TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Jumping-in on the hopeful-thinking train: bulldozing (or repurposing) the theater and using that space to plant a station for a possible giga would be a great option imo. Plenty of space between the Racer's fork, and they already have a queue that they could easily add-on to.

Do what Kings Dominion did and place it near the back. It will get crowds towards its back corner towards Windseeker and Vortex, and also disperse crowds to the other major-ride corners like Banshee's and Diamondback's areas of the park.

^I agree about placing the eventual Giga (since that seems like a foregone conclusion at some point) at the back of the park. However, I have felt like placing the queue and station in the old Tomb Raider and Crypt building, literally reusing a bunch of the existing theming there already, and giving the coaster some kind of jungle theme. Additionally, that will re-populate that Rivertown area, which has basically become "Beastland" currently... There is a ton of room back there behind that part of the park, and besides some awesome potential interaction with the trees, the coaster could interact with both The Beast and Diamondback, heightening the excitement (I know that sounds like an RCT thing, but I know my excitement is heightened with multi-coaster interaction!) of those rides as well as the new Giga! I just feel like this concept just makes SO much sense, for many reasons, it has to be given some serious consideration for eventual (there's that word again - just so you know I'm not saying this happens next year, or even the year after that) coaster expansion - Giga, or even possibly Wing Coaster.

I know some have mentioned that as a place for the (also eventual) Dark Ride/Coaster, but I think the location you mentioned, the old theater building, works better for that, and gives it a little more space to work with. Then, I would assume Boo Blasters would be removed for a different attraction down the road, likely. Those are my current thoughts looking at KI for the next 5-6 years, at least major attraction-wise.

I agree that the old Tomb Raider building should be used for something and now that I found out that Slaughterhouse was a new haunt built next to the Beast there is no need for the former Crypt to be a haunt.

Two things (IMO):

1. The area between Beast and Diamondback does get a good amount of traffic. If anything the space between the two coasters should house what I would term filler rides, i.e. flats. Rip out the Crypt and open that space up for a few flat rides or even a Kenton's Cove Keelboat Canal II.

2. Looking at the area by Vortex/Windseeker/SRR you definitely see that it doesn't have the same amount of traffic as Rivertown has. Putting a giga in the old simulator spot would definitely help with that but I also think that park of Coney Mall needs more to attract people. Vortex isn't going to do it alone and who knows how long it will last though I still think it has many years left.

3. From an aesthetic standpoint and I am one who would rather have a balanced park skyline, putting a giga directly above a hyper would make Diamondback lose it's impact on the south side of the park. That lift hill makes quite the statement from the parking lot as well as from various vantage points in the park. On a personal note I also am not that fond of how visible DB is while riding Beast as it makes it seem not as secluded as it used to be.

Where did all of this Giga speculation start? Is it just the next logical step?

Also, is 2017 too soon?

They need a good looper. Nice b&M floorless or wing rider. Sitdowns they have vortex and FOF.

Where did all of this Giga speculation start? Is it just the next logical step?

Also, is 2017 too soon?

They need a good looper. Nice b&M floorless or wing rider. Sitdowns they have vortex and FOF.

I think they're just fine in that area. Between Flight of Fear, Vortex, Banshee, Firehawk, and even Invertigo.

Hi everyone, you might be wondering why a valleyfair fanboy is in the "Kings Island Discussion Thread" but I am going to Kings Island in August for the first time, and I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations to get the most out of my visit there (best places to sit on rides, rides to hit first, etc.) Any help would be appreciated, thanks

If your a platinum passholder KI has ert 30 minutes before the park opens on both Diamondback (sit in the back for ) and Banshee (front has best view) if not do Firehawk and flight of fear first as these get long lines that dont move very quickly. Banshee, Firehawk and FOF have a no loose items policy and do not have bins but they offer lockers for temporary storage outside the entrances

^You would think so, but those loops are all really fast and have a lot of g's, plus the restraints have ankle bars that keep your feet from raising up, so any bags that are just behind your legs won't move easily. I know this from experience.

Wouldn't having bags at your feet on FOF pose a hazard since it goes upside down?

I believe the bags would be under the front of the ride vehicle, and you go through the inversions so fast, they aren't a danger to fall out.

I still remember the first time I rode the Rockin' Roller Coaster at Disney's MGM Studios (at the time)... I had no idea what the ride was, and it had only lap bars, so I didn't figure it went upside down. My wife and I had those Disney spray-fans in our vehicle with us, near our feet, and when the coaster started inverting, we freaked out a little because the fans were bouncing around down there! We definitely weren't expecting that!

My friend and i are making a trip to KI and CP Aug 12-15. We were going to drive from toronto to KI on the wednesday evening and ride and then come back on thursday morning, then we will head to cp. We both have platinum passes so we can come and go.

Can anyone recommend where to stay nearby? We just need a simple hotel, nothing fancy, but not a dump.

Also, I am a craft brewer and like to try local beers when i travel. Is there a pub or brewpub nearby with decent beer and food? Even a good beer distributor would be nice.

Any idea what crowds will be like midweek this time of year? I figure it often slows down later on and first thing in the morning is a good time to hit a few rides before things fill up.

Can anyone recommend where to stay nearby? We just need a simple hotel, nothing fancy, but not a dump.

I would suggest the Holiday Inn in Middletown, OH. It was only like 30 minutes from the park, it was a decent hotel, and only like $90 a night. It is close to a lot of food places, and is close to the interstate for getting to the park. We recently stayed there, and we will stay there next year when we return to KI!

My friend and i are making a trip to KI and CP Aug 12-15. We were going to drive from toronto to KI on the wednesday evening and ride and then come back on thursday morning, then we will head to cp. We both have platinum passes so we can come and go.

Also, I am a craft brewer and like to try local beers when i travel. Is there a pub or brewpub nearby with decent beer and food? Even a good beer distributor would be nice.

Any idea what crowds will be like midweek this time of year? I figure it often slows down later on and first thing in the morning is a good time to hit a few rides before things fill up.

Check the Mason, OH area, like Mason-Montgomery Rd area, there's a bunch of hotels there and it's only 5 minutes down 71 from the park.

As far as craft breweries, there's a few in Cincinnati like Rheingiest. Check out on Google.

^You would think so, but those loops are all really fast and have a lot of g's, plus the restraints have ankle bars that keep your feet from raising up, so any bags that are just behind your legs won't move easily. I know this from experience.

Ahhh ok... the last time I rode it they just had the OTS restraints. Its been too long.

^ Oh my! I thought it had been a long time since I had been to KI! My first visit, FOF was already lap bars only lol! None the less, I think its time you and I get back! Too many credits I've missed!

The Brazenhead is only 5 minutes from the park and has 30 beers on tap! I've been meaning to check this place out, but somehow haven't got around to it yet.

Head to Diamondback for ERT; you'll be able to get in about 5 rides before the park opens, and Banshee will only have a 10-15 minute wait after about 2 pm. When the park opens, head to FoF THEN Firehawk. Next head to Backlot, as that line will start getting long around 11 am. Beast's line will be pretty short until around mid-afternoon. Be sure to get a night ride on it!

The Brazenhead is only 5 minutes from the park and has 30 beers on tap! I've been meaning to check this place out, but somehow haven't got around to it yet.

Head to Diamondback for ERT; you'll be able to get in about 5 rides before the park opens, and Banshee will only have a 10-15 minute wait after about 2 pm. When the park opens, head to FoF THEN Firehawk. Next head to Backlot, as that line will start getting long around 11 am. Beast's line will be pretty short until around mid-afternoon. Be sure to get a night ride on it!

thanks all for the heads up on both rides and beers. I read that it is open until 8pm wednesday. I may try to leave sooner as it looks like a 6-7 hour drive. We will take advantage of the morning ERT, ride until it gets too hot/ crowded and then head to cedar point. I am guessing midsummer midweek will be moderately busy, but the ERT may help us get 'er done.

I am a big fan of B&M inverts, and would rank the ones i have ridden: Batman, Montu, Talon, Great bear, so i want to ride banshee.

Having Canada's Wonderland as our home park, i see a lot of similarities. It might be fun to do a report card comparing the 2 parks.

Our Back lot stunt coaster runs none of it's themeing or effects, so it might be neat to se yours working.

Diamondback is a similar coaster to our Behemoth with a splashdown effect.

I heard the Beast may be a bit rough but is a cool night ride. We have some rough wood at home too so i can compare.

you have the bat which i believe is a sister of our vortex.

Vortex looks a bit bigger than dragons fyre, but old school arrow bent coathanger designed.

I had been to 6flags america near DC and they had a launched premier which looks like FoF. I actually really liked it so it might be interesting indoors, and they also have a flying dutchman which looks similar to firehawk.

I also love huss enterprise and the monster, so i will try to hit those too.

Then we drink a bier!

A while back I signed up to receive e-mail newsletters from several Cedar Fair parks. I started receiving them from several parks but not from others, including Kings Island. I called KI to ask about it, and was told that only season pass holders can receive the e-mail newsletter. The lady I talked to thought that each Cedar Fair park made its own policy about whether a season pass was required. Last fall I stumbled across the information that KI was offering a free Fast Lane with a 2015 1 day ticket. I would like to get this kind of information in a timely manner. Do any of you guys have any suggestions about where to get this information (website?), or how to get on the e-mail list? Any help you could give me would be appreciated. Thanks.