TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

I went to Kings Island for the first time ever yesterday. I actually had more fun there than I did at Cedar Point on Sunday. I always thought El Toro at Great Adventure was my favorite wooden coaster, but The Beast gives it a run for its money.

I went to Kings Island for the first time ever yesterday. I actually had more fun there than I did at Cedar Point on Sunday. I always thought El Toro at Great Adventure was my favorite wooden coaster, but The Beast gives it a run for its money.

Yeah, I thought the same thing three years ago when I visited both parks...KI totally crushed CP. But after visiting both parks this year, I got to give the nod to CP. With the addition of Valravn, the new totally awesome restraints on Maverick and the conversion of Mantis into Rougarou...CP wins by just having a smorgasbord of coasters to choose from. But I still agree with you on The Beast. There is no wooden coaster that compares to The Beast at night.

During the day I think El Toro crushes the Beast. The two coasters don't even belong in the same conversation. It's between an incredible airtime machine and a meandering coaster that doesn't do anything at all.

But at night though... the Beast in the front at night is the best roller coaster experience I've ever had on any coaster.

During the day I think El Toro crushes the Beast. The two coasters don't even belong in the same conversation. It's between an incredible airtime machine and a meandering coaster that doesn't do anything at all.

But at night though... the Beast in the front at night is the best roller coaster experience I've ever had on any coaster.

I loved El Toro, but it's not too forgiving on big guys like me with a belly. The ejector time is so intense, that lap bar can be very uncomfortable. But that's not the coasters fault, that's mine for being fat...lol. I agree, El Toro is the best during the day, Beast takes the crown at night.

The Beast is kind of incomparable to other coasters. It's not about airtime or quick transitions. The Beast just feels like a fun Journey through the woods, which is exactly what it is. I personally favor the lack of quick transitions over the top out of control feeling, which can be a hard pill to swallow, especially for those who choose note to have extra padding around the mid section.

Stripped down, Roller coaster vs roller coaster, the Beast may be able to unimpressively best 50% of other coasters out there. However, weighing experience vs. experience, that's where the Beast shines. This is of course heightened at night.

I'm glad you enjoyed KI. For some reason this park just really does it for me. It has a relaxing environment and just the right amount of re-ridable coasters. Also considering the fact that it's a short four hour road trip away, this is definitely my favorite park to revisit, so far.

Edited by prozach626

The news of the day while I was at Coasterstock, is snapping on the Gliders is now banned, started at 10 pm Saturday right when ERT began. It's not just ki, but all cf flying scooter rides are now banned from it. No more FUN on the Gliders!

Some more pictures of the Project 2017 site...

IMG_1406.thumb.JPG.139ed40b0246db7f06d513a966ef5f86.JPG

IMG_1416.thumb.JPG.0852760caa8257df6e2173f22ae46d02.JPG

IMG_1417.thumb.JPG.3af65f8b565a73ef5cb399d49e0f367d.JPG

IMG_1418.thumb.JPG.c7b00718ebdc729c30530e59535dbb69.JPG

IMG_1419.thumb.JPG.17c46f83ee642f9abde11f3a093273c1.JPG

Notice how there are perfectly cleared areas cutting through the woods. In fact, they look like the right width for a coaster to be able to go through. Very interesting.

While riding the train during Coasterstock this weekend, I noticed at one point that there were a few stakes layed out pretty close together in a line. If those are for footers, that could mean a wood coaster.

Could being the keyword here. Could still be anything.

How does Whitewater Canyon compare to Thunder Canyon at Dorney Park? Which one gets you wetter?

I've done both, and while Dorney's can get you more wet thanks to the waterfalls, Kings Island's is the better ride. It's faster, longer, and has some rather large rapids that are very unpredictable. The whole thing is deep in the woods so you don't see what's coming next most of the time, and there's an area at the end where guests watching can enable geysers and get riders soaked. It's probably my favorite rapids ride.

I'm still leaning toward a wooden coaster for 2017. As far as the manufacturer, I'm leaning toward GCI. But it could very well be an RMC. But I don't think its a Giga, nor a steel coaster of any type. But, we shall see.

I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be an RMC. CF has stated they are interested in testing the waters with RMC and GCI (pretty sure I saw that on here) so I could definitely see them building an RMC if this turns out not to be a giga. Personally, I would like to see an RMC at KI; Storm Chaser at Kentucky Kingdom is rather small but packs a punch, and SFGA has Goliath, one of the most successful RMCs.

I'm still leaning toward a wooden coaster for 2017. As far as the manufacturer, I'm leaning toward GCI. But it could very well be an RMC. But I don't think its a Giga, nor a steel coaster of any type. But, we shall see.

In that case I hope it's an Intamin prefab. The world needs more of those.

In that case I hope it's an Intamin prefab. The world needs more of those.

Honestly I wouldn't mind an Intamin Prefab, BUT I think Intamin would have to prove that they're reliable to Cedar Fair with their designs and everything. I only say this because I don't think Cedar Fair and intamin are on good terms at all due to the problems that occurred with I305 and Maverick.

I'm just not sold on a wooden coaster, yet. To me it just seems kind of odd that they would put a new 'state of the art' wooden coaster in so close to the nostalgic and awesome Beast. I also think that SOB is a little fresh in their minds. Although we know that a manufacturer like RMC would likely never be a failure like SOB, I wonder how the GP would perceive this kind of similar attraction. The last wooden coaster with inversions in this park didn't go over so well. I also feel like CP could benefit from wood or RMC more than KI. However, I suppose slapping a wooden coaster in KI might diversify the parks more and encourage traveling, as opposed to a similar attraction in every park.

On the flip side, I'd love to see a giga, but my gut tells me that it's not going to happen. Who knows at this point.

Based on footer timeline construction for the last two B&M's at KI, (that were quite well along by this time during the season) I really think it's not going to be one now.

My bets are now on:

Family coaster like the FireChaser Express one at Dollywood

GCI family wood

RMC

I'm really surprised they'd consider building another coaster in what would only be three years after Banshee (and lately it seems it's every five years for a new coaster at majority of the CF parks).

Second, now that John Peck said it, I could see a family coaster. It's close to Planet Snoopy and could be a great intermediate ride for kids (though Adventure Express and Racer both qualify as family coasters but aren't the height restrictions just as high as at Cedar Point?).

I wonder how the GP would perceive this kind of similar attraction. The last wooden coaster with inversions in this park didn't go over so well.
I doubt most people will remember SOB. Kings Island wouldn't have trouble marketing a big wooden coaster just because of the SOB flaws, especially if they use a real manufacturer this time.

I'm really surprised they'd consider building another coaster in what would only be three years after Banshee (and lately it seems it's every five years for a new coaster at majority of the CF parks).
GateKeeper debuted the year before Banshee, and Cedar Point got Valravn this year. I could see them doing a substantial coaster at one of their top parks.