TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

With the announcement of Knott's taking away the MCBR and re-profiling Ghostrider to give it a breath of fresh air...could we see Cedar Fair doing something similar with the Beast?

I know they do preventative maintenance every year and the ride has not been *rough* in about 6 years IMO. There were a few years that I did not ride because of how awful it had gotten. I'm thinking something more along the lines of removing the brakes on:

-The first drop

-The hill after the turn/tunnel

-Straight-away shed brakes before the turn into the 2nd tunnel

-2nd lift hill

The ride is okay at the moment, but if they could add lighter trains and take away the brakes...that ride would be phenomenal. I really hope this is being talked about in management. I'd fly back home in a heartbeat to experience that!

Does that make sense though? Or without the brakes the ride would still be going too fast around to the turns; and the brakes are still necessary?

The ride is okay at the moment, but if they could add lighter trains and take away the brakes...that ride would be phenomenal.?

I'm up to see if this would make for a better ride but..........when they took out the loop on Son of beast they used lighter trains. Not a good combination..........Maybe they could have GCI come in and re do it like Ghost rider..... don't plan on it though. I don't see them touching Beast unless maintenance gets to high to maintain it or if not a lot of people ride it.

I don't like to cling to history for the sake of "history," "nostalgia," and "memories" when it comes to amusement parks. If I see that there is a better opportunity for a park to perform better and sustain a more successful future, I will get on board with the idea as long as the idea makes business sense.

As much as I want some re-profiling to be done on The Beast to allow for the trims to be removed, I do not think financial cost outweighs the net gain of zero. The general public is hardly going to notice that The Beast might be slightly faster. Even if they do notice, it will probably not result in any measurable gain for Kings Island. The only scenario I see a re-profiling and removal of trims is in the event Kings Island decides to switch trains as the conversion project would require other adjustments to the layout.

If the popularity of The Beast were to decline to the situation Ghostrider is in, I would be a cheerleader for a major project such as RMC or the GCI overhaul. At this point hypothetically, the history, nostalgia, and memories mean nothing as The Beast would be an expensive piece of scenery with low ridership. I'm sure an overhaul given today's advances in technology would result in a minimally trimmed ride, if at all. As a result, we could see one of the best coasters in the world be developed given the terrain and setting The Beast currently resides on.

As it stands, I do not see Kings Island doing anything significant to The Beast until popularity declines enough to justify the cost. If The Beast is still cranking over a million riders each year with people still coming to the park to ride it with trims, 3-Bench PTCs, and a few bumps, I don't see how Kings Island would just throw money to make a few profiling adjustments to remove the trims. As much as my dream for Kings Island is to make the minor profile adjustments to remove the trims, I do not see them doing this anytime soon.

Edited by ajfelice

The ride is okay at the moment, but if they could add lighter trains and take away the brakes...that ride would be phenomenal.?

I'm up to see if this would make for a better ride but..........when they took out the loop on Son of beast they used lighter trains. Not a good combination..........Maybe they could have GCI come in and re do it like Ghost rider..... don't plan on it though. I don't see them touching Beast unless maintenance gets to high to maintain it or if not a lot of people ride it.

The problem was with the structure and the previous tear from the super heavy Premier trains. The Gerstch trains were still very uncomfortable but they weren't the problem.

Of course the park could profit from a re-profiling. They could re-market the ride the same way they're re-marketing Ghostrider. Nothing drastic is happening to the ride in terms of layout or changes, and that's what could draw more fans in. The Beast is arguably one of the more popular roller coasters, especially in the wooden category.

The Beast PTC trains bounce and shuffle a bit on the track, but not enough to where replacing the trains or doing brake removal to the ride would benefit enough yet. That will not be cost-effective. If they get more guest complaints i can see them doing something, but I think the public likes it enough still.. even if it's a bit rough.

KI has done great with their recent additions, but with 3.2 Million guests a year, I feel that they need two more really good people-suckers, and a few more flats.

KI has done great with their recent additions, but with 3.2 Million guests a year, I feel that they need two more really good people-suckers, and a few more flats.

I'm still looking for a giga in the next year or two. I could see them adding the same ride Canada's wonderland is putting in if its popular.

I went down to the park friday to return my work uniforms and i noticed three things:

1. The North Entrance Toll is now demolished.

2. The exit from the park near Great Wolf lodge has a "rough draft" of pavement, so that means that that exit will be expanded.

3. Concrete work for the foundation for Tropical Plunge has started.

Sorry i could not snap any pictures i was in a hurry to get Black Ops 3

With the announcement of Knott's taking away the MCBR and re-profiling Ghostrider to give it a breath of fresh air...could we see Cedar Fair doing something similar with the Beast?

I know they do preventative maintenance every year and the ride has not been *rough* in about 6 years IMO. There were a few years that I did not ride because of how awful it had gotten. I'm thinking something more along the lines of removing the brakes on:

-The first drop

-The hill after the turn/tunnel

-Straight-away shed brakes before the turn into the 2nd tunnel

-2nd lift hill

The ride is okay at the moment, but if they could add lighter trains and take away the brakes...that ride would be phenomenal. I really hope this is being talked about in management. I'd fly back home in a heartbeat to experience that!

Does that make sense though? Or without the brakes the ride would still be going too fast around to the turns; and the brakes are still necessary?

I don't think the Beast gets many complaints from the general public about roughness and people still love the ride. The beast always has one of the longest lines during my visits. I think the people who would enjoy this the most would be enthusiasts, but I don't think it would get as much hype elsewhere. Where as, from what I understand, Ghost Rider was painful. I personally like the Beast exactly how it is now. Could it be slightly better with a major refurbishment? Absolutely right. I really do like your way of thinking. However, I just think their dollar could be better spent elsewhere, man.

(still hoping and praying giga)

I don't like to cling to history for the sake of "history," "nostalgia," and "memories" when it comes to amusement parks. If I see that there is a better opportunity for a park to perform better and sustain a more successful future, I will get on board with the idea as long as the idea makes business sense.

As much as I want some re-profiling to be done on The Beast to allow for the trims to be removed, I do not think financial cost outweighs the net gain of zero. The general public is hardly going to notice that The Beast might be slightly faster. Even if they do notice, it will probably not result in any measurable gain for Kings Island. The only scenario I see a re-profiling and removal of trims is in the event Kings Island decides to switch trains as the conversion project would require other adjustments to the layout.

If the popularity of The Beast were to decline to the situation Ghostrider is in, I would be a cheerleader for a major project such as RMC or the GCI overhaul. At this point hypothetically, the history, nostalgia, and memories mean nothing as The Beast would be an expensive piece of scenery with low ridership. I'm sure an overhaul given today's advances in technology would result in a minimally trimmed ride, if at all. As a result, we could see one of the best coasters in the world be developed given the terrain and setting The Beast currently resides on.

As it stands, I do not see Kings Island doing anything significant to The Beast until popularity declines enough to justify the cost. If The Beast is still cranking over a million riders each year with people still coming to the park to ride it with trims, 3-Bench PTCs, and a few bumps, I don't see how Kings Island would just throw money to make a few profiling adjustments to remove the trims. As much as my dream for Kings Island is to make the minor profile adjustments to remove the trims, I do not see them doing this anytime soon.

Or I could have just said +1 to this comment...

^The amount of brakes on Beast hasn't changed since the magnetic brakes were first installed I think. Kings Island has just gotten a LOT better with their wood coaster maintenance. Almost half of the ride has been re-tracked within the past 5 years.

. . .I really enjoyed Vortex during my visit back in July of 2014 so, I hope it doesn't go anywhere soon.

We rode Vortex this past July and it was awful. I really don't see how anyone can enjoy that coaster. It was one of the worst coasters we have ever been on. With that being said... I could care less if Vortex stays, or goes. You enjoyed it, and I am sure there are other people out there who enjoy the coaster so leaving it for you all to enjoy is fine with me. However, if they were to remove it some year and replace it with something new... I wouldn't mind that either! But from now on every time we go to the park we will avoid riding Vortex... and Racer but that's a whole different story!

It is always funny to me when a crane by a coaster leads to talk of the coaster going away. you people...

I mean i remember when working over the summer it cant go a day or two without breaking down...... Plus i didnt think about it but maybe they're just touching up some paint because some sections of the lift looks like the rails have been "burned"

EDIT- just checked the webcam and the crane is gone, must have been annual maintenance.