TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

My biggest questions here are the train stats: Three trains; four riders per car and six cars per train. Whatever's in the shed must allow for three-train operation with minimal/no stacking. Also, the four riders/car and six cars/train do not sound like the typical millennium flyers to me. Maybe a typo or are these a new generation?

And then: Race for your life Charlie Brown: what is the status of the log flume?

Can't wait to hear how the night ride compares to Beast, especially with the contents of the shed. My prediction: a lot of Lockers.

Looks like a great layout to get RMCed in the future

But really, I'm intrigued by the surprise and new information to come, and this should be a fun construction to watch and look forward to when I'm in the area. It's not gonna be the most anticipated coaster of 2017 (surely there will be others), but it looks like it could be a really fun ride with some great moments of airtime and a great setting.

The complainers are out in full force on Facebook. I think I could even feel much of the crowd tonight going "What the hell?" LOL.

This ride is pretty much exactly what I thought it would be, which in one sense is disappointing since I didn't feel surprised watching the videos, but on the other hand I'm stoked that a GCI is coming to KI. While they may not be 10/10 amazing, every single one I've ridden is at least REALLY fun (except Gwazi, but that's BGT's fault lol), and pretty re-ridable. Though the whole shed thing makes me really perplexed. The thing I'm most curious about is the appearance of a lack of any radial turn into the station. It just looks like one track ends and another begins. Very odd, though it may make more sense when they actually build it. KI, you have me really curious...

Also, regarding the second announcement coming later, my prediction is it will be a 45th anniversary celebration with various small park upgrades. I'm not sure I would expect a second major attraction. Who knows though.

This looks completely terrible in every way. Cedar Fair just doesn't care about quality anymore. Time to give my money to a more deserved chain. Smh.

You're kidding... right? If not then please do head on over to any six flags thread... preferably Six Flags America.

Duh. SFA is trash and doesn't have anything compared to this.

This looks completely terrible in every way. Cedar Fair just doesn't care about quality anymore. Time to give my money to a more deserved chain. Smh.

You're kidding... right? If not then please do head on over to any six flags thread... preferably Six Flags America.

Duh. SFA is trash and doesn't have anything compared to this.

I posted that right after you posted this:

giphy.gif

LOL I was kidding. This looks incredible.

My bad.

Lol people on Facebook acting like this is a kid ride... have you ever ridden a GCI coaster???? I'm done with reading Facebook comments for awhile... don't want to make myself jump off a cliff before I even get to ride this thing

I'm actually pretty jealous KI gets this amazing GCI meanwhile KD is stuck with Hurler.

Lol people on Facebook acting like this is a kid ride... have you ever ridden a GCI coaster???? I'm done with reading Facebook comments for awhile... don't want to make myself jump off a cliff before I even get to ride this thing

Well in their defense the name does sound like a kids ride

Maybe the shed holds a Rotating Section (i.e Haunted Swing) that the train sits in the middle of,

and the walls go round and round it? And then, it just exits into the station.

Edited by Nrthwnd

The beast did this type of coaster (terrain wooden) better 35ish years ago. 16 years ago the same park put in a 7000 foot 200 tall wooden coaster with a loop. The same park also put in the world's biggest invert and a universal-quality themed flat ride. So this ride is just a meh from me. Reliable, slightly above average wooden coaster in a park that already has several coasters that fit into this category.

It seems like they wanted a family addition that grew into a really good family addition, but it doesn't wow me in context of their Other rides or past history.

I just want to say that if Busch Gardens Tampa suddenly announced that Gwazi was finally being torn down and being replaced by this, I'd be a happy guy. Wooden coasters are hard to come by down here in Florida.

Looks pretty solid to me and while GCI doesn't build the best rides on the planet necessarily, it's still a great addition to the line-up you guys already enjoy at this park. Plus, as a few people have said, it'll be a great "night ride" through the woods without having to have your a$$ kicked by The Beast.

Going to this area next year anyway, excited to check it out.

This is just a crazy thought, but notice how it stops before entering the shed. Maybe it's setting up for a launch of like 10mph or so directly into the station brakes. I still think by the time it opens it would be the world's first launching wooden coaster that operates.

I think overall it's a pretty good fit for the park, and any ride that can utilize the woods at this park is doing it right. Another true major thrill coaster will come at some point, so only three years after Banshee I think they've done well for themselves.

Also, it seems like Kings Island has a thing for building the least gimmicky lineup of roller coasters of any park ever. Like if someone said "You have 10 roller coaster types to make the most well rounded park imaginable," I imagine most of that would pretty closely match Kings Island's collection. Like they're really covering all the bases here before they try to do some ridiculous giga coaster that makes every other ride seem like crap and have massive holes in their lineup behind the best few rides.

I think overall it's a pretty good fit for the park, and any ride that can utilize the woods at this park is doing it right.

Like they're really covering all the bases here before they try to do some ridiculous giga coaster that makes every other ride seem like crap and have massive holes in their lineup behind the best few rides.

I can't imagine WHERE you might be referring to!?!?

As for my thoughts on Mystic Timbers, I have no complaints! Yeah, it's not an RMC, but I think we all really knew that going into the announcement, and as I posted WAY earlier in this thread, even if it's White Lightning in the woods, it's going to be awesome. And it looks a lot better than that in my opinion!

I don't even see what's so bad about the name... Either this or SplinterCat are better than what a lot of coasters get named these days, and given that it's marketed toward a family/younger child crowd, I think the name really works. If there's one thing kids can't resist, it's the promise of something scary, even if they know they're probably going to be scared by it. I can't wait to show my kids the video, and name, later today, and see their response! They also haven't been to KI yet, so I'm eagerly anticipating taking them there for the first time next year!

Regarding the location, I think it's safe to say RFYLCB is safe (congrats, Bill!), which makes me happy, since Flumes need to stop dying off, and I haven't ridden that one yet myself. From watching the POV, you can see that the station points out to the area where the old Funnel Cakes stand was before turning to the right (In fact, if you look down at the cleared ground there in the POV, you can actually see an image of the Funnel Cakes stand from the old satellite view). So this means that the cleared out area will likely be for the ride entrance plaza, and potentially some of the queue as well. It is also what leads me to say fairly definitively that RCFYLCB is staying, since that location seen on the POV would place the top of the "T" portion of the layout just below the flume.

I also think that the reason the track is so high off the ground, is clearly that the train needs to go underneath it, as it goes right by where the station is going to be. Looking at the 3D track layout render, I would guess that it goes underneath the part of the track right after the turn out of the station. In fact, I believe at the very start of the POV, you can see the train track going right by there. That would place it going underneath the second little "shed" at the end of the coaster as well.

So, this leads me to my belief that the "surprise" in the shed is NOT a drop section of track, as awesome as that would be. I suppose it could drop, and then just come up again, so we can't completely rule it out. However, if I were a betting man, I would put my money on the sheds featuring some sort of interactive screens, or animatronics, spread out over the various mini-"block sections", taken either at a stand still, or at a slow speed, just to flesh out the theme of the ride. Again, not something that will light Enthusiasts' world on fire, but will really get the younger kids excited (and, possibly terrified), and really adds a nice finishing touch to the overall experience of the coaster.

Again, I think it looks great, and speaking as a parent of three kids who will probably all love to ride this next year (as will I!), I can't be happier with the addition! KI already had CP beat in terms of being a "Family Park", and this only cements that status further! I've mentioned it elsewhere, but it bears repeating here: Cedar Fair under Ouimet has been very clearly trying to make and mold each park in its proper "image", or targeted "theme" (I'm using that word loosely, obviously - this is Cedar Fair we're talking about here!) I believe they are making it clear that Cedar Point is their flagship "Thrill Park", and "Roller Coaster Capital of the World". which is why they are loading up in that department as of late, and I believe they will continue to do so in upcoming years, starting with RMC Streak - in 2018.) Kings Island is their flagship "Family Park". and given that it's in the same state, and competing for much of the same area, that is what makes the two parks distinctive. Go to one for boundary pushing thrills, and go to the other for a more well-rounded, family friendly experience. I'm not saying KI will never see a Giga or Wing coaster, but again, I would be pretty surprised if they do, honestly... I think this is the new direction of Cedar Fair, and Kings Island, and frankly, I love it! Well done!

Isn't 3 trains unusual for a GCI? I thought most of them had two. That being the case, the rendering looks like the coaster may have an unloading station to help with capacity. I could see this as being a reality, since KI has really put a focus on capacity this season. Or at least that's the impression I have gotten after reading a few TR's.