TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

I will forever support and love Vortex. It may be my favorite coaster at the park (along with the obvious contenders of course) and I hope it lives on forever.

Just wait until you get a little age on you... That seems to change perspectives. Time is the great equalizer.

I've ridden it with a few guys in their 50s (one being my father) and they all loved it too. I do understand why many don't but from my experience and those I've ridden with, there is no issue other than a few rough spots that really don't hurt or anything. We were all similar in height and build if that is it. Something about Arrow trains are very height and bone structure specific it seems.

I think it is more dependent on height, build, and just what one considers uncomfortable more so than age.

Count me in for the Vortex love.... back car, front. But... I rode it in the front seat two Saturdays ago when it was about 85 degrees and it really kicked my butt. I think it runs more aggressively when it's hot.

I don't want to see it taken down, but I think it's days are numbered. As long as they can replace it with a large, similar, 3-train multi-looper that's a people eater.

I thought Vortex was a lot of fun. I think some of the kids that grew up on laser-cut, computer-designed, glass - smooth coasters just don't understand it. It's an old school big, intimidating beast that pushed some limits in its day. It's way more forceful than Banshee too.

I thought Vortex was a lot of fun. I think some of the kids that grew up on laser-cut, computer-designed, glass - smooth coasters just don't understand it. It's an old school big, intimidating beast that pushed some limits in its day. It's way more forceful than Banshee too.

I've greatly enjoyed Vortex both times I visited the park so far! The whole layout and combination of inversions was great! I just love Arrow Dynamics' coasters!It's a shame that they've been gone for over a decade now.

Nah... I'm certainly not a "kid", grew up on the old Arrow shite, and won't mourn the day they're all gone from the face of the earth (aside from Loch Ness Monster). I think something's gotten worse with Vortex in recent years... It didn't used to bother me so much, but now, it's "meh" on its best rides, and unrideable on its worst.

As for the debate about why some like it, and others don't... As with all coasters, it's subjective, and simply up to a matter of opinion, and personal taste in coaster-riding experiences. I think trying to assign specific reasons or rationale to why some of us like certain coasters while others don't is ultimately a futile endeavor.

Since it's the main topic. Does anyone think we could see some vintage vortex logos, etc reappear next year for the rides 30th anniversary? I'd like one of the pins that the park sells for current and some past attractions. The ride and trains could really Need a REPAINT.

^That would be cool if the park did it. Darien Lake even did something along the same lines for Viper. The track was repainted back to its original colors, and shortly after the original hideous trains got slick green decals. The ride really pops now.

It surprises me how different Viper and Vortex are really. Despite both having the same trains, track design, etc, Viper is so much smoother. You wouldn't even know it's an Arrow based just on the ride alone. Vortex pinballs a lot more around the track and really slams into the inversions.

^That would be cool if the park did it. Darien Lake even did something along the same lines for Viper. The track was repainted back to its original colors, and shortly after the original hideous trains got slick green decals. The ride really pops now.

It surprises me how different Viper and Vortex are really. Despite both having the same trains, track design, etc, Viper is so much smoother. You wouldn't even know it's an Arrow based just on the ride alone. Vortex pinballs a lot more around the track and really slams into the inversions.

Definitely noted that I should pack Advil when I visit the park this weekend.

Personally, I'd love to see King's Island get a record breaker stand up coaster. Name it something like "Cobra's Revenge" to pay homage to the original King Cobra coaster. With as few stand ups as there are these days, it'd be something that would stand out and it'd be similar to how they put Banshee at the same park that had the original suspended.

Speaking of which, why ARE there so few stand up coasters these days?

^I would think there's not much of a demand for stand up coasters these days if not none at all. They were a gimmick that grew out of the "let's see what kind of ways can we ride a coaster" days, and they can be very uncomfortable to ride. All the blood rushes to your feet during high g forces, and the bicycle style seat between your legs is also pretty uncomfortable on the groin. The last new stand up to be built was Georgia Scorcher at SFOG in 1999, 17 years ago. If it's been that long, I don't think we'll be seeing anymore built.

I think that if they replace the bicycle seat with a loose seatbelt, stand ups would be way more popular. Think of it like this, there is a very long (12-18in) seatbelt attached to the back bar, and then you pull it up between your legs and clip it into the OSTR. Then you wouldn't have such crotch pain, so its a win-win

I think that if they replace the bicycle seat with a loose seatbelt, stand ups would be way more popular. Think of it like this, there is a very long (12-18in) seatbelt attached to the back bar, and then you pull it up between your legs and clip it into the OSTR. Then you wouldn't have such crotch pain, but its a win-win for death:b

I think the whole purpose of a bicycle seat was support for the riders to keep them upright and strengthen them in case their legs would go limp... but I'm no engineer

Edited by John Peck

Stand Ups hit the market when very few alternatives were available for "unique" types of rides. The industry had already perfected the steel looping coaster and suspended coasters and you either sat down or hung sitting down on suspendeds. There were no flying or floorless or even wing style seating at the time, and the stand up coaster was perfect to give that more "dangerous" approach to standing up—which was blasphemy to do on any coaster in history.

It was a pretty neat niche coaster, but they were tougher on the legs of the riders and very hard on capacity because every seat had to be adjusted to the rider (which seemed less of a concern back in the day) .... and some crews did great to get the trains out, others just took too long. Also, rider numbers were dropping on some of the rougher ones... and you know what parks say: "Riders vote with their feet" - no pun intended. Mantis opened with 3 trains and they took one off since they would constantly stack. Capacity has increased an amazing amount since the early rides with very few large modern parks having slow-load and single-car load rides now (zipppers, smaller ferris wheels, rock o planes, roll-o-planes, sky wheels)

Fast forward to 1991 through 1999 and you had feet-dangling inverts in development and then floorless and the LIM launched ones... then at the Setpoint roller soakers the vekoma Flyers into the 2000's and all types of different models which the passenger restraints all took much less to adjust each and every seat.

So now, with so many new choices of coasters (some of the designs being 15 years old and feeling totally new to the industry (B&M Dives) I feel that the niche of the stand up coaster is just not wanted any longer. There are some great stand ups out there with great layouts... but could they be better as a floorless? Well it sure worked for Rougaro... it's so much better now.

So, do I think parks should invest in new stand up coasters? No. Do I think anyone will ever build one again? Maybe, but only to be unique if more disappear, but right now, new and exciting concepts are coming out and they are just so much more appealing to parks.