TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

I'm wondering if they'll use Son of Beast's old station for the new B&M Giga gate coaster rumored for 2017 or 2018? If so, it's gonna be one long ride...Possibly longer than Fury 325? Maybe they even use the Son of Beast name. If the rumors are true, it's going to be interesting.

I don´t agree with the front gate coaster thing simply because Matt has said that KI already has a fantastic front gate. I don´t see a giga happening either tbh. In a park that doesn´t get very good ROI for new attractions, I don´t think a $30 million giga coaster is the answer.

Roller coasters that could fit in that little Rivertown spot:

Compact LIM invert like Wicked Twister

S&S free spin 4D coaster

an "El Loco"

A sky loop/ Premier's better version of a sky loop

An 800 foot tall polar coaster

Roller coasters that I think they will put in that little Rivertown spot:

A sky roller, though. I had the opportunity to ride that sort of ride at Dreamworld Gold Coast, and it was fantastic. I would be ecstatic if that's what they're planning to put in that spot.

As far as a giga goes... I can see them doing it, but I can't see them doing the gatekeeper thing with it. I'd say it's much more likely to start in the old SOB station and travel around the behind x-flig--- I mean firehawk and flight of fear.

If KI and CW are getting big coasters for 2017/18 and with CGA's upcoming expansions, I guess KD will continue to get shafted

Why do you think CW is getting something big?

Screamscape seems to think so. They also thought Michigan's Adventure was getting a clone of Lightning Run this year, though, so...

A giga could definitely work for KI, but not as a "gate coaster." I could see the station going where Dinos Alive is now, stretching behind Firehawk and Flight of Fear and into the old SOB/Safari land.

As far as the Rivertown expansion goes, I'd rather see the Antique cars return over a coaster, but if a coaster is in the works, my choice would be a GCI twister. As great as Racer and Beast are, KI could use another more modern woodie. Something compact and fast-paced like Thunderhead.

The only problem I see with KI getting a Giga coaster is Cedar Point being 3 hours away. From a locals perspective, yes, the park could likely support one. From a business perspective however, taking away from Millennium Force at their flagship park and undermining it with a bigger Giga 3 hours away is bad business. We'll see what happens, Banshee was a great addition and there's many things the park can add besides a Giga also.

I'm. It sure that would happen in reality, a lot of GP makes a whole vacation based on being on the peninsula of CP, plus it's nothing compared to TTD to the GP... Even if it hurts for one year, the line up at CP is much more of a pull to there for many more families...

I would love to see a gate coaster at KI, but I don't think we would see it completely CHANGE the front of the park like they did at CP, that dining room over the gates is used quite a lot for events, and they would have to find a way to incorporate something of that nature into the new design...

I can see them getting a giga but it won't be "bigger" than MF. Meaning it will be shorter in height, slightly slower in speed, and shorter in length.

I am just tired of KD getting left behind in the big ride dept. Granted they got a giga a while ago but Carrowinds got a B&M hyper and then a giga 5 years later. KD got a giga and then uhh oh yeah Maxair but lost a coaster too (not that losing SW bothers me at all). KI got a B&M hyper and then a nice invert 6 years later and now probably a giga. Wonderland has gotten 3 new coasters in 6 years.

I guess since KD got Dominator from GL they held off on anything else. Rumor mill suggests all they are getting is Hurler retracked (not redone) and nothing else. I shouldn't complain to be honest since I do have both KD and BG to go to within an hour from my home.

EDIT - I may be in the minority here but if I am making a trip to CP then I am definitely going to add an extra day to go to KI as well. Both parks are so worth the visit. I enjoyed both them a lot when we went about 4 years ago

Either:

A) Giga back in the back where dino's is and stuff (ive seen dozers on the banshee webcams a couple times rooting around there) and maybe a small yet noteable flat ride in rivertown

OR

B) A rivertown complete renovation complete with a nice new GCI wooden (or RMC coaster) and park upgardes

Honestly i feel like we're getting a coaster, i would love to walk the park on opening day and try to see anything unusual happening but thats prom weekend. Cant miss that on your senior year . That next weekend (the 23rd - 24th) If i have a day off ill stay at the park and look around.

There was recently some Gold colored track spotted at the B&M plant in Batavia...........Could be going anywhere.........

The only problem I see with KI getting a Giga coaster is Cedar Point being 3 hours away. From a locals perspective, yes, the park could likely support one. From a business perspective however, taking away from Millennium Force at their flagship park and undermining it with a bigger Giga 3 hours away is bad business. We'll see what happens, Banshee was a great addition and there's many things the park can add besides a Giga also.

Well both Banshee and Diamondback are bigger than Raptor and Magnum so I don't see how KI getting a giga bigger than MF would hurt. Plus CP still has TTD so they are still the king of height in Ohio.

So myself and a few friends are thinking about making a trip to the park on May 16th. Its a bout a 5 hour drive for us, so we would come in Sunday night, get a hotel and then visit Monday the 16th. I checked the website and there doesn't seem to be any events or anything going on for that date, but was curious if anyone knew how busy the park might be that day for its first Monday of the season... wasn't sure if that may be a big school event day or anything like that...

Didn't Banshee only raise attendance by like 1%?

Obviously I haven't seen the numbers and I'm not pretending to be an expert but if that's true I don't understand why they'd choose to invest that type of money in a large coaster when putting it elsewhere in the chain would probably have a bigger impact on attendance.

Just curious...

There was recently some Gold colored track spotted at the B&M plant in Batavia...........Could be going anywhere.........

It's probably going overseas. B&M doesn't start making track for American parks this early in the year.

Didn't Banshee only raise attendance by like 1%?

Obviously I haven't seen the numbers and I'm not pretending to be an expert but if that's true I don't understand why they'd choose to invest that type of money in a large coaster when putting it elsewhere in the chain would probably have a bigger impact on attendance.

Just curious...

I think a big coaster like Fury would boost attendance more than anything. every time I talk to people around here they like Diamondback better than Banshee and point to the drop and hills. I don't often hear from people saying that Banshee is their favorite in the park.

That may be true Superbatboy, but you're talking comparing historical rides to the new ones. I visited KI for the first time last year, I had a good time. I wanted to ride The Beast at night, and ride Banshee. Diamondback is fun, but there's nothing unique about it compared to other Hyper-coasters except maybe the seats which actually slow down the load times some.

With that being said, KI is a good park, but it is the little brother of CP and it's going to remain that way. There's great potential at the park and I really thought it looked nice and I enjoyed my visit; but I was in Ohio to visit CP. I've got 3 planned trips to fly up from Texas this year to visit CP, none of those trips include a return to KI this year. I thought Banshee was great and felt it was very well done, however; whenever I tell friends who love roller coasters the place to go, you have to tell them CP if you're from coming the distance that I do. You just get much more out of it than you would just about anywhere else. SFGADV gives CP a run because of El Toro and a few others (I'm on the TTD is better than Kingda Ka boat) but it doesn't quite do it.

I also went to KD for I-305 last year, it was a great ride and a blast, but when you compare it to the rest of the park after Volcano, you don't have a whole lot for a few days of stay. It's just the way it is; I see big things and expansions for KI that will make it a blip on the screen for visits on return trips to Ohio; but the GP needs to respond for it to happen. If CoasterBill is right and 1% was all the attendance increased...that's not going to cut it.

Cedar Point and Kings Island may be three hours apart, but they have different markets. A significant portion of Cedar Point's attendance comes from Michigan (because the 5-6 million people in Metro Detroit can make a day trip out of it), while Kings Island draws significantly from Kentucky and southern Indiana for the same reason. Since traveling further is a nuisance for a day trip, those portions of the GP tend to stick to those parks for the majority of their coaster-based desires. While a giga at Kings Island would certainly create competition within Ohio, it wouldn't be detrimental to attendance. As for people further than that? Cedar Point has the longstanding reputation and the beach-side resort that make it the obvious choice between the two.

Long story short: I doubt Cedar Fair is worried that Kings Island will cannibalize Cedar Point.

Cedar Point and Kings Island may be three hours apart, but they have different markets. A significant portion of Cedar Point's attendance comes from Michigan (because the 5-6 million people in Metro Detroit can make a day trip out of it), while Kings Island draws significantly from Kentucky and southern Indiana for the same reason. Since traveling further is a nuisance for a day trip, those portions of the GP tend to stick to those parks for the majority of their coaster-based desires. While a giga at Kings Island would certainly create competition within Ohio, it wouldn't be detrimental to attendance. As for people further than that? Cedar Point has the longstanding reputation and the beach-side resort that make it the obvious choice between the two.

Long story short: I doubt Cedar Fair is worried that Kings Island will cannibalize Cedar Point.

I agree with you 100%. However, that was not the case during the paramount years.