TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

As far as your problem with the inconsistency at Firehawk, please keep in mind that ride hosts on major coasters at major parks usually encounter 10,000-15,000 guests per day. Inevitably, they aren't going to catch every bag that comes through the line, because everyone is susceptible to human error. Honestly, it discourages me to come on here and see that people in OUR community (i.e. roller coaster and amusement park enthusiasts) share no understanding or empathy for that.

I'm not trying to be insensitive to the ride hosts by any means. I'm totally aware that a bag or two could get through, my main concern was the fact that another ride host that I encountered at a different ride didn't even know whether or not there was a policy to begin with, which seems to be a training issue. I'm not saying that it's the ride host's fault if they aren't being trained.

It's also very inconvenient that you have to pay $2 for two hours with no ability to move your fluffy bunny elsewhere. If you want to make a few rounds around the park, you have to plan it so that you either leave your crap in one place and come back to it in time or you basically end up paying $2 for 15 minutes while you ride then move on. If you want to go around the park 3 or 4 times in a day, you end up spending $12-16 just on fluffy bunnies. Again, I know that this park is by no means the only park with a fluffy bunny policy, but at Universal parks they are free while you ride and at Six Flags parks you can move them around as you wish and the time extends every time you renew.

As far as the weather closing rides at KI, I would say that in my experience they have the one of the most liberal policy towards weather. Generally most rides stay open unless there is lightning. If it is extended weather they pull a train off D-back,Vortex and Stunt Coaster running them with two trains while Beast and Racer run full capacity because the brake runs are covered. I have been to many parks that keep things closed for light mist. I was at SFOT with 15 MPH winds and they had the coasters closed. I have always been pleased with the weather policy at KI.

I am sorry you had a bad experience with the weather policy at KI.

I am interested to see the new parking plaza. I come in from the north and usually the north entrance is open when I go. It is very easy for me to get into the park. I hope I don't have to encounter long lines like the south entrance usually gets now there will be only one entrance. I know there are a lot of kiosks but will they staff it to have them all open? I do like that Mason will be making turn lanes. I would think that would start soon since I normally don't see much road work in the winter.

Also, you need to wear shoes on Diamondback at all times because of the location of the mid-course brake. If it e-stops back there, you're going to walk down a spiral staircase with some very sharp steps and across gravely terrain to get back to the park. That wouldn't be fun barefoot and could cut you.

FoF used to have bins at the back of the loading station; you would be able to grab your bags by reentering that area through an access hallway, now used for Fast Lane. A long time ago, I remember operators carrying bags through to the the unloading station.

Now, FoF, Back Lot, and the Bat all let you bring bags on the ride.

It is fairly common for people to sneak bags into the Firehawk line. They tend to be less anal about inspecting every person before they get in the line than on Banshee. By the time you get to the station, it would slow down operations if the operators had to argue with you to leave the line and get a locker.

I say, if you don't like the locker policy, do as I do; wear cargo shorts and drink water.

Ok, so here's a "Would you rather?" question for all of your KI regulars...

Would you rather go to a Friday Fright Night at KI on October 2nd of this year? Or October 23rd?

(If I end up passing on PPP, the 9th is a possibility too...)

Since I'll be driving quite a ways just for this, I really want to minimize lines, and maximize rides! Thanks!

^ If you're looking to minimize lines during a Halloween event, ALWAYS stay as far away from Halloween as possible. Anything past the second week of October is suicide.

This is what I was wondering, and getting the impression of from some earlier comments. I'd originally planned on going the later date, but I am now re-thinking it, and looking at the beginning of the month instead... Thanks for the feedback!

Very long time lurker, but I finally made my account. Anyway, I think my family and I were going to head up to Kings Island for the second time ever this Labor Day. I was wondering what crowds were like? And also tips on what to do. I know that at my home park (Holiday World), Labor Day is one of the deadest days of the year. I was wondering if it was the same here. Thanks in advance!

How does the restraint system work on firehawk? Is it tight and comfy?

I haven't been on firehawk, but I've been on batwing at Six Flags America which is a clone of it. It's really uncomfortable at first, but once you get out of the lift hill it's way more comfortable!

So, I anticipated crowds today, holiday weekend and all. What I did not expect was the Ride Ops to serve more stacks than the local IHOP. The 45 minute wait for Diamondback took 85 minutes.

A side note: I saw a disgusting amount of pizza per capita, with the $1 food deals. I feel bad for those cooks.

^ From what I've read on here, it seems like KI is really bad when it comes to stacking and causing longer lines than there should be. It has been a really long time since I've been to the park but I don't really remember having very long waits except for The Beast, and one time, SOB. That's really discouraging. Hopefully this will improve.

^ From what I've read on here, it seems like KI is really bad when it comes to stacking and causing longer lines than there should be. It has been a really long time since I've been to the park but I don't really remember having very long waits except for The Beast, and one time, SOB. That's really discouraging. Hopefully this will improve.

Give them some credit. At least they never found a way to make Invertigo stack.

The last time I was at the park about a month ago, Diamondback's crews were much better than they were in May. They hit 45ish second dispatches consistently. No other coaster in the park except maybe Firehawk has slow crews. Kings Island is good at their operations.

So since we saw the announcement of valraven today (we all knew since plans were leaked and YouTube videos are up from cedar points official page) could we possibly think that KI will possibly get a new coaster for 2017 since it's usually a year after CP gets one that KI gets one. For example. Gatekeeper = banshee. Valraven = new coaster ???

That's just my opinion

No. One example is not a trend and the parks do not depend on each other for new coasters, they're individual parks and years of planning goes into building a new coaster, not just "a year after Cedar Point."

Banshee one year after Gatekeeper is just how it happened, it's not even a coincidence.