TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

I guess I'm only disappointed because I have never ridden a GCI that I liked. I have always been beat to death on them.

(Looking at you Wildcat)

Ride Thunderhead at Dollywood. You'll change your mind.

And if you end up not liking Thunderhead then, well, there's just no helping you.

The GP's voice matters a lot more to parks than the voice of enthusiasts, so one has to wonder with the response this (and other new traditional wooden) coasters have been getting if major parks are going to stop investing in coasters like these.

It can't be fun making an announcement like this and seeing the responses we're seeing on Facebook and other social media.

I guess I'm only disappointed because I have never ridden a GCI that I liked. I have always been beat to death on them.

(Looking at you Wildcat)

Ride Thunderhead at Dollywood. You'll change your mind.

And if you end up not liking Thunderhead then, well, there's just no helping you.

It's a bit rough for me. It was really good when it first opened, but like other GCIs, it's age is apparent.

^You know what, you're right. It's scaled up 8.9%. Huge mistake. Jakizle, go back to school. Jesus, people.

That wasn't my point. The point is that it really won't feel much different size wise, like everyone's saying.

It probably won't feel much different unless you ride both of them hundreds of times in back to back days. In answering your question though, it depends what measure you're using for "scale" but based on height it's a little under 10%, but the drop is more than 10% longer (which actually makes me question the accuracy of Prowler's speed if you're saying its 51.2mph, kinda like how Colossus somehow lost 5mph in its conversion to Twisted Colossus).

I was answering sarcastically but it actually probably is somewhere around 10% larger in every aspect, even if it's hardly noticeable.

Mystic Timbers should be very fun right out of the box, and hopefully it's maintained well over the long run. I still can't figure out why Lightning Racer is glass smooth year after year, while sister coasters like Roar and even Wildcat just across the midway can jack hammer like nobody's business.

I'm all for parks getting modern "depth" coasters like this, which should still be very fun and thrilling. Someone referred to the lopsided division in coaster modernity at Carowinds & Wonderland a few pages back, and I agree. By today's standards, family thrills shouldn't just mean clunky rides from 1989. I'm also impressed that KI is willing to stand by and reinforce its legacy of wooden coasters. Even if we all know the feel of a GCI coaster, this will still be unique. I'd much rather have another way to scamper through the trees at night at KI over an off-the-shelf wing coaster in the parking lot.

I also don't mind the name! It's probably been mentioned (I haven't caught up to all comments yet), but this looks inspired by Th13teen/Verbolten -- a fine theme for heading off into the woods. I'm not going to specifically reroute 2017 plans to KI for this, but I'll undoubtedly look forward to riding it when I can.

I love the look of the layout, the manufacturer and the name. I am in the minority, it sounds like.

I am extremely excited for this, but only wish it was coming to CP instead...

I'm with you Steve

As others have said, Kings Island just has so many of these mediocre coasters. There are so many "medium thrill rides" and a true lack of really exciting coasters for a park of this size. As KI posted on Twitter, this combines the best aspects (debatable) of The Beast and Racer...but we've already ridden The Beast and Racer, so why not bring us something completely different? Sure, Carowinds, Canada's Wonderland, Hersheypark, etc. built new coasters similar to their existing attractions, but those additions were taller, faster, and longer...KI is building something smaller, slower, and shorter--with the same height restriction. It would be like Holiday World building The Voyage first, and then a few decades later announcing Raven. I can hear the marketing team receiving the original plans now: "Well shit. What are we supposed to do with this?" "Uh...put a box at the end and tell them there's something cool in there. We'll come up with the rest later."

Also, why does GCI continually butcher the best element a coaster can offer? These wide, turning first drops are such a waste.

Pretty happy with the announcement, basically what I expected after seeing the drawings and knowing the location of the ride. Plus, it will be my first GCI, and the first one in the Midwest as well (unless you count Worlds of Fun as Midwest).

I can understand the disappointment its not a B&M Giga, but I think we already knew it wasn't going to be that. Honestly what did people expect from this?

As others have said, Kings Island just has so many of these mediocre coasters. There are so many "medium thrill rides" and a true lack of really exciting coasters for a park of this size

Everybody's different I guess but I don't know that I agree with this.

When the sun's out they don't have any top tier, world beating top 10 rides like a Maverick / Millennium Force but they do have some outstanding coasters. Their lineup feels very complete to me. The second part of this will probably make a lot of people shake their heads but Diamondback and Bat are probably the stars for me and Banshee and Flight of Fear are only a small step down (I'd actually put Flight of Fear on that top level but this one is a lot bumpier than the KD version). The rest of the lineup is fun but not amazing (with the exception of Vortex which is awful), they have a nice flat collection... I really don't feel like the park is missing anything like I do with a park like Dorney for example.

...And then when the sun goes down they have the best coaster in America. Period.

Pretty happy with the announcement, basically what I expected after seeing the drawings and knowing the location of the ride. Plus, it will be my first GCI, and the first one in the Midwest as well (unless you count Worlds of Fun as Midwest).

The first one...besides Kentucky Rumbler, Thunderhead, and American Thunder.

...but we've already ridden The Beast and Racer, so why not bring us something completely different?

Given Cedar Fair's recent history of tapping big B&Ms and GCI, I'm curious what you thought it might have had up its sleeve. Big thrills would have likely meant a B&M giga or wing coaster, and both could happen down the road, but neither would be so different in experience from Diamondback or Banshee. I just don't see Cedar Fair calling for something like a custom Blue Fire, Karnan, or iSpeed anytime soon.

Why does GCI get such a bad rap for having "average" wooden coasters. I feel like enthusiasts let quantity of a coaster type diminish quality even though they don't correlate.

If Gold Striker was the only GCI in existence, people would say "OMG it's one of the best wooden roller coasters ever GCI should build more of these!!!!" but since we already have many GCIs, they seem to have lost their flavor in the enthusiast world for not being innovative and one of a kind.

After riding more recent GCIs like Gold Striker, American Thunder, and White Lightning.. I think it's safe to say this coaster will pack a punch even if it doesn't have an impressive stat, and it will most certainly fill a void at Kings Island. What's not to love about fast pace, low to the ground, quick directional changes, and ample airtime, all while snaking through the woods?

As others have said, Kings Island just has so many of these mediocre coasters. There are so many "medium thrill rides" and a true lack of really exciting coasters for a park of this size

Everybody's different I guess but I don't know that I agree with this.

When the sun's out they don't have any top tier, world beating top 10 rides like a Maverick / Millennium Force but they do have some outstanding coasters. Their lineup feels very complete to me. The second part of this will probably make a lot of people shake their heads but Diamondback and Bat are probably the stars for me and Banshee and Flight of Fear are only a small step down (I'd actually put Flight of Fear on that top level but this one is a lot bumpier than the KD version). The rest of the lineup is fun but not amazing (with the exception of Vortex which is awful), they have a nice flat collection... I really don't feel like the park is missing anything like I do with a park like Dorney for example.

...And then when the sun goes down they have the best coaster in America. Period.

I'll chime in here and say that I thought their collection was above average and there definitely aren't any glaring holes in their lineup, but until nighttime there's really nothing that would make me want to travel specifically for Kings Island. I can actually really appreciate that their best ride (Diamondback, probably) isn't miles and miles ahead of the rest of their lineup and there's no massive gap in quality going from say the number two to number three (ahem... Carowinds).

That said, I don't think I could say the same before Diamondback and Banshee. Those two are really good for the park that round out a top three but dont make the rest of the lineup seem like complete crap.

Edited by Password121

Ah, I don't really consider Kentucky or Tennessee Midwest. Most people probably wouldn't either. I guess you got me with Evil Knievil, so okay, 2nd GCI in the Midwest.

Ah, I don't really consider Kentucky or Tennessee Midwest. Most people probably wouldn't either. I guess you got me with Evil Knievil, so okay, 2nd GCI in the Midwest.

I would not consider Tennessee of Kentucky Midwest either. Renegade was the second behind Evil Kneivil.

I would not consider Tennessee of Kentucky Midwest either. Renegade was the second behind Evil Kneivil.

Kansas City is DEFINITELY midwest. Also, Ozark Wildcat was in the Midwest too.

Kansas City is DEFINITELY midwest. Also, Ozark Wildcat was in the Midwest too.

Guess I should have specified EASTERN Midwest, oh well...

Hopefully inside the shed is some Disney-quality special effect where the overgrowth comes alive and tries to devour the train Well anyhow it would be nice for the first and only season that It actually was functional lol.

It's nice they are keeping this "in the woods" after they massacred to many trees to create the open space around Diamondback. The only thing they could have done better is to have a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonger tunnel, Beast-style. But maybe that will come in the future! In the beginning Beast's 2nd tunnel was 2 short tunnels and the helix finale was not enclosed.

I have NEVER ridden a GCI that I didn't like except for Gwazi. And that was only because of horrible maintenance and neglect, not because of bad layout or design. CGI's twisters are especially fantastic to look at and have such create turns, banks and crossovers.

To me, this looks like a fantastic addition to this park. I am curious on whether people who don't think t his ride is "enough," have ridden a GCI like Prowler at all, and if so, have they ridden it at night? Prowler is a really solid coaster and night rides on it are amazing. There is nothing "junior," "small," or "great for the kids," there. Same with Rumbler, Thunderhead, Lightning Racers, etc... Even if it were a little less "intense" than Prowler, have you ridden White Lightning at Fun Spot. For a family sized woody, it is really quite fun and is also thrilling.

Anywho....kudos to Kings Island.

^ "Eastern Mid West" ?? Just repeat that grouping of words to yourself for a minute. So basically, it's the first GCI in a really small geographical location? Wow, such a feat!

Basically, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa. Not really a small geographical location IMO, I mean there's what... 70-90 Coasters in those states but no GCI.