TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Where in Cincy do you need to be picked up and dropped off? If it is east side I may be able to help.

I'm not very familiar with the city, but I do know that we're staying somewhere near the University/Zoo area.

Honestly, I would try Uber. The Bus system (go metro) does run to Kings Island from that area, but looks like because of scheduling it would be an hour and a half trip. If I was in that area, I would pick you up and take you, but not gonna be down that way on that day. Or, you might want to find out the exact hotel, and contact them to see if they have a shuttle service. A lot of them do around there to take people to the airport, but they might be able to run you to Kings Island also.

We have a trip coming up to Kings Island soon, and I can not stop thinking about Drop Tower. I have a love hate relationship with Drop Towers... I love the drop on them once I realize that I am not dying... But I HATE the slow ride to the top, and the sitting up there waiting to drop.

Having never been on an Intamin Drop Tower... I have only been on S&S Combo towers... How bad is Drop Tower?? Like do you mentally freak out all the way up, or is it not as bad as I am thinking, and I am just over reacting???

Drop Tower isn't bad at all. They do assign seats and if you can get a view facing the Eiffel Tower/park or Banshee you get an amazing view. My ride last Wednesday had me facing Banshee and what an awesome view of the ride from up there.

Kings Island's Drop Tower does a single rotation as it begins going up and then it goes up pretty quick until you get to the top where it slows down.

Which brings the question - can Intamin program their gyro drops to do more than one rotation going up, like a gyro tower, and then stop rotating just prior to reaching the top?

Bugeyed

How long do you plan on going to the park? I just need more details before make an offer to help. I don't want to make the wife mad by making a commitment that would annoy her

There is a slight chance to get you transportation but I most likely would not be able to hang out. Also slight chance of getting you Great Pumpkin coaster credit if your a credit whore. I don't want to get your hopes up I can try to help.

We have a trip coming up to Kings Island soon, and I can not stop thinking about Drop Tower. I have a love hate relationship with Drop Towers... I love the drop on them once I realize that I am not dying... But I HATE the slow ride to the top, and the sitting up there waiting to drop.

Having never been on an Intamin Drop Tower... I have only been on S&S Combo towers... How bad is Drop Tower?? Like do you mentally freak out all the way up, or is it not as bad as I am thinking, and I am just over reacting???

I like the Intamin Drop towers better than S&S towers. The one at Kings Island gives me major butterflies every time!

Bugeyed

How long do you plan on going to the park? I just need more details before make an offer to help. I don't want to make the wife mad by making a commitment that would annoy her

There is a slight chance to get you transportation but I most likely would not be able to hang out. Also slight chance of getting

you Great Pumpkin coaster credit if your a credit whore. I don't want to get your hopes up I can try to help.

I really appreciate your offer (and everyone's advice). I decided last night to pre-pay a car rental for the day. In the end the extra money seemed well spent to allow me to autonomously enjoy the park for a full day. And to my surprise it was actually quite a lot less expensive for a single day rental than it would have been in Canada.

Again, thank you to everyone for their very kind offers of transport and advice. Can't wait to visit your park for the first time on August 18th!

Hello everybody,

My family and I, 4 people total, are making a trip from Chicago to come and visit Kings Island. It is our to be our first ever visit to Kings Island. We are going to be at the park for two days. What techniques and advice can you give a first time visitor to making the most most of their trip? What order should we hit the rides in? Is there anything that cannot be missed? Are there any cool tips or tricks that you have? Any things that are like hidden in the park? We want to make the most of our two days at Kings Island so any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Ride FireHawk and Flight of Fear at opening to avoid long lines

Visit the park at night one day to get rides on Beast, Banshee, and Diamondback

The WindSeeker rides are more fun than people give them credit for

Don't forget about The Bat as it's not the most visible ride to find

Ride in the 2nd row of a car on Racer for a smooth fun ride on a classic

You can totally knock everything out in the park in two days and have plenty of time for re-rides.

Just randomly logged on to the webcams, and managed to catch Diamondback transferring off for the night. This is why I love park webcams. You get to catch some things like this that you may not see every day. Not that transferring a train is all that special, but it is still fun to watch!

DB.png.3cffe6b326a021f1d3c8a1f21b3a3f70.png

^Start by turning the rudder outwards. Right when you hit the peak height of the swing out, turn it back inward. Repeat this process to build up your swing momentum. When you get really high, turn the rudder inward really fast. That will make the flyer dive down fast enough that the front cables go slack, and voila! You've snapped your flyer. Some flyers snap harder than others (Knoebels. OMG ), and some don't snap at all (Holiday World). Kings Islands snapping action is somewhere in the middle. Pretty fun, but not crazy either.

Hope this makes sense. The rhythm is pretty easy to pick up once you get into it.

Thank you very much. I will try that out today.

Also, where was Flight Commander located? Here is a picture of its queue but I couldn't find where it was.

While on Windseeker, I saw a theater in the back by the Racer, so I was wondering if they still do shows there?

Are there any like old or abandoned things to check out?

Remnants of old rides?

Also, I have heard that there are still footers from the original Bat. Is that true? If so, where can I see them?

Thank you.

Also, where was Flight Commander located? Here is a picture of its queue but I couldn't find where it was.

While on Windseeker, I saw a theater in the back by the Racer, so I was wondering if they still do shows there?

Remnants of old rides?

Also, I have heard that there are still footers from the original Bat. Is that true? If so, where can I see them?

Thank you.

I know you can see old King Cobra footers on the first drop of Banshee.

Remnants of old rides?

Thank you.

The Flight Commander queue is located right between the Racer and Shake Rattle & Roll. The original concrete pad for the ride is still there too. It's elevated around 6 or 8 feet higher than the main path, so the queue is kind of tucked away behind some trees and the old ride platform.

Also, the Bat footers are found underneath Vortex, because that's where Bat was before Vortex was built in it's place. Some of the footers are half-buried in the ground, but you should still be able to find them if you look closely.

665547138_ScreenShot2015-07-24at2_08_09PM.thumb.png.b33117b2035f3c232c334eef69fc02ba.png

Here's the Flight Commander queue and ride platform.

I have a couple if questions regarding the Eiffel Tower.

-Did you used to be able to walk up the stairs on either side of the elevators that take you up maybe 75 feet?

-Is the left elevator still used or not? It goes up to to the top but not all the way up.

-When did they cover the very top of the observation floor? Completely enclosing you.

-Did you used to be able to walk up the stairs on either side of the elevators that take you up maybe 75 feet?

-Is the left elevator still used or not? It goes up to to the top but not all the way up.

-When did they cover the very top of the observation floor? Completely enclosing you.

I could answer the first two for you. I do remember back in the 80's you used to be able to walk up the steps to the large platform but I'm not sure when they closed it off.

They do use the left elevator, which takes you to the lower platform on top but I've only seen it used when the weather was rainy and I do remember a few year's ago they used that elevator since there was a wasp's nest near the upper level (the wasps would be bad in early fall).

Other answers....

1) I think it was the late 90's/early 00's when they closed off the staircase. You could walk up there and look around. I think it had a mix to do with safety concerns and upkeep, plus they use that area for lighting up the tower at night.

2) Yeah, what the other guy said about the left elevator. I think they still run both on some days, might have to do with capacity in the park.

3) They covered up the top some years ago as idiots thought it was fun to throw things over the fence (think basketballs). Even though they warn people, it still happened. So they covered it to block that from happening.

I'm just here to say that Kings Island has the best employees of any park I've ever been to. The early morning Diamondback crew and Kate(?) from Beast (who gave me her top 5 coaster list) in particular.

So, uhh, if you're an employee at this park, give yourselves a pat on the back.

I'm just here to say that Kings Island has the best employees of any park I've ever been to. The early morning Diamondback crew and Kate(?) from Beast (who gave me her top 5 coaster list) in particular.

So, uhh, if you're an employee at this park, give yourselves a pat on the back.

I've worked with kate at linus launcher a couple days ago and we had a long chat about her fav coasters. I know shes trying to go to Tucky Kingdom, shes worked all over KI and she is by far a great employee!

Also, a little thought of mine that my friends said would sound pretty cool. If KI was to get a giga coaster, and it be something like Fury, i think a station could go where Congo Falls is. (Talked to a soup about this to, he's heard from full timers this might happen?) lift goes out behind timberwolf, (my idea) goes out over that road leading to Great wolf, (I think they could take it out and build a bridge and have the train go under the bridge (ala Fury 325)) back around to the front gate, under front gate, make a turn , head back to Congo. this is purely a speculation. Although next year might be a little wet cough cough. also heard construction has already started to!

Edited by drummermattk

Hmmm, trying to picture the coaster the way you described it and by looking at the park map. Action Zone is already coaster heavy with Banshee, Invertigo, and The Bat unless something else beside Congo Falls gets removed or relocated. Plus not sure how they would fit a turnaround on the other side of the gate when you have HR and other park facilities right there.

Does Kings Island really need a coaster that spans the front gate like Fury 325 and Gatekeeper? Invertigo already towers over the entrance but at the same time that ride would be a likely candidate for removal even though It is very popular.

I have always thought the placement of a giga, or any new coaster, is back where the old simulators were between Racer's turnarounds. It doesn't appear to be used anymore, at least from my recent visit, plus the back of the park could still use a few new attractions (i.e. old Flight Commander site).