TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

^ You shut your dirty mouth. The Beast should never be anything other than The Beast

This. I love RMC, they're amazing. That being said the Beast is iconic and the fact that it's old school and a little rough is what makes it so great. The ride is a lot of fun during the day for sure but I agree that's it's not amazing. At night though it becomes the best coaster (wood or steel) I've ever ridden. I305, Millennium Force, Maverick, Skyrush, Fury, Boulder Dash and even El Toro can't touch the Beast at night. It's old school, it has imperfections but that's what makes it so great. The Beast feels like it's alive and there's nothing else like it anywhere. The Beast is in a league of its own.

I loved that ride when I rode it during the day. My night ride, though, was magical. As we crested the lift hill, the nighttime fireworks show began. I'm no exaggerating, but as we crested the first big firework erupted. The rest of the ride was just a rampage through pitch black wilderness illuminated every few seconds by another firework exploding color into the sky and our surroundings. It was completely unplanned and entirely perfect.

^ You shut your dirty mouth. The Beast should never be anything other than The Beast.

...the Beast is iconic and the fact that it's old school and a little rough is what makes it so great. The ride is a lot of fun during the day for sure but I agree that's it's not amazing. At night though it becomes the best coaster (wood or steel) I've ever ridden. I305, Millennium Force, Maverick, Skyrush, Fury, Boulder Dash and even El Toro can't touch the Beast at night. It's old school, it has imperfections but that's what makes it so great. The Beast feels like it's alive and there's nothing else like it anywhere. The Beast is in a league of its own.

Are we becoming a bunch of pansies that the slight hint of roughness everyone cries out "RMC, RMC"? If we end up RMCing every wood coaster out there, and I'm referring to Topper Track not so much Iron Horse, I think we'd lose the traditional feel of what a wood coaster should be like.

The Beast is not rough, it's actually had a few sections retracked and rebuilt in the past few years and was running great as of my visit back in July (Hope to get down there for a Haunt Friday night this week - fingers crossed). The ride is way too iconic to tamper with.

Someone once told me that his appreciation for the Beast came from it being from an era where regional theme parks sometimes did completely crazy, off the wall stuff, and this a rare surviving example of that thinking. A ride like The Beast would never again be built in the US as there's no one with the gumption and willingness to let their own engineers just build out forever like that. Once I started to look at it that way (as a novelty rather than some OH MAN SUPER CRAZY THRILL RIDE~!) I started to like it a lot more. It isn't a top 5-10-20-50 ride, but it is fun and oh so different.

^ You shut your dirty mouth. The Beast should never be anything other than The Beast

This. I love RMC, they're amazing. That being said the Beast is iconic and the fact that it's old school and a little rough is what makes it so great. The ride is a lot of fun during the day for sure but I agree that's it's not amazing. At night though it becomes the best coaster (wood or steel) I've ever ridden. I305, Millennium Force, Maverick, Skyrush, Fury, Boulder Dash and even El Toro can't touch the Beast at night. It's old school, it has imperfections but that's what makes it so great. The Beast feels like it's alive and there's nothing else like it anywhere. The Beast is in a league of its own.

I loved that ride when I rode it during the day. My night ride, though, was magical. As we crested the lift hill, the nighttime fireworks show began. I'm no exaggerating, but as we crested the first big firework erupted. The rest of the ride was just a rampage through pitch black wilderness illuminated every few seconds by another firework exploding color into the sky and our surroundings. It was completely unplanned and entirely perfect.

I thought the ride shut down during the fireworks?

Someone once told me that his appreciation for the Beast came from it being from an era where regional theme parks sometimes did completely crazy, off the wall stuff, and this a rare surviving example of that thinking. A ride like The Beast would never again be built in the US as there's no one with the gumption and willingness to let their own engineers just build out forever like that. Once I started to look at it that way (as a novelty rather than some OH MAN SUPER CRAZY THRILL RIDE~!) I started to like it a lot more. It isn't a top 5-10-20-50 ride, but it is fun and oh so different.

This is EXACTLY what I love so much about The Beast. It was such a ballsy design for that time and it rides SO different from every other coaster ever built. It's that "out-of-the-box" factor that makes it so special. The closest equivalent to The Beast that I can think of is Voyage, where Will Koch was involved with the design through the whole process, but even then The Gravity Group did most of the work. The Beast was designed and built entirely in house. That's such a rare and awesome fact Kings Island can brag about.

I don't think bringing up RMC makes anyone a panzie, can you really blame them? RMC is awesome.

If they keep the beast the same, ill be happy. If they put a fast buck wild RMC through the woods, ill still be happy.

But if the beast stays the same, I think we can agree that Kings Island should make the money they spend on retracking it worth while and atleast let GCI put new track on it so it can zoom through the woods with awesome twists and turns instead of hitting all of these trim breaks.

At the end of the day its all preference.

Are we becoming a bunch of pansies that the slight hint of roughness everyone cries out "RMC, RMC"? If we end up RMCing every wood coaster out there, and I'm referring to Topper Track not so much Iron Horse, I think we'd lose the traditional feel of what a wood coaster should be like.

The Beast is not rough, it's actually had a few sections retracked and rebuilt in the past few years and was running great as of my visit back in July (Hope to get down there for a Haunt Friday night this week - fingers crossed). The ride is way too iconic to tamper with.

It depends on the ride. When it comes to roughness, Beast definitely isn't in the same league as Son of Beast or Holiday World's Voyage. I like Beast and appreciate its unusual layout and great night rides.

I don't think RMC coasters are for "pansies," either. What they lack in roughness, they make up for in crazy airtime and laterals.

I've had rougher rides on Racer, especially the blue side, than I've had on Beast and I don't see people clamoring for RMC treatment on that. Son of Beast was temperamental though mostly it was just in a bad mood all the time though I had some decent rides under the right conditions (first ride of the day and right after a rain). Now that ride deserved the treatment though I am thankful for Banshee.

I have yet to ride any style of RMC to get what all the hype is, which puts me in the wrong for my previous post, but it seems those three letters have easily popped up in a lot of threads lately. I'd like to think that the rolling stock has a lot to do with the roughness - after all it's what's tearing up the track in the first place. The Beast has a very unusually long PTC train of six three seaters - that's a lot of weight on that wood.

I've had rougher rides on Racer, especially the blue side, than I've had on Beast and I don't see people clamoring for RMC treatment on that.

To be fair, I don't see many people clamoring for RMC treatment on the Beast either. I've heard one or two people mention it but that's it. I think the ride's overwhelming popularity speaks for itself. It's perfect the way it is. If Cedar Fair wants to go and RMC something I'd start with Minebuster or the Hurler clones (or Mean Streak but that ride really isn't all that bad).

I agree that nothing needs to be done to The Beast.

Ride it at night in the front seat and I guarantee that it will crack your top ten list of coasters...it's simply that good and an experience that you will never get on another wooden coaster.

I will say that Boulder Dash at night last year was very close, but still not quite as good as The Beast.

I thought the ride shut down during the fireworks?

Yeah. They have a line stoppage basically 15 min before and after the fireworks.

This was back in 2003. I've not been back to Ohio since, so they've probably changed their policies. All I know is my dad, uncle, and I stood at the entrance chatting with the ride op waiting for him to close the line with the trash can so we'd be the last ones on. Pops and I sat in front, uncle in the second row. Whether it shut down early or not, the fireworks began as our train, the last train of the night with only three people on it, crested the lift.

Ride it at night in the front seat and I guarantee that it will crack your top ten list of coasters...it's simply that good and an experience that you will never get on another wooden coaster.

Well, I've ridden it back to back without getting off in the front seat at night after Midnight with the mist rising up from the ground all around the coaster... And it didn't crack my top 10 coasters then, and that was 12 years and many coasters ago!

But I get what you're saying, as it was an absolutely amazing experience, and one I've never forgotten! I just got to ride it again after Midnight in the second to front row this past Friday, and loved experiencing that again! A night ride on The Beast definitely makes it a Top 5 wooden coaster experience, however. It is just so much better at night.

On the topic of night rides at KI, this past Friday was so amazing, as my wife and I went there and got plenty of awesome rides after dark! Not only is The Beast amazing, which I already knew, but Banshee was SO much better even than it is in the day, and Diamondback was fabulous as well! Even Firehawk and The Bat went from being "meh", to being pretty darn fun! I think the biggest surprise, however, was Adventure Express. That ride was just bonkers at night, and my wife and I were laughing the whole time! In the end, we got to ride Diamondback 3x, Banshee 2x, and then single rides on The Beast, Firehawk, The Bat, Adventure Express, Backlot Stunt Coaster, Delirium, and Windseeker. Considering it was pretty busy on a moderately temperatured fall night, I think that was pretty good. KI is definitely THE place to go to get a ton of great night rides on coasters!

Here were the waits I saw last Sunday (weather was 70 and sunny):

Before 2 pm

Fire Hawk 15 min

Drop Tower 10 min

Adventure Express 10 min

Back Lot 5 min

Flight of Fear 5 min

Diamondback walk-on

Beast walk-on

Banshee walk-on

Racer walk-on

Vortex walk-on

Windseeker walk-on

After 2 pm

Beast 25 min

Diamondback 15 min

Banshee 5 min

Everything Else ???

My free fast lane really didn't make too much of a difference until mid afternoon.

9 days left for me...

Anyone been through all the haunts there yet? Which are must dos and which are skippable? So far I've heard Madame Fatale's and Blackout are must-dos, Wolf Pack not so much. What about the others? Of course, if I have my way my group will just be getting the Fright Lane pass and doing them all, but we'll see about that...

9 days left for me...

Anyone been through all the haunts there yet? Which are must dos and which are skippable? So far I've heard Madame Fatale's and Blackout are must-dos, Wolf Pack not so much. What about the others? Of course, if I have my way my group will just be getting the Fright Lane pass and doing them all, but we'll see about that...

In the loop just posted a review of clint visiting Haunt for the first time. Overall I have been through Madam Fatales, Board to death, Urgent Scare and Cornstalkers. Overall I think that Madam Fatale's and Urgent Scare where really good. The bigger mazes seem to good, andn ive heard a lot of people talk about Blackout. Id use the In The Loop video to make decisions on what to go to and what not to go to.