TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

That log flume keeps a line because little kids can ride and it's right on the edge of Planet Snoopy. I still miss Keelboat

Every log flume keeps a line, but you're right. It's a great family attraction which is really the point. It has mass appeal.

Congo falls had almost full boats

So they couldn't even fill the boats on a 78 degree day while the flume's line was spilling all the way over the bridge. Like I said... nobody would miss it. Might as well re-name it Felicia the ride and tell it goodbye if you want to cut costs.

It was like that when we showed up at noon. I'm not sure later in the day.

Yesterday, the log flume had a decent line, as to where Congo falls had empty boats when we were in that area.

The great thing about log flumes...

It's a ride that the entire family can ride, you don't get absolutely soaked (not everyone wants to get soaked), it's fun, they are very popular with all age groups.

There are not a ton of rides that a family can ride together anymore outside of Disney.

Every time I've been at KI there is always a line for the log flume and White Water Canyon but hardly anyone bothers with Congo Falls, which is generally a walk-on. I think the ride gets its "spurts" of ridership where the boats are decently filled, but in the long run I don't think Congo Falls would be missed if it was taken out.

I have a different idea as to what KI could be doing with the flume. Remember what KBF did a couple years ago with their flume? Could KI be next on the revamped flume wagon? Possibly with an updated theme that deals with falling trees?

That's a great idea.

Well, I'm not trying to shoot down that idea, but there are stakes back by the train shed (not that it means its for this project) plus I doubt they spent quite a lot of money to build the new games and funnel cake stand to add to a 48-year old log ride. Knotts just heavily refurbished an existing structure.

Oh, and for the record, count me in as one of the people who would prefer it stay... I love that ride.

Maybe Cedar Fair is planning on removing the log flume and most of the trees left in 'Rivertown'. That way the area can match most of the park, limited tree coverage, nice wide walkways and trash cans.

Growing up with Kings Island as my home park it was disappointing to watch Paramount gut a lot of the theming and beauty of the park and unfortunately Cedar Fair seems determined to continue the trend. I have no problem with a park changing through time but, some parks seem to do it with grace and care and others just chop the place up.

Anybody have an idea of who today's private event is for?

Someone on Facebook said that Cincinnati Financial bought it out.

Maybe Cedar Fair is planning on removing the log flume and most of the trees left in 'Rivertown'. That way the area can match most of the park, limited tree coverage, nice wide walkways and trash cans.

Growing up with Kings Island as my home park it was disappointing to watch Paramount gut a lot of the theming and beauty of the park and unfortunately Cedar Fair seems determined to continue the trend. I have no problem with a park changing through time but, some parks seem to do it with grace and care and others just chop the place up.

Agreed! People are asking for more tree's/greenery plus flowers to make the park more beautiful, like it used to be, instead they tease about falling tree's? . Hope its just a tease and if they do, at least plant more

I was able to stop by the park on Friday for preview night since I was in Dayton for work and had an absolute blast. Instead of a long trip report I'm just going to post a few observations.

- First I felt the staff on all of the rides was trying to interact with every guest and even those being trained were showing this same effort.

- Banshee is even better than I remember my 1 ride from last year on opening day.

- I finally got to ride Diamondback which is probably one of my favorite B&M hypers with Nitro sitting in the same spot as it on my list.

The biggest thing to me was the amount of local support I see at Kings Island. I haven't seen this at any other park. Both visits (opening day last year and pass holder preview this year) I encountered many families and locals just elated the park was open again, and this year I ran into a local who ended up hanging out with me. He was an enthusiast as well and made for some great conversation.

Hopefully I'll be able to return the KI in the future for a full day to really enjoy the entire park, but my two lucky quick work trips were definitely worth the time at this charming park!

We always visit Kings Island on opening weekend as its kind of a tradition. But this year for some reason was just ridiculous as far as operations go. I don't really blame the employees as it seemed to be more of a computer issue than anything, but the lines for the all the food stands were just ridiculously long. Ride operations seemed to be running very smooth for an opening weekend.

Even with all the problems we still had a blast. It's kind of hard not to have a good time at this park. I was going to do a full trip report but I was stupid and didn't bring my memory card with my camera so some the pictures I took with my phone will have to suffice.

One big complaint I have about Kings Island and most other theme parks, are these stupid basketball games. I think it's one of the worst ideas to give out inflated basketballs in a theme park. I couldnt tell you how many times we have been hit by teenagers throwing the basketballs and bumping into people while going to retrieve one.

A new prepaid card system is in place this year for all the games. I don't see this as being much of a success as people walking up to play a game tried handing over money,and the workers pointed them in the direction of the card kiosks to purchase a card just to play games. As I was waiting for my family to get off a roller coaster, I was kind of watching this and a lot of people just walked away instead of going thru the trouble of getting a card.... a lot of lost Revenue here.

We really enjoyed the new Hollywood show at the festhaus, expecially the trivia part before the show starts. It looks like the rock show will be returning a little later this summer and there's a new Circus Soleil type show this year as well. looking forward to both of them.

I love the layout of the park, but the one thing that always confused me was that pathway between the Eiffel Tower and the Beast along the side of Diamondback and next to stunt track. this is a very dead area, and would benefit from a flat ride or something. The only thing on this pathway is a tropical drink stand that's never open.

Park is looking great, and the weather. was perfect for this weekend. we had a great time and hope to return back to kings island very soon.

20160415_223912.thumb.jpg.9bc04bc73c19a6599d161e70ea779bfa.jpg

The new soccer game.

20160415_224038.thumb.jpg.3cec397053cbbed60a65c16974363507.jpg

Diamondbacks splash down.

20160416_154236.thumb.jpg.e9dd124eefaa67c639367a3958487db0.jpg

The new Hollywood show.

20160415_223854.thumb.jpg.e8a56820ce660cfa763933837aa499af.jpg

Another new basketball game...meh

20140419_150954.thumb.jpg.c402b9165179d66cf4dccd179d403236.jpg

Important notice.

Where did you ride DB? Last year, the last couple or so rows vibrated terribly.

I rode it in the second to last row. I really enjoyed the ride and I guess it did vibrate slightly, but it didn't take away from the whole ride experience. I would imagine as a first time rider things like "vibrations" go under the radar because you are so invested and green to the whole experience

I would imagine as a first time rider things like "vibrations" go under the radar because you are so invested and green to the whole experience

I rode it for the first time back in 2011 and I couldn't believe how terrible it was. I'm not one to complain about painful rides, but I made the mistake of giving it another chance - actually, one more chance in the back car again and another in the front row - and actually walked off with a headache.

Another new basketball game...meh

It's actually not new. It's relocated from its old spot where the new Funnel Cake place is now.

But yes, I agree. It's easy for someone to lose their basketball that they're dribbling and have it roll and trip someone. Not fun...

I would imagine as a first time rider things like "vibrations" go under the radar because you are so invested and green to the whole experience

I rode it for the first time back in 2011 and I couldn't believe how terrible it was. I'm not one to complain about painful rides, but I made the mistake of giving it another chance - actually, one more chance in the back car again and another in the front row - and actually walked off with a headache.

Honestly, the back of the train (the outer seats, specifically) have been rattly since it opened in 2009. The worst part of the ride is the bottom of the hill between the exit of the hammerhead and the trimmed hill. It's like riding through gravel.

Row 2, best ride!

A new prepaid card system is in place this year for all the games. I don't see this as being much of a success as people walking up to play a game tried handing over money,and the workers pointed them in the direction of the card kiosks to purchase a card just to play games. As I was waiting for my family to get off a roller coaster, I was kind of watching this and a lot of people just walked away instead of going thru the trouble of getting a card.... a lot of lost Revenue here.

Sounds like a great idea, but a terrible execution. I'm all for prepaid card (and gift cards are like free money for businesses since so many people forget about/don't use everything) but it should just be another option, not the only way to pay for something. Especially at games, where half of the reason people stop to play is because it's convenient at the moment. I don't think I've ever seen someone actually wait in a line to play a game.

Sounds like a great idea, but a terrible execution. I'm all for prepaid card (and gift cards are like free money for businesses since so many people forget about/don't use everything) but it should just be another option, not the only way to pay for something. Especially at games, where half of the reason people stop to play is because it's convenient at the moment. I don't think I've ever seen someone actually wait in a line to play a game.

Being at the games department at DP, we are trying cash registers at midway games, by talon, and I feel like they might be a little hard to use when a game is busy. But a prepaid card? I guess it's kind of like fast pay in some way, but as thrillrider said, there will be a lot of lost revenue there because people won't go pay to get a prepaid card.

And Ive seen my far share of lines for games.

Diamondback is the only B&M where I've ever noticed the "rattle" I hear so much complaining about on basically every B&M in existence.

We noticed that it was rattly in the back of the train and smoother up front but we also noticed that it offers more airtime than any B&M hyper I've ridden aside from Fury and maybe Apollo in the last row when you ride near the back of the train. We found the rattle to be such a non issue that we gladly kept hopping in the last few rows because of the great floater air down the first drop. We noticed the rattle but I'd still refer to it as a very smooth ride and one of our favorite B&M hypers. It's really a non issue. A rattly B&M is still smoother than the vast majority of coasters in existence.