 2016.

And that would be becuase the event will not open until Fall of 2017.

True, but I didn't think you're 2016 pass expired until the end of the year. I've used a current year pass at Knotts in the past during December .

You're right, it doesn't expire until the end of the year (12/31/2016). Your 2016 pass is irrelevant for an event not occurring until 2017.

It's only relevant if it has an expiration date on it next year. I would hope that it doesn't, as we may be visiting family in California next December and it would be nice to use it at Knotts.

Not sure I would drive 4.5 hours to have to pay to get in with no attractions.

I don't get the complaining. The original Winterfest they held basically had the same attractions open - carousel and the train - and it was still very popular. This is basically what they are doing here. Given that winters up here can be harsher compared to places like Dollywood and Carowinds, this will at least be something to look forward to during the holiday season and would be worth the drive from Cleveland.

Given that winters up here can be harsher compared to places like Dollywood and Carowinds

Yeah but they're about on par with Hershey, PA and Jackson, NJ. That's why people are complaining. Those parks are running coasters, and in Great Adventure's case they're running a hypercoaster. Kings Island should follow their lead and the success they're having.