TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Maybe it's just me, but I didn't have any issues with the wait time. Then again we used FL+ and we didn't have to wait more than 5 minutes for it when we were there... Except for the time it broke down. With that being said,I can see why the wait time would be long in the standby line. The main cause for the long wait it seems is just how challenging it is for people to get into the seats, and get them all locked properly.

We get it, you hate lines and only buy VIP tickets at parks. Save us time reading your posts and just put it in your signature ;].

If you're posting on this forum (and love Firehawk), then you should know that Vekoma flying coasters pretty much have the capacity of a shuttle coaster and break down often. It's certainly a must ride for those who haven't been on it before, but if you enjoy the ride it's unfortunately a tough ride to get on consistently and rack up rides.

If KI could do some things over the offseason, maybe do some touch up paints OR repaint stuff to make some more "eye candy" Not trying to sound Nit-picky but some sections of Vortex's lift look "burnt" and maybe they could paint Slingshot like Carowinds and CP's slingshot looks.

The repaint of Xtreme Skyflyer, though the same gray color as it always has been, looks great and I highly agree that Sling Shot should get some much needed paint.

I think the Skyflyer was repainted in the 2013/2014 off season. I like the color on Slingshot, it makes Banshee look brighter.

Coney mall could paint the rails on Racer back to their red and blue. That would look nice. Though the next thing I think needs looking at is a refurbishment of the Carousel.

Just in case anyone wants to watch Diamondback's atrociously slow operations, there's a live cam on the website now:

http://pixelcaster.com/live/kingsisland/diamondback.html

I am going to stick up for the ride here, and say that Diamondback's operations haven't been altogether atrocious. Simply consider out of the box ideas that you might not put into consideration.

Edited by tyle792

I'm just here to say that Kings Island has the best employees of any park I've ever been to. The early morning Diamondback crew and Kate(?) from Beast (who gave me her top 5 coaster list) in particular.

So, uhh, if you're an employee at this park, give yourselves a pat on the back.

As a ride operator in general this means a lot!

Small little update! The framework for the north entrance toll booth is up! Meanwhile the south toll booth is in the process of demolition! Stay tuned for more updates. Hopefully vertical construction has started on tropical plunge. Photo cress to ki's Twitter.

image.thumb.jpeg.030ecd0561dd785137cb8214ac540f0e.jpeg

North framework is installed!

image.thumb.jpeg.3b2095fd8d3d331ef49d9c8944304091.jpeg

Demolition of the south toll booth.

Not trying to sound Nit-picky but some sections of Vortex's lift look "burnt"

I'd love for all of Vortex to look burnt... preferably with blowtorches.

I agree 100%. Vortex is awful.

It makes me sad that Vortex is so horrible, it has (had) potential and then it is so far gone that there is no way to save this ride (my own thoughts). However, Vortex does offer an incredible amount of land for future plans.

I don't understand why you guys have such hatred towards such an amazing coaster as Vortex! I found it to be an amazing custom looping Arrow Dynamics coaster with relatively smooth transitions! I really enjoyed my three rides on it during my first visit to Kings Island back in July of 2014. Maybe some people just can't handle a little bit of roughness.

I don't understand why you guys have such hatred towards such an amazing coaster as Vortex! A wire coat hanger has smoother transitions in the curves then what that coaster has.I found it to be an amazing custom looping Arrow Dynamics coaster with relatively smooth transitions! I really enjoyed my three rides on it during my first visit to Kings Island back in July of 2014. Maybe some people just can't handle a little bit of roughness.

There is NOTHING... and I mean NOTHING smooth about those transitions. The entire coaster is rough. Even the straight sections some how manage to be rough. It is seriously like being in a speeding car down a road like this:

How anyone can enjoy that coaster is beyond me. Rode it once, and I NEVER want to ride it again. The closest I will get to that coaster is when I am walking right past it to get to a different ride.

I don't understand why you guys have such hatred towards such an amazing coaster as Vortex! A wire coat hanger has smoother transitions in the curves then what that coaster has.I found it to be an amazing custom looping Arrow Dynamics coaster with relatively smooth transitions! I really enjoyed my three rides on it during my first visit to Kings Island back in July of 2014. Maybe some people just can't handle a little bit of roughness.

There is NOTHING... and I mean NOTHING smooth about those transitions. The entire coaster is rough. Even the straight sections some how manage to be rough. It is seriously like being in a speeding car down a road like this:

How anyone can enjoy that coaster is beyond me. Rode it once, and I NEVER want to ride it again. The closest I will get to that coaster is when I am walking right past it to get to a different ride.

Everyone does have a different tolerance of roughness so, maybe mine is greater than yours. Just because you and some other people don't like Vortex, doesn't mean it's a horrible coaster. I appreciate Arrow Dynamics' coasters for what they are. The slight roughness only adds to the fun in my opinion!

I'll throw my hat into the "remove Vortex" ring. The ride is terrible, boring and painful. I would much rather see a nice B&M, Mack (Bluefire) or Gerstlauer Eurofighter to take its place. Such a nice bit of real estate to be wasted on that ride. Kings Island needs a modern looper that's a people eater to compliment Diamondback and Banshee. Of course they'll probably get their giga before we see that.

What I considered the worst part of Vortex...

Oddly enough, I found that tight turn to be quite enjoyable! I found it gives Vortex a hemorrhage-inducing moment that I hadn't experienced on a roller coaster of that size before.

Fixed.

Oddly enough, I found that tight turn to be quite enjoyable! I found it gives Vortex a hemorrhage-inducing moment that I hadn't experienced on a roller coaster of that size before.

Fixed.

You're more likely to feel that sensation on a Vekoma SLC. Trust me, Flight Deck at Canada's Wonderland is no easy task to ride or any SLC for that matter. But, in all honesty, I greatly enjoyed every aspect of Vortex during my visit back in July of 2014. So, I don't think it gives a hemorrhage as you had suggested or "made me say".

That's Arrow for you (or rather, Ron Toomer's engineering). Using the same size loops and corkscrews for all their coasters, and no concern for smooth transitions.

Yeah it's a pretty poor ride by today's standards, but it's got one good thing going for it (that first drop has some of the best airtime in the park). I would not be surprised if Kings Island took it out in the next 5 to 10 years. I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Fixed.

You're more likely to feel that sensation on a Vekoma SLC. Trust me, Flight Deck at Canada's Wonderland is no easy task to ride or any SLC for that matter. But, in all honesty, I greatly enjoyed every aspect of Vortex during my visit back in July of 2014. So, I don't think it gives a hemorrhage as you had suggested or "made me say".

Certainly wouldn't give any love to Flight Deck either!

While Vortex certainly isn't the worst coaster in the world, I thought that it was more uncomfortable and painful than fun, so we have skipped it the past couple of times we have been at the park. It is about on par with Anaconda, GASM and Viper to me in terms of Arrow coasters - some interesting elements, but some downright painful ones too.