TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

The tweet about the barrel immediately made me think "barrel roll" but I haven't followed KI teasers in the past. Did they throw in a lot of red herrings before the Banshee announcement?

Hate to interrupt our regularly scheduled GCI 2017 talk but I was at the park today and I must have missed something from reports earlier in the season but when did KI install security at the front gate? It somewhat blew my mind when I first saw it this morning. Strange that CF buys the parks from Paramount and removes all traces of security the former owners installed and now they have reinstalled it. Have any of the other parks installed security check points at their front gates?

They've been doing security checks sporadically at Valleyfair this year, and I've heard they've started at MiA as well.

At VF, they brought out a few folding tables for them to go through people's bags and had a wand metal detector. So, they didn't really "install" a security checkpoint, but they do occasionally bring it out. Not sure if this is what KI is doing or not.

It's been since last year that I've been to CGA but they've had security checking bags and wand metal detectors for the last few years as far as I know.

Hate to interrupt our regularly scheduled GCI 2017 talk but I was at the park today and I must have missed something from reports earlier in the season but when did KI install security at the front gate? It somewhat blew my mind when I first saw it this morning. Strange that CF buys the parks from Paramount and removes all traces of security the former owners installed and now they have reinstalled it. Have any of the other parks installed security check points at their front gates?

I'm 99% sure that all CF parks have security at the front gate.

I know Dorney started wanding all guest on weekends, unless it has changed to everyday, but I do believe that it was a company wide thing... Unless other parks aren't doing wanding.

I know when they had the Beer festival and recently since the shootings they started checking bags and stuff. They wand us employees to.

BUT coaster talks. im about 50/50 with either a gci or an rmc. I say RMC because we've seen what they can do with wood coasters, and they can add barrel rolls like no other. A GCI with an inversion might remind people of SOB. just my two sense. I'll shut up now.

Whew! I watched all hour and five minutes of that video, and in the end, don't know a whole lot more than I suspected already. Basically, the biggest takeaway, as far as new information, is that it appears the structure will be steel supports, like White Lightning at Fun Spot. In fact, as I mentioned many pages ago, it sounds like this will be basically a White Lightning in the woods - which is an awesome concept!

One thing they didn't mention, when discussing where this coaster will go exactly, is that the Log Flume's removal was clearly teased earlier in this process, so if that wasn't a red herring, its present location will more than likely be where the upper "T" portion of the coaster will be. The presently cleared area would be the entrance to the queue, photo and merchandise building, and new plaza. The coaster hill, and drop, will be very visible to the midway that way, before disappearing back into the woods. Aligning the coaster the way I think it will end up going, based on this location, the turnaround will be just to the West of the train, and Diamondback. Also, I haven't been to the park this year, so I don't know precisely where the new entrance to the rapids ride is located, but I suspect that it was re-routed around where this coaster is going to traverse as well, as it cut straight though beforehand. I'm not a photoshop guy, so I don't have an image to show you of what I'm thinking, but hopefully a glance at Google Maps will give you a solid idea!

My two concerns with removing the log ride for the station are:

1. Crossing the train at low speed, twice.

2. Interference with WWC and crossing the train again.

Another note is that I think CF has had a lot of site planning and isn't going to install a coaster without updating the area around it.

My two concerns with removing the log ride for the station are:

1. Crossing the train at low speed, twice.

2. Interference with WWC and crossing the train again.

Another note is that I think CF has had a lot of site planning and isn't going to install a coaster without updating the area around it.

First off, it'd be nice to save the log flume, and have the entire coaster buried in the woods. I'd love that. But looking at the site imagery, and also street viewing the log flume area, it just really makes a lot of sense to me in regard to hyping excitement for the ride, to have its hill, and curved drop right there in all of its glory, on the midway, before disappearing into the woods. That's how you pique people's interest (Non-enthusiast types I'm talking of here) in a coaster, they may otherwise overlook, or be on the fence about riding.

Regarding crossing the train at low speeds, I guess I'm not sure what you're talking about, as the area I envision crossing the train (which would appear to be in the "are of work" portion of the diagram), you're going to be at or near top speed on the trip out, probably going over a hill, and then will likely be doing the same on the way back, only slower. But GCI coasters never really let up too much on speed, so I don't envision that being too much of an issue.

As for interference with WWC, the way I've aligned it in my mind, there is no interference with WWC, or the other side of the train. The coaster would stay entirely in the woods NE of that pond area.

I agree, that this will involve an updated area around it, but in this case, I think that is mainly pertaining to the updated ride plaza, gift shop, etc., which is what I believe the current visible land clearing, where the old WWC entrance, and the funnel cake building used to be. This coaster will officially be a part of Rivertown, and not Planet Snoopy, even though it'll be highly visible from there, and could attract up and coming coaster lovers to want to give it a try - which I think is part of the intent of this smaller, White Lightning type coaster. That is currently my 9 year old daughter's favorite coaster!

I could be completely off here, but when I look down at the area, and the shape of the layout we've seen, it just seems hand-crafted to fit in that spot, utilizing the RFYLCB footprint. I wish I could create one of those images like you can, to show you what I mean...

Alright. So I moved the layout North and West so the abutment crosses the train tracks near the highlighted area of work. I aligned the drop with the end of RFYLCB, which puts the station right up next to the theater, and surrounds the loading station for ACE.

DIL.png.859b4ab055c6e089717786fc592d1585.png

That's a good question. I still think it will be a new "midway" with access to WWC and the coaster. One path bridge over the tracks, and the other crossing near the current WWC entrance path.

As for orientation, the drawings confirm this running approximately 340°/160°

I think I realized that in my mind, this layout wasn't nearly as large! Are we sure of that ratio/size of the coaster, in comparison to the rest of the area?

Also, the exact orientation is a little bit different in my mind, as the upper T portion is tilted, ever so slightly, but then fits pretty much perfectly into the old RFYLCB footprint, including the part that goes back North behind Flying Ace.

Applying my tilt, and location in place of the flume, and your size of the ride, it still seems to fit there, but it definitely will interact with both the train and Diamondback, as it goes over the one, and under the other, before completing its turnaround in the woods behind the old Tomb Raider/Crypt building. This still would avoid WWC, I believe...

I used the coordinates of the highlighted area to scale and rotate the ride. Keep in mind that if the paper was tilted or curled when photographed, it will skew a little. But the straight section is pretty much dead on with the angle those coordinates give us.

I'm pretty much over all of these posts trying to figure out where it's going to fit... I'm just going to cruise over them and wait for the official announcement. Seems like it's anyone's guess at this point.

Moonshine: the Ride.

I've ridden this ride many times before... It once made me sick. Very very sick.

Whew! I watched all hour and five minutes of that video, and in the end, don't know a whole lot more than I suspected already.

Thank YOU! I got annoyed in the first few minutes lol. Glad to know I didn't miss anything.

I'm pretty much over all of these posts trying to figure out where it's going to fit... I'm just going to cruise over them and wait for the official announcement. Seems like it's anyone's guess at this point.

I've been doing this ride speculation thing for about 15 years. I enjoy putting together the little bits of information that come out.

From the permits we know:

1. Steel structure wooden coaster, with GCI style foundations

2. Main out & back section of the course runs 19.8° NNW

3. Plan view of the track covers a total length of 3250 ft (without elevation adjustment)

4. Station length near 55ft and transfer shed near 65ft. Both GCI standards.

Things we do not know:

1. Location of the loading station

2. Interaction over/under train tracks

3. Height, speed, possible inversions

4. Site plans and area development in Rivertown

I personally feel like relating anything to SOB would not be positive for the park. The GP knows all to well the woes of that coaster. And as I've stated before, I don't think KI will ever have an inverting wooden coaster again. "Wooden Coaster that goes upside down" would cause too much back lash from the public because of the SOB less than stellar run.

I personally feel like relating anything to SOB would not be positive for the park. The GP knows all to well the woes of that coaster. And as I've stated before, I don't think KI will ever have an inverting wooden coaster again. "Wooden Coaster that goes upside down" would cause too much back lash from the public because of the SOB less than stellar run.

What if they called it "Bride Of The Beast"?

What if they called it "Bride Of The Beast"?

Well, I guess that I could get down with lol