TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

^ "Eastern Mid West" ?? Just repeat that grouping of words to yourself for a minute. So basically, it's the first GCI in a really small geographical location? Wow, such a feat!

I guess we can at least call it unique to the vast majority of the Kings Island market. I'm surprised they didn't go with a coaster that holds an impressive stat for marketing purposes (since people eat that stuff up) but I think the ride experience will impress most visitors. GCIs put on a wild yet comfortable ride.

^ "Eastern Mid West" ?? Just repeat that grouping of words to yourself for a minute. So basically, it's the first GCI in a really small geographical location? Wow, such a feat!

Basically, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa. Not really a small geographical location IMO, I mean there's what... 70-90 Coasters in those states but no GCI.

Indiana technically has, what, 15% of a GCI on Legend at Holiday World now?

To me, this looks like a fantastic addition to this park. I am curious on whether people who don't think t his ride is "enough," have ridden a GCI like Prowler at all, and if so, have they ridden it at night? Prowler is a really solid coaster and night rides on it are amazing. There is nothing "junior," "small," or "great for the kids," there. Same with Rumbler, Thunderhead, Lightning Racers, etc... Even if it were a little less "intense" than Prowler, have you ridden White Lightning at Fun Spot. For a family sized woody, it is really quite fun and is also thrilling.

Anywho....kudos to Kings Island.

I agree completely. No impressive stats but it will likely produce a wild ride. Hopefully that translates to the KI audience. I've been on most GCIs in the U.S. and if this rides anything like Gold Striker it will be incredibly out of control, full of airtime, and rather intense.

Pretty happy with the announcement, basically what I expected after seeing the drawings and knowing the location of the ride. Plus, it will be my first GCI, and the first one in the Midwest as well (unless you count Worlds of Fun as Midwest).

The first one...besides Kentucky Rumbler, Thunderhead, and American Thunder.

Ah, I don't really consider Kentucky or Tennessee Midwest. Most people probably wouldn't either. I guess you got me with Evil Knievil, so okay, 2nd GCI in the Midwest.

West TN is midsouth, East TN is southeast... there ya go.

I don't know - it's a NoLimits sim, but the hills look much more drawn-out than those of Prowler.

Probably has to do with the awkward FOV present in No Limits, give off that fish-eye effect a bit which distorts the real picture.

Just my 2 cents.

So many people complaining, and I'm just sitting here counting the days until next season so I can go ride this thing at night. seriously though, I for one am very happy with this announcement. It looks to be a wonderful addition to the park. Even without the shed, and whatever happens therein, I'd still be stoked to ride. Congrats to KI!

I'd say it looks like a pretty solid addition. It's nothing mind blowing, but that obviously wasn't the intention here. They were going for something for the entire family. But either way, if it ends up even remotely like Lightning Run (my only GCI), it will definitely be a great addition.

Also, in GP eyes, Banshee, Diamondback, heck even Firehawk are all incredibly intense coasters. This of course makes it look like a massive gap in the lineup, as it doesn't look intense because it doesn't go very high or invert or anything. I think they think that wooden coasters aren't intense whatsoever. This all, I think, would explain those horrible reactions on Facebook, etc.

As for the contents of the Mystic Shed, has anyone considered the possibility of a Wonder Mountain Guardian type Triotech shoot-em-up dark ride? This shed could easily be bigger than the renderings show cause it's just a rendering. I'd pay good money for airtime and the ability to defeat some cg tree spirits in the same ride.

As for the contents of the Mystic Shed, has anyone considered the possibility of a Wonder Mountain Guardian type Triotech shoot-em-up dark ride? This shed could easily be bigger than the renderings show cause it's just a rendering. I'd pay good money for airtime and the ability to defeat some cg tree spirits in the same ride.

How would this realistically work? Are they going to attach some laser guns in the trains? Seriously I want to know where you're coming from or if this is just some imaginary fantasy because this makes no sense and they're not going to add 60+ seconds to the cycle time spent in a shed.

I'm so happy that GCI and Gravity Group woodies are still an option. The best wood coasters (traditional feeling) out there. I enjoyed Thunderhead as much as Lightning Rod at Dollywood as both are completely different ride experiences. Sometimes you just want a wood coaster to feel like one and this one definitely will along with feeling out of control like all of their coasters. I'm sure it'll have a lot more air than Beast or Racer, while being more ejector than Diamondback. Definitely a great addition.

As for the shed, either it goes backwards under the track or a drop track.

How would this realistically work? Are they going to attach some laser guns in the trains? Seriously I want to know where you're coming from or if this is just some imaginary fantasy because this makes no sense and they're not going to add 60+ seconds to the cycle time spent in a shed.

While I don't think there will be a laser attachment, I do think the "shed' section will be a decent amount of time. Maybe up to a minute. If they're using the shed as a block to get 3 trains, there are a couple ways the ride could be blocked but this would be the main idea: train in station, train on lift, train over lift, and in shed (shorter shed time). There are a couple other ways of blocking, but they would be a bit unbalanced.

Basing the time on prowler as an estimate, you would be looking at around 1:30 for each block. Again this is an approximate tim and I would guess the time would be around 1 minute. The main purpose of the shed is to allow for 3 train operation. In order to accommodate for the long wait time on the brake run, they add a themed section with projection mapping and some practical effects and voila, what would be a necessary evil, becomes a selling point of the ride.

While I don't think there will be a laser attachment, I do think the "shed' section will be a decent amount of time. Maybe up to a minute. If they're using the shed as a block to get 3 trains, there are a couple ways the ride could be blocked but this would be the main idea: train in station, train on lift, train over lift, and in shed (shorter shed time). There are a couple other ways of blocking, but they would be a bit unbalanced.

Basing the time on prowler as an estimate, you would be looking at around 1:30 for each block. Again this is an approximate tim and I would guess the time would be around 1 minute. The main purpose of the shed is to allow for 3 train operation. In order to accommodate for the long wait time on the brake run, they add a themed section with projection mapping and some practical effects and voila, what would be a necessary evil, becomes a selling point of the ride.

I don't know that there's a need for the shed segment to take so long. Not every block needs to take an equivalent amount of time. Look at Banshee, for example--a ride that runs three trains efficiently with no mid-course. The lift is around 30 seconds, 50 seconds (give or take) to the first set of brakes, then back to the second set of brakes into the station. That around 90 seconds from dispatch to brakes, again that's a rough estimate. This GCI probably has a similar lift hill time, and maybe 5-10 seconds quicker on the course. Unless the train requires a vastly different amount of time to load/unload, what's the need for such a long time in the shed? I see it as just an addition of another block and time to make up for the slightly shorter ride time than most coasters with three train operation. You don't need a 3 minute ride to operate three trains.

Reading any new coaster thread on here always hurts my brain. How about this, go out and RIDE IT. after you do that then you can judge it. There have been many rides that i thought would be new number 1 (Wildfire, Megalites) that end up being good but not OMG blow my mind away. I don't judge a ride until i ride it, and i don't buy into this fan boy stuff where you have to ride in the left seat on the 3rd tuesday of July when it is exactly 87.2 degrees outside.

In the end, stop bitching on a forum and go out and enjoy the coasters with friends.

I Will upload my pics and videos of construction so far, and announcement video, but THERE WILL BE ANOTHER ANNOUNCMENT IN AUGUST FOR SOMETHING ELSE COMING IN 2017.

Literally shocked us all last night when Don said that this was one of two things coming for 2017. But overall, This is a great addition to the park, whether you love it or hate it. I may return to the park to work next year to try to work on the ride

Reading any new coaster thread on here always hurts my brain. How about this, go out and RIDE IT. after you do that then you can judge it. There have been many rides that i thought would be new number 1 (Wildfire, Megalites) that end up being good but not OMG blow my mind away. I don't judge a ride until i ride it, and i don't buy into this fan boy stuff where you have to ride in the left seat on the 3rd tuesday of July when it is exactly 87.2 degrees outside.

In the end, stop bitching on a forum and go out and enjoy the coasters with friends.

Man, the amount of complaining on KI's Facebook page over this coaster is ridiculous. So many entitled brats that think every business they encounter "owes" them something

I don't understand why anyone on here is disappointed though considering the layout leaked WEEKS ago. Sure it's not the biggest, tallest, fastest, most intense, unique, or "OMG RMC insanity!!" type of wooden coaster, but its still a new modern wooden coaster that I think fills a little bit of a void the park had. All their current wooden coasters were built back in the 70's so to finally get a smooth, modern, and just plain FUN new woodie is great IMO. Perfect addition that will be attractive to many ages and demographics.

I mean even though it's what many people want, and because we're the generation that grew up playing "dream-maker" in RCT and No Limits, not everything can be your "coaster enthusiast RMC/Intamin mega mondo airtime monster of insanity wet dream" lol

Man, the amount of complaining on KI's Facebook page over this coaster is ridiculous. So many entitled brats that think every business they encounter "owes" them something

Yeah, that's kinda the point of a business. If I give you my money, you owe me something in return. I get what your saying, and I agree about 50%.

For about half of the Cedar Fair parks, I disagree with you entirely. For parks like Valleyfair, Michigan's Adventure, Dorney Park, etc. prices go up every year and yet they add almost nothing of substance. I understand that frustration, as loyal customers are paying more for the exact same product they got last year. I don't think a park needs a mega thrill coaster every five years, but dont tell me that you should charge me close to $60 to get into your park, nickel and dime me with services such as Fast Lane Plus, overpriced food, etc. and then tell me nothing has changed since 2011 when I payed $50 to get in the exact same park and ride almost the exact same rides. That's BS in my opinion. Feel free to disagree.

People have the right to complain if they chose. Believe it or not, every time someone complains on the Internet, no one gets hurt. If I were KI, I'd want to know what people think of the ride so that I can make future decisions accordingly. Is it kinda stupid to judge a ride before you ride it? Absolutely. But the GP doesn't spend as much as we do on theme parks and will spend their money elsewhere if they're not impressed.

HOWEVER, I do really like this coaster and the way KI is going in general. I definitely will be spending my money at KI if the opportunity arises.

My take on Mystic Timbers.

1. It has a fun layout that is comparable to other GCIs that are considered very good. The obvious comparison is Prowler, which beat Diamondback for best new ride of 2009 in the Amusement Today poll (for what it's worth...let's not forget that Wild Eagle beat Skyrush and Leviathan, and that Harry Potter ride beat Intimidator 305).

2. It's a nice addition to KI. They don't yet have a modern wood coaster.

3. Even though we get why this makes sense, the differences from the other coasters are more subtle than the differences between Diamondback and Son of Beast and Banshee. This will make advertising a bit more challenging, I assume, than it would be for a giga. At the same time, it can't be that to advertise a roller coaster that's over 100 feet tall.

4. Awful name. "Shivering Timbers" is a brilliant name because of the pun. There is no such brilliance here.

It will take a giga or an original RMC or RMCed Beast (or something similarly impressive) to get me to drive the ten hours back to KI, but whenever I go, I expect to ride MT several times and enjoy it.