TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Next time you ride Banshee look up at the wheel assembly. The bottom wheel which I have heard called the guide wheel just bounces like crazy. Not sure what the cause is but it is a very visible sign of the rattle. As the wheel jackhammers against the track it moves enough you can see a gap between the wheel and track.

I assume you're talking about the upstop wheels.

Next time you ride Banshee look up at the wheel assembly. The bottom wheel which I have heard called the guide wheel just bounces like crazy. Not sure what the cause is but it is a very visible sign of the rattle. As the wheel jackhammers against the track it moves enough you can see a gap between the wheel and track.

I assume you're talking about the upstop wheels.

i was specifically told by some who knows more than I do we are looking at a guide wheel not an upstop wheel. But I could be wrong. The upstop wheel takes the weight of the train when under negative g forces or when the train is upside down and should be tightly clamped to the rail. The guide wheels help the wheel assembly turn and keep on track.

I'm heading to the park for the first time on 7/20/16 as part of a three week graduation trip. Is it feasible to ride all the coasters (with some re-rides on the better ones), the larger flat rides, the train and Eiffel tower in one day, or is that only possible with purchasing a fast lane plus?

I'm heading to the park for the first time on 7/20/16 as part of a three week graduation trip. Is it feasible to ride all the coasters (with some re-rides on the better ones), the larger flat rides, the train and Eiffel tower in one day, or is that only possible with purchasing a fast lane plus?

I had gone to Kings Island for the first time during July 2014 and the lines weren't long mostly due to the fact that there was a heat wave at the time. We were able to ride and even re-ride all the rides we wanted to without purchasing Fast lane. It was a great two-day visit and I look forward to visiting again this June or July. Hopefully the weather conditions are similar or the same again!

You should be fine especially if you get there at opening. Ride Firehawk, FoF, and Invertigo first then go to Diamondback and Beast. Banshee's crew hauls a$$ so that line will never be above 45 minutes.

^Completely agree with above and want to stress Firehawk first is a must because it is painfully slow line. Vortex, Racer and Adventure Express lines move very quickly and normally don't ever get longer than 15 minutes all day.

Two stops at KI this weekend, and after three Banshee rides I can't believe how bad the ride has gotten. The rattle is downright terrible. This was three different rides and seats, no change... I was a big Banshee fan the past two years (with dozens of rides), but after this weekend it totally dropped to one of my least favorite B&M inverts. Headache inducing by the end of the ride. I hope it gets better by the time we go back later this season.

Only a few years and the ride already sucks. Wow I hope that issue is addressed by B&M.

Two stops at KI this weekend, and after three Banshee rides I can't believe how bad the ride has gotten. The rattle is downright terrible. This was three different rides and seats, no change... I was a big Banshee fan the past two years (with dozens of rides), but after this weekend it totally dropped to one of my least favorite B&M inverts. Headache inducing by the end of the ride. I hope it gets better by the time we go back later this season.

Only a few years and the ride already sucks. Wow I hope that issue is addressed by B&M.

I'm going to wait until I ride it myself to say the ride "already sucks." With such stark conflicting opinions it could very well be a day-to-day, weather or specific train related issue. People also experience and describe pain (in this case rattle) differently.

I'm personally still very excited to ride Banshee this July. It and The Beast at night are the two things I'm most anticipating about Kings Island.

B&M rattling

As I said previously, I rode Banshee in the very back row and experienced no rattling whatsoever. When I think of a B&M rattling, I think of Hydra at Dorney Park.

I have only noticed the rattle on the green train

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

I must say, I never even knew rattling was a thing UNTIL I rode Banshee. I remember coming through the first drop and thinking, "oh, that's what they mean."

Thing is pretty rough

To me, rattling is only bad on inverted coasters. I get migraines very easily, so when a train is shaking, and the wheels are closer to my head than to my feet, I get a headache. At my homepark, I consider Patriot rougher than even Mamba or Prowler.

That being said, Banshee has no rattle yet.

I wouldn't call Banshee glass smooth, but I wouldn't call it rough by any means. It does have a moderate amount of rattle for a B&M, but it has always been completely tolerable for me. Keep in mind I don't enjoy rough rides, which is why I don't enjoy many wooden roller coasters outside of well maintained GCI's and RMC's. I also believe the 'rattle' has been consistent and doesn't feel like it has gotten anymore rough.

Maybe some of it has to do with the rider's perspective on that particular day. How I'm feeling, how well hydrated I am, how much sleep I had the night before, etc., will dictate how much riding I want to do, if I get headaches from any rides, and if I feel like tolerating rougher rides.

All things considered, here's a pro tip: 400 MG and a couple ice cold beers are usually good motivators.

I wouldn't call Banshee glass smooth, but I wouldn't call it rough by any means. It does have a moderate amount of rattle for a B&M, but it has always been completely tolerable for me. Keep in mind I don't enjoy rough rides, which is why I don't enjoy many wooden roller coasters outside of well maintained GCI's and RMC's. I also believe the 'rattle' has been consistent and doesn't feel like it has gotten anymore rough.

Maybe some of it has to do with the rider's perspective on that particular day. How I'm feeling, how well hydrated I am, how much sleep I had the night before, etc., will dictate how much riding I want to do, if I get headaches from any rides, and if I feel like tolerating rougher rides.

All things considered, here's a pro tip: 400 MG and a couple ice cold beers are usually good motivators.

For me, this describes my ride experience in any other seat besides the back. Front row in particular has a noticeable rattle on the end seats for me but still completely bearable. Back row though... that's a different story. Ugh

What has this world come to when a B&M is being described as rough...

People being giant pansies. I kinda want Togo to have a resurgence in America so these people would properly understand what "rough" means.

What has this world come to when a B&M is being described as rough...

People being giant pansies. I kinda want Togo to have a resurgence in America so these people would properly understand what "rough" means.

Having been on a few Togo's, that is a whole different type of rough.

People like to get pissy when you talk about B&M's being rough, but those people also need to realize we are not talking Son of Beast or Togo rough here... A vibration is a very obnoxious and disruptive sensation on these rides. It’s not about slamming your head around and making your ears bleed. No, in that sense, Banshee is butter smooth. But when at the bottom of every drop the train vibrates severely it makes the ride far less enjoyable.

I will admit I am the last one to ever say anything about a "rattle", and most of the rides people complain most about I shrug off or don’t care. But Banshee was a whole different story the two nights this past weekend we rode it (Row 2 middle, Row 7 Right and Row 4 right). It just doesn’t feel like any other B&M I have been on and wasn’t isolated spots of a vibration, it was at the bottom of every drop and very intense at that.

For those who have not been on it this year, don’t try to pass this off like we are all exaggerating… Wait until you ride it (if they don’t do some type of maintenance up until that point on the chassis) and then offer your opinion. It’s bad. Not like any other B&M “rattle” I have experienced.

I don't get pissy about people complaining with B&M it just seems obscene to say a ride is rough when in that same spot a coaster resided that would try and put your back out of place. I get what you're saying that its not as smooth as other B&M's but anyone using the word rough on a B&M doesn't seem to mix for me. I'm not even a B&M fanboy either more Intamin than anything. I have been on Banshee several times this season and i have not had an issue where rattle bothered me. Things could have been different for you I don't know I can only speak on my experiences.