TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Go back to the park, slip the guy at the gate and the Beast greeter 50 bucks. Tell them you know Obama and it's a matter of national security.

haha dude you crack me up!!!

I'll be coming back to CVG to fly back to LAX in 3 weeks, I think I can possibly squeeze it then.

Thanks

When I went to KI in 2013, Beast was one of the last rides I got on. It was an overcast night with both a light rain and some fog by that point. My decision to rdie in the front seat that night is one of the best things I did on that trip as I didn't know what to expect. OMFG it was soooo good. Almost like a religious experience. One of my best rides ever on a coaster.

Regarding the "there is no hints so no coaster is coming" theory. You guys do realize we are still early on in the season. A lot of parks wont start dropping clues until their season is kinda almost over.

I can say without a doubt, my backrow ride on The Beast at night was the single greatest ride on a rollercoaster I have ever had. It instantly reminded me why I loved them so much and why I drove around the country for them. I would drive another 8 hours just for that ride again.

We've legitimately considered driving the 12+ hours to go to KI for Haunt, just because they close at 1:00 and we could get over 6 hours to ride the Beast at night with Fastlane. It's just so good. On that note, does anyone know if RFYLCB is open for Haunt (even during the day like KD) if so it would make it even more appealing. In advance: No I don't care how cold it gets in Ohio in October, don't ask stupid questions .

Regarding the "there is no hints so no coaster is coming" theory. You guys do realize we are still early on in the season. A lot of parks wont start dropping clues until their season is kinda almost over.

Unless it's cedar points dive.

We've legitimately considered driving the 12+ hours to go to KI for Haunt, just because they close at 1:00 and we could get over 6 hours to ride the Beast at night with Fastlane. It's just so good. On that note, does anyone know if RFYLCB is open for Haunt (even during the day like KD) if so it would make it even more appealing. In advance: No I don't care how cold it gets in Ohio in October, don't ask stupid questions .

Eh. We still ended up leaving at 11 last year, because after around 10 no one was left in the park but unruly teens, drunk people, and hood rats. The final straw was when a few kids blatantly cut in front of us in line for late night over priced garbage food. My wife is much smarter than I am, so she convinced me that it was time to leave before I ruined my career by damaging someone's thirteen year old.

Kings Island's park PR or in other words the man whose job it is to screw with us just tweeted this.

Never mind what's under the railway bridge. #KIProject2017

There are survey markers under the bridge.

Personally I am still leaning towards B&M giga. Lift hill and drop next to the train shed. Then turn left towards Diamondback's hammerhead. The return will dive under the train and pop up over the line for White Water Canyon. When the line for WWC was finished recently they installed a wire tunnel over sections complete with vines to grow over it.

The bridge dive is something that Fury 325 did as well.

I don't think they would do a giga in 2018. It looks like there's going to be a new coaster next year, so to add another coaster---a really big one---the following year seems unreasonable.

Part of the reason I think it will be a giga next year is that I want it to be, but it also makes a lot of sense. Chiefly, what else would it be? Cedar Fair isn't a huge fan of wood coasters, and a park that already has a giant wood coaster and a couple of smaller ones probably would not benefit immensely from one. I suppose it could be an RMC with all sorts of goofy banking, as they have nothing remotely like that, but if they do something like WildFire, I'm just as excited about that possibility as getting a giga. I don't think it would be a wing or floorless coaster because the ride experience is too similar to Banshee: feet hanging and inversions. Exhausting the B&M models, it could be a dive or flying coaster (or just a sit-down looper, but that's still too much like Banshee for me to think it's realistic).

There are other possibilities: a Mack launch coaster like Helix, or a terrain-based Intamin blitz coaster, something like Maverick through the woods.

Giga ends up making the most sense to me.

I wont be talking about other parks since each park decides mainly what they build not cedar fair. So instead of saying another cedar fair park should get a new coaster, I will talk just about kings island. With the worlds longest invert just a few years back I dont think they would make another big investment right away, especially since gigas are expensive.

Then again hope its not like cedar point, were I thought they weren't going to get a dive and then they did. lol it still cracks me up.

Still cant believe they got a dive.

Let me ask you, do you really want a coaster right away or wait a few years?

I wont be talking about other parks since each park decides mainly what they build not cedar fair. So instead of saying another cedar fair park should get a new coaster, I will talk just about kings island. With the worlds longest invert just a few years back I dont think they would make another big investment right away, especially since gigas are expensive.

Then again hope its not like cedar point, were I thought they weren't going to get a dive and then they did. lol it still cracks me up.

Still cant believe they got a dive.

It is obvious you have no idea how Cedar Fair is structured. The parks do have input into the system but in the end Corporate tells the parks you are getting X and here is where it is going. Cedar Fair even designs the coasters. For example we already know total the chain will spend $150 million on capital improvements this year. We also know for a fact that at least one large expensive thrill ride is being installed in the chain for 2017. History has shown that it will be a B&M the question is who is getting it. The early signs point towards King's Island but we could be wrong about who is getting the ride. Also possible it might not be B&M but that is unlikely. The items we know are from investor presentations corporate gives.

I still say GCI wood coaster, or at least that's what I'm hoping for. Remember that traditional woodies are far less expensive than steel coasters, so it's not like this would be considered a mega $20-30 million investment. I would think it would be closer to $10 million. Plus it would be great for Kings Island to have a true modern woodie, one that is fast-paced and full of tight twists, turns, and airtime. Neither Racer or Beast offer that kind of experience.

↑↑If cedar fair decided then how come they always give the same parks new rides. If they have 150 million to spend they are obviously not taking in profits from parks and giving them to other parks. Even though some parks have a larger attendance, if the smaller parks can afford one, they should get one. Even though I shouldn't be talking because my home park is Canada's wonderland which brings in a huge attendance so it usually gets lots of attention. Even though kings island has a larger attendance than other parks, its not the top priority at the moment since they just got banshee. Even though I am a fan of cw and am pretty sure that cw will be getting a (or the) new coaster which they could use since there coaster collection sucks compared to other parks such as kings island plus they need another great capacity coaster, I would prefer that another park like Michigans Adventure, Valleyfair or Worlds of fun would get it. (kinda)

↑↑If cedar fair decided then how come they always give the same parks new rides.

This discussion happens weekly, but the short answer is this: they want to make money.

And to add to that, those little parks don't generate (relatively speaking) enough money for the chain to warrant the large investments Cedar Point, Canada's Wonderland, Kings Island, and Carowinds are getting.

↑↑If cedar fair decided then how come they always give the same parks new rides.

This discussion happens weekly, but the short answer is this: they want to make money.

And to add to that, those little parks don't generate (relatively speaking) enough money for the chain to warrant the large investments Cedar Point, Canada's Wonderland, Kings Island, and Carowinds are getting.

Actually Carowinds makes like half the money either King's Island or Canada's Wonderland make. Carowinds got Fury 325 early because corporate saw a larger boost from Intimidator then they expected and rewarded it with Fury. This was discussed on an investor calls sometime after Fury 325 was announced or built.

Parks get investments based on profits they have already made and the potential for future profits.

^I guess that makes sense, I do feel kinda bad though for the other parks but at least im lucky that my home park is favorited by cedar fair. Anyway here is my list from parks that receive the less attention from least to most.

Cedar Point, Canada's Wonderland, Carowinds/Kings Island, Kings Dominion, Knotts, Dorney Park, Worlds of fun/California's great america, Valleyfair, Michigan's adventure.