TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

The park seems pretty crowded today and this Diamondback crew is really a sight to behold. It's even more fun if you switch to this cam...

http://pixelcaster.com/live/kingsisland/banshee.html

And then back to the Diamondback cam to compare. Enjoy everyone.

Watched for a good while - it is absolutely mind-blowing how slow the Diamondback crew is today.

Middle row of the last car is my favorite row on The Beast.

We will for sure try out the middle row of the last car at some point during the day!

Personally I think you have to ride the Beast in the front at night... it's beyond amazing.

Looks like we will be riding Beast in the front row at night. If it is as amazing as everyone says then it will be worth it!

- - - -

Thanks to everyone who provided feedback for our trip! Can't wait to get out to the park!!

Anybody hitting the park on Saturday or Sunday?

I might be going to the park on Saturday. With the current forecast calling for 50% chance of storms on that day, I'm kind of waiting it out.

If I do go, Fast Lane Plus will be a must lol. Speaking of which, does it ever sell out at this park? Reason I ask is that I've noticed CF charges the same prices online as they do at the park, but you don't have to pay the stupid processing fee if you buy it in-person.

I was there today from 10-4 and yes, DB was a bit slow in dispatches and I don't think it's because of the seat belts. I think it's more along the lines of people having to put their stuff in the bins and a few had to go back and get their sandals since they couldn't ride barefoot. I know a couple year's ago (or even last year) they had an op take the belongings prior to letting guests board the train and it seemed like dispatches were a little quicker then. Otherwise I had three great, airtime filled rides in the back seat.

Banshee's crew didn't seem to be putting trains out like clockwork today either as they were stacking trains at times. I got stuck on the green train on my first ride since it didn't want to advance through the station to release us so that ended up being a little downtime on the ride. Sat in the middle and didn't notice much rattle but the back seat on my second ride later on it was more noticeable though not distracting from the ride experience (I just love that whip and twist off the first hill).

I thought Beast was running quite well today on my three rides. The first two the train didn't catch the chain on the second lift until we were a little past the first maintenance platform but it did seem the shed brakes were a little harder on my third and last ride.

Vortex was having issues off an on as it was broke down the first time in the morning and when I walked by it was closed with a train on the lift the second time in early afternoon. Finally opened and got my back seat ride and boy has this ride started to show its age. I've never had what I considered a "bad" ride but today all of Vortex's 28 years was showing.

The only other rides I got on were Invertigo, Drop Tower, Racer (blue side), which was my way of paying respects to Thunder Road since I won't be making it to Carowinds this year, and Eiffel Tower. I can't really power ride like I used to but just being in the park and getting the few rides I did get, was fantastic.

I also like the new wait time information they now post on the Fun TV's and park directories. I'm also happy they took the music off the Beast's first hill and just have a "Welcome to the Beast" spiel about keeping hands and arms inside the car at all times (you still hear a little bit of the music on the second lift).

To be sort of fair, Diamondback has bins and Banshee does not. Still, the line moves so slow in comparison when B&M's are normally capacity monsters. I would like to see the bins removed in the off season and see how much of a difference that makes.

Diamondback has always had bins and they weren't really a problem in the past. I've spent at least one day at the park in 2010-2012 and again this year and it was rare to ever see all three trains stacked in 2010-2012. I did not see a single cycle this year where they were NOT triple stacked.

I long to see these days again:

294156_2078732520434_4029864_n.jpg.addc46bf86c271de16769eb7cc2136f5.jpg

IMG_2576.thumb.JPG.b387e51242a0e8c47282d0f885a18d0a.JPG

a few had to go back and get their sandals since they couldn't ride barefoot.

Honestly why not? Who cares? You can ride Banshee barefoot, you can ride Rougarou, Raptor, Wicked Twister and Gatekeeper barefoot... what kinds of hazerdous things exist on Diamondback or the Diamondback platform that make this policy necessary? If that's truly what's holding up dispatches then I don't get it, and honestly you should be able to ride this ride barefoot as for many people their feet don't touch the floor and they could probably lose them.

I don't blame the ride ops for that if they're just doing their jobs, and maybe there's a reason for it that I just don't understand because I'm not an operations expert but I'm really curious as to what that reason could possibly be.

Honestly why not? Who cares? You can ride Banshee barefoot, you can ride Rougarou, Raptor, Wicked Twister and Gatekeeper barefoot... what kinds of hazerdous things exist on Diamondback or the Diamondback platform that make this policy necessary? If that's truly what's holding up dispatches then I don't get it, and honestly you should be able to ride this ride barefoot as for many people their feet don't touch the floor and they could probably lose them.

I don't blame the ride ops for that if they're just doing their jobs, and maybe there's a reason for it that I just don't understand because I'm not an operations expert but I'm really curious as to what that reason could possibly be.

It is because of the mid course brake run. If the ride breaks down and a evacuation has to happen, then guest have to walk down a tall metal spiral stair case then along a long gravel path with a serious elevation change before finally reaching the old Tomb Raider photo booth. (that's where you rejoin the park). I worked on the ride in 2012 and we busted our asses to make sure that we did not stack, that photo above is just embarrassing...

To be sort of fair, Diamondback has bins and Banshee does not. Still, the line moves so slow in comparison when B&M's are normally capacity monsters. I would like to see the bins removed in the off season and see how much of a difference that makes.

Diamondback has always had bins and they weren't really a problem in the past. I've spent at least one day at the park in 2010-2012 and again this year and it was rare to ever see all three trains stacked in 2010-2012. I did not see a single cycle this year where they were NOT triple stacked.

I long to see these days again:

It's pretty sad how there's always a line on Diamondback now. Gone are the days when it is a walk on during the slowest of days.

[it is because of the mid course brake run. If the ride breaks down and a evacuation has to happen, then guest have to walk down a tall metal spiral stair case then along a long gravel path with a serious elevation change before finally reaching the old Tomb Raider photo booth. (that's where you rejoin the park). I worked on the ride in 2012 and we busted our asses to make sure that we did not stack, that photo above is just embarrassing...

That makes sense, but why is that not a problem on Raptor, Rougarou or Gatekeeper which are all in the same chain? I'm not questioning you, I'm just curious.

Also, in the amazingly rare event of an evac from the MCBR if you had bins labeled 1,2 and 3 couldn't you just grab the shoes out of it and bring them to the MCBR? That would be a hassle if it happened often but I would think it almost never does. Right?

a few had to go back and get their sandals since they couldn't ride barefoot.

The reson I was told when I worked Diamondback is that if the ride broke down and you had to walk down the lift/stairs, you need shoes. The steps could cut bare feet since they're grooved to give you more traction when walking up 200+ feet. You wouldn't want smooth non traction steps, that's dangerous! It's as simple as that.

Oh come on Coasterbill...that's just silly haha. Carrying a bunch of shoes and sandals up to the MCBR/lift and auctioning them off...lmao

Edited by PKI Jizzman

That makes sense, but why is that not a problem on Raptor, Rougarou or Gatekeeper which are all in the same chain? I'm not questioning you, I'm just curious.

You would be surprised about how different Kings Island's policy's are from Cedar Point. When I worked there it was a mixture of policy's and regulations from the old Paramount days and some of Cedar Fair's stuff. Its honestly really confusing and amazing that the two "flagship" parks in the chain have completely different ways of operation.

So, quick review/trip report (okay, not that quick, by time I was done...). I was hoping to do a big photo report and all, but...as usual I didn't really think to take lots of photos. Just not really a photographer, I guess.

Last week, a friend and I hit Canada's Wonderland, King's Island, and Cedar Point on a rather circuitous roadtrip to a convention in Pittsburgh. I'd been to CW before, but KI and CP were both firsts for me. So, King's Islandhere...

Banshee - This was the reason I planned the trip to start with. Inverts have been my favorite type of coaster for many years now, and I'd heard only great things about Banshee, so I needed to find out if I was going to have a new favorite coaster! It didn't let me down. Absolutely the best inverted coaster out there right now. The POVs of this one just don't do it justice; it's so much more intense than it looks in any video. It's just relentless, it never seems to lose any speed until the one slow roll at the end. If it's great during the day though, it's indescribable at night, with the lighting and effects, and the way it drops over the hill away from the rest of the park. Love love love love love every moment of it, and yes, it certainly did take my #1 spot. 10/10

The Bat - I have such a soft spot for these endangered Arrow suspended rides, and it's heartbreaking that the best of them are all gone now. The Bat's certainly never been regarded as one of those anywhere that I'm aware of, and I'd just ridden Vortex at CW, and been told that was the best surviving example so I tried not to get my hopes up. I have to disagree with that one; while they're basically clones of each other, The Bat at KI uses its setting far better than Vortex does. I'll take swinging over the natural ravine there over the fake mountain and lake at CW any day. It's still certainly not BBW, but it makes the best of its layout and size, I think; definitely still enjoyable. Given how much I love every last ride I can get on these before they disappear completely, still have to give it an 8/10

Adventure Express - Again not hoping for too much here; my experience with these family mine trains in that they're slow, boring, cramped and uncomfortable. If it's not Thunder Mountain, it's been pretty much a waste of time. Adventure Express was at least a notch above that. Quite a bit quicker than I expected, built into a great little area. The surprisingly nicely themed lift at the end was unexpected...as, unfortunately, the fact that it turns right back into the station from there. Anticlimactic doesn't even come close to describing it...but still, the rest of the coaster is pretty exciting for a family coaster. 7/10, could be better if it weren't for that ending.

The Racer - Keeping to the theme of rides I didn't expect that much from, I figured on Racer being pretty similar to Rebel Yell at KD. Last time I rode Rebel Yell, it barely felt as if it would make it around the course. Far different from that, the Racer held quite respectable speed, and even showed off some halfway decent airtime. The racing aspect actually worked here too; unlike most of the racers I've ridden, it seemed to be about 50/50 as to which side actually won, instead of one better side or train always taking the lead. Quite a picturesque coaster too. Seems that most of these 70s era wooden coasters, if they haven't already been torn down, are barely holding together, but this one still has some life left in it! 7.5/10

Flight of Fear - Well, not too much to say about this one, since it's exactly like the one I've ridden so many times at KD. Fun, twisted layout, good launch, disorienting , and still glad every time I ride it that the OTSRs are long gone, but the mid-course brakes take something out of it, and it doesn't seem as dark as it used to be. 8/10

Firehawk - The surprise of the day! I haven't heard tons of love poured out for Flying Dutchmans in general, and I never really gave them much thought. Compared to the B&M Flyers, they look clunky, outdated, rough, and inefficient. Of course, that didn't mean I didn't want the credit. Turns out, they -are- comparatively clunky, inefficient, rough...and FAR more fun! From the moment it flips you around from the lift hill into the first drop, it feels crazy and unpredictable, the maneuvers feel completely different in that position... By time it pulled back into the station, I was laughing so hard I had to wipe away tears. I don't think any coaster's ever left me with quite that response before...and a second ride was just as good even after I knew what was coming. I love every moment of this coaster, not sure I could ever get enough of it...and I think for me it just might tie with Banshee for me. 10/10

Backlot Stunt Coaster - Mostly the same as at KD or CW, but unlike last time I rode either of those, the special effects seem to still be maintained and working here, which certainly makes a difference. Still small and over too quickly, but a nice enough family ride when it's kept up well. Too bad its clones in the other parks aren't. 7/10

Vortex - Not a ton to say here. Big old Arrow monster; reasonably smooth for what it is, which is still far from smooth, but as good as it's going to get for the type of coaster. Probably one of the better examples of its generation, but as much as I love the classics...with the rough transitions and limited elements, it definitely still shows its age compared to newer coasters. Worth a ride or two though. 7/10

The Beast - Finally time for the legend. So much waiting, for so many years...even decades? Can it live up to it? Weeeellllll...kiiiiinda. It's impressive in its way, it's certainly still got size and speed even compared to newer wood coasters, but it's just hard to get all that excited over so much straight track, even if you cover it quickly...and then there are the brakes. Why so many brakes, on a coaster built for pure speed? Would have been all rather disappointed...except, of course, that I knew better than to judge it during the day. At night, of course, it's a completely different ride. Speeding through the shadows of the trees half a mile from the park , fireflies lighting the shed as you cruise through it...okay, that's more like the coaster I was told to expect. 7/10 in the day, 9/10 at night

Diamondback - Great overall, probably should be my favorite of the B&M Hypers I've ridden so far, but holy hell did it have a rattle both times I rode. Such a persistent, fast rattle that it was more of a buzz, just shook the entire train the entire way through the course...quite unpleasant. I'll try to consider that a temporary maintenance issue and not a real flaw of the ride, because the layout and setting are great, it's lightning fast and actually has some forces compared to most of these rides, and I'm a sucker for pretty looking gimmicks like the water splash at the end. 8/10, 9/10 if they fix that rattle, and we won't talk about the double stacking...

Invertigo - Well, it's an inverted boomerang. How much is there to say? Well, at least to say that when I rode it, it was -smooth-. No, not "slightly more smooth than normal" but "head didn't hit the restraints once" smooth. On a boomerang. I can only compare to Stinger at Dorney, which has tried to murder me every time I gave in and rode. Maintenance only goes so far, there's clearly black magic at work here. It's still just a boomerang, but one that's elevated from a torture device to a halfway-decent, re-rideable coaster. 7/10

Other thoughts -

Windseeker - Finally sucked it up and got on a Windseeker. Been a long time since a ride intimidated me this much...until the moment it actually started. The thing is so impossibly graceful for something so massive...I almost stopped feeling like I was on a ride. Just flying. It wasn't "thrilling", it wasn't terrifying, it was just kinda beautiful.

Whitewater rapids - Petitioning for a rename to Icewater Rapids. Otherwise pretty fun, even if it didn't really stand out from a lot of other rapids rides.

Park food - Not really good, but acceptable, which is a step up from where Cedar Fair used to be on food. Had mexican in the afternoon, which was about what I expected from amusement park mexican, and amazingly enough didn't destroy my digestive system, halfway-decent pizza for dinner...and I'm pretty sure I had a snack or two but it can't have been very memorable, considering I can't remember what it was. All rather expensive for the quality/quantity though.

Setting and grounds - Well, it's not Busch Gardens for theming or Knoebels for shade, but it's a very attractive park overall anyway, with some reasonably well themed areas, lots of nice details (love the viking fury ship swinging out over the water) plenty of tree cover in places...a bit random in the themeing (oktoberfest beer hall O.o) but it all works very well for the most park.

Maintenance and upkeep - Top-notch from what I could see, everything was bright, well kept, and clean. Among the best I've ever seen. Every ride in the park looked great and ran better.

Staff - Very good, with rare but sad exceptions. I was impressed with the attitudes all around the park; not sure I've ever seen a chain park where the staff was so pleasant; can't say if it's typical there or just a good day. Most of the coasters were running very efficiently, with Banshee certainly taking the lead. Diamondback, as has been commented on quite a bit here lately, was not so wonderful, with trains double-stacked more often than not. That was the only coaster I saw running slowly though; most others were keeping up with heavy crowds pretty well.

Overall - Just a great day at a wonderful park. Really loved nearly everything about this place. It could use a few more good flats and a little help in the kitchen, but between the awesome coasters, with even their most mundane being solidly above average, the park's generally good operations, and top-notch upkeep...I think it's safe to put King's Island solidly in my top few favorite parks. Though I did get on all the major rides, I don't feel like one day was enough to get my fill at all, and I'm tossing around the idea of trying to get back out there for Halloween season; certainly next year at worst.

Adventure Express - The surprisingly nicely themed lift at the end was unexpected...as, unfortunately, the fact that it turns right back into the station from there. Anticlimactic doesn't even come close to describing it...but still, the rest of the coaster is pretty exciting for a family coaster. 7/10, could be better if it weren't for that ending.

This is what makes Adventure Express so classic!! It's so hilarious the huge build up when all of it use to work, and then you turn into the station. That's the reason everyone loves the ride.

Can anyone tell me if there's a reasonable method of getting from Cincinnati to Kings Island without a car?

I've been striking out trying to locate an efficient transit, train or shuttle service that doesn't require multiple transfers at weird times of the day. I found a taxi service that offers a $30 flat-rate fee (each way), but past experience tells me all that does is leave you trapped at the park at closing.

Figure it's at least worth asking before I just give up and rent a car.

Taxi is really your only bet as the park is a good 20 miles north of the city. Are you flying in? If so that will make it worse as the airport is actually in Kentucky.

I'll be in Cincinnati for a wedding; as a passenger in someone else's car though. The car owner is anti-amusement park in every way.

My coaster trip budget is already maxed out for the summer so I'm trying to do a first-ever trip to KI as cheaply as possible. It's not helping that the Canadian dollar is taking massive nosedives in the last week (currently $0.76 for every US Dollar... and falling daily).

Oh well, I'm just gonna suck it up and rent the damn car. No way I'm being that close to a new-to-me park with a Platinum Pass and not going.

Your friend won't drop you off? It's right off the major highway, I71 so it's pretty easy to get to from any part of Cincinnati. From downtown it should only be a 25 minute drive unless you're near rush hour. (Traffic will start building between downtown and KI around 3:30) And there's a convenient drop off area. And you could buy a ticket online, drink water, and get a snack in the park for less than 50 bucks, I believe.

Throw your friend 50 bucks! It's pretty expensive to rent a car, and time consuming. I'd use that as a last resort. Try downloading Uber or Lyft (personal Taxi apps, I'm sure you've heard of), too. You get 20 bucks off your first ride if you're a new member.

My "friend" is actually a grumpy old man (related to me by marriage) that doesn't respect or even acknowledge "grown men that go to amusement parks intended for little girls." One of those. ugh.

I rather pay for the car rental.

My "friend" is actually a grumpy old man (related to me by marriage) that doesn't respect or even acknowledge "grown men that go to amusement parks intended for little girls." One of those. ugh.

I rather pay for the car rental.

Oh, crap. Sorry to hear that! What a crotchety fun sucker. There are TPR members in the Cincy area, sorry none of them are reaching out! There used to be a stronger presence in Cincy.

^ That's a really great idea.

Anyone in or around Cincinnati with a car on Tuesday August 18th want to go to the park with me? I'll provide gas, free parking, food and drinks (up to a value equal to that of a car rental).