TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

A random thought:

So far, there have been two B&M gigacoasters built. Leviathan at Canada's Wonderland and Fury 325 at Carowinds.

So far, there have been four B&M hypercoasters with staggered seating built: Behemoth at Canada's Wonderland, Intimidator at Carowinds, Diamondback at Kings Island, and Shambhala at PortAventura. The latter is not a Cedar Fair park, so we can ignore it for the time being.

Two of the three remaining V-seat B&M hypers are at parks that later built a B&M giga. The third is Kings Island.

Granted, this probably means nothing, but it's an interesting coincidence.

Good point. I think it's definitely possible that Kings Island could get a B&M Giga for their next coaster considering the route Carowinds and Canada's Wonderland have taken, although I don't see it happening until at least 2018.

The park is streamlining itself for what i think would be an expected attendance jump in the future. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a massive new coaster in 2017 or 2018 like that of Fury325.

Diamondback and Banshee are so popular, I would really think they would go with B&M again.

not please no .

Just because you think they are redundant doesn't mean they aren't sound investments. From all I've heard Leviathan is a fantastic ride and very different from Behemoth, and I expect no less from Fury. Cedar Fair wouldn't spend $30 million on Fury if Leviathan wasn't a good investment. If you don't like it, don't ride it. Simple as that.

I also don't see how anyone in the world would be against the idea of a giga coaster for a park like Kings Island.

If you're against park development, that's different, but this is a major corporate park that must keep on top of trends to attract millions of visitors, and they're going to do what they think will bring in the most visitors.

MF =/= Magnum

Leviathan =/= Behemoth

Fury =/= Intimidator

And for most people, these giga coasters are superior to their hyper counterparts. I see nothing to complain about here.

Speaking of hypers, Which is better Diamondback or Intimitador?? I'm visiting Kings Island this summer, and my favorite ride of all time is a B&M Hyper ( Goliath), unfortunaly the other two I've been on ( Intimitador & Raging Bull) were extremlt dissapointing, I'm hoping Diamondback delivers.

Speaking of hypers, Which is better Diamondback or Intimitador?? I'm visiting Kings Island this summer, and my favorite ride of all time is a B&M Hyper ( Goliath), unfortunaly the other two I've been on ( Intimitador & Raging Bull) were extremlt dissapointing, I'm hoping Diamondback delivers.

I like Diamondback much more. It's layout is a little more varied and interesting than Intimidator, which is pretty much just hill after hill after hill and nothing else.

not please no .

Just because you think they are redundant doesn't mean they aren't sound investments. From all I've heard Leviathan is a fantastic ride and very different from Behemoth

absolutely not, leviathan is very boring (at least for me) camelback curve, curve, camelback, end. I much preferred behemoth.

then I do not understand, there are dozens of types of coaster. why build the same thing? (Just a little bit higher)

I prefer Diamondback to Carowinds' Intimidator, but I305 beats them both.

This. Diamondback is a really good ride in the back seat, probably the most airtime I've experienced on a B&M hyper. It rattles a little back there but it's nothing that takes away from the ride experience.

not please no .

Just because you think they are redundant doesn't mean they aren't sound investments. From all I've heard Leviathan is a fantastic ride and very different from Behemoth

absolutely not, leviathan is very boring (at least for me) camelback curve, curve, camelback, end. I much preferred behemoth.

then I do not understand, there are dozens of types of coaster. why build the same thing? (Just a little bit higher)

Because parks do not build for enthusiasts.

not please no .

Cedar Fair has a great relationship with B&M from what we've seen, and a giga coaster is easiest to market among the general public, being their target audience. Enthusiasts make up such a small part of their attendance that they don't take into account their opinions when buildig a new coaster.

Just because you find it "boring" doesn't mean it's a bad investment, and in all honesty, if you find a 300 foot tall, 93 mph roller coaster "boring," you need to find a new hobby. You're not going to find many coasters more exciting than Leviathan.

I found Diamondback and Intimidator Carowinds to be pretty much equal though I like Diamondback's layout better. Back seat or at least towards the back on Diamondback has some nice pops of air and night rides are excellent (though not nearly as epic as The Beast's).

not please no .

Cedar Fair has a great relationship with B&M from what we've seen, and a giga coaster is easiest to market among the general public, being their target audience. Enthusiasts make up such a small part of their attendance that they don't take into account their opinions when buildig a new coaster.

Just because you find it "boring" doesn't mean it's a bad investment, and in all honesty, if you find a 300 foot tall, 93 mph roller coaster "boring," you need to find a new hobby. You're not going to find many coasters more exciting than Leviathan.

Well said. I think a B&M giga may be in Kings Island's future too.

I know i might get a lot of crap for this since this is the KI forum, but I recently spent this past Saturday night and almost all day Sunday at The Great Wolf Lodge located next to KI. This was my second trip to the water park/resort. Overall the Great Wolf was pretty satisfying! The water park has a good collection of slides for all ages and the food service, games, etc. was very well taken care of. The water park has 2 Body slides (for young kids, teens can go on them), a master blaster (water coaster), a family raft slide, a triple funnel water slide, a pair tube slides, and a bowl slide. The kids area has water basketball, play zones, tipping buckets etc. The water park also has a "lazy river", although it wasn't slow at all. Feel free to enjoy pics of the water park, and KI. My next full trip reports will be from The season preview night (April 17th, hope to see some of you there!) and Opening Day (April 18th). Please Enjoy! And By The Way i think that if the park map shoes that the tower gardens are going to be re-done, it might just be true after all. and pics where takin with my Iphone 5s, sorry if some arent in good quality

IMG_0041.thumb.JPG.fb97083a86c95ca0ad47f3132637dec2.JPG

View from the window in the lobby. The watercoaster was quite fun!

IMG_0042.thumb.JPG.5c08fa1af74111a765b615721c30ca6e.JPG

The Northen Lights Arcade has A flappy Bird game!? What!?

IMG_0063.thumb.JPG.6772888b5ce373fab24e8f53d6e29d5e.JPG

Did not play the minature golf but the theming and black light effects where cool!

IMG_0068.thumb.JPG.82cbce7c360c0f15cd65f96d38ed9ab4.JPG

Sadly not open :'(

IMG_0072.thumb.JPG.103845ce5c481bf06d8e347b64dee4ec.JPG

I really like the new paint job on The Bat

IMG_0087.thumb.JPG.7c3a215ae107514b0186195694287fbb.JPG

Endings of the watercoaster and family raft slide.

IMG_0088.thumb.JPG.3e11e8c5b143cecf68cefbd7fc8c3823.JPG

Bowlslide, and lazy river

IMG_0089.thumb.JPG.5fc646090ba520d4205cff568d7a36bd.JPG

bowlslide. Still wishing KI and Cedar Fair would invest in some new slides for KI.

IMG_0092.thumb.JPG.b27200bd4f3e2ef4230cedc95325a611.JPG

play area with Basketball

IMG_0093.thumb.JPG.edf21c02fe70e6472e0f7319676fe56b.JPG

Childrens show area in the lobby.

IMG_0094.thumb.JPG.fd6ebee36a182e372b8338adbb2af3d5.JPG

A backview of KI, somewhat of a rare pic to see i guess,

IMG_0096.thumb.JPG.0c094734399c255ebeeae15945578503.JPG

Backside of the waterpark. Family raft slide is CLEARLY visible. Triple funnel waterslide is pictured to along with one of the every-age tube slide (orange)

IMG_0097.thumb.JPG.67307eb39bbcd34ebdef2d234d73b60c.JPG

KI Sign is advertising already! April 17th and 18th needs to hurry up! ;)

IMG_0099.thumb.JPG.f2e4df456b965a0a893c896d1232548b.JPG

All is quiet as the restless soul of the banshee sleeps

IMG_0102.thumb.JPG.c898304d88b0705a1a813d6f4c075324.JPG

Honestly i was shocked as i saw that the Eiffel Tower was lit up in different colors at night.

IMG_0104.thumb.JPG.009aec3126fed2bb5834a36da9d2f7a3.JPG

Preferably the best B&M Hyper I've been on. The worst investment (but great for views) was the windseeker models.............

I have a quick question.

I have been to Kings Island three to four times a summer for the past several years (was right around Indy) I have done Dinasours Alive all of once...

To my question, does DA still bring in a massive amount of cash or is it tapering off? I ask because I was just thinking about its location and the fact that if DA was removed but path back there was widened slighty, I see a loop connecting that deadend that is Windseeker and Vortex to the deadend next to FireHawk. If they were to do this they would have all the land to the back of that property (KI owns a lot of that land, yes?) I know that is more than likely wont happen but I just hate that deadend with Firehawk and that seems like the easier option to me.

They could scrap Adventure Express I guess to get back there but I hope they don't. Even though it is rough, its one of the more unique mine trains left.

To my question, does DA still bring in a massive amount of cash or is it tapering off?

I wont say that it brings in a BIG amount of cash but it does bring in somewhat of a lot of visitors, even since they've let Gold and Platinum passholders get in for free. I've seen quite a few dozens of people in it when i went threw it last year (about 5 times).

I visited DA last year since it was free with my pass. It was my first visit since 2011 and honestly I don't see a reason to go back through anytime soon.

I will say it's fairly well done, and a nice break from the sun and I'm sure the kids enjoy it, but the area could definitely be put to better use.

I think the fact that the gift shop is a temporary structure could indicate that it may only have a few more seasons left in the park. I actually saw them making it free to passholders as an early indicator that its days were likely numbered, that and the fact that the movie is already gone.

For this year I'm hoping that they get rid of the stupid dinosaur in front of the fountains... 4 seasons of that tacky eyesore is enough.

Howdy Folks,

I believe what I am about to ask is appropriately placed in this thread. If not, I apologize in advance.

I'm going to ask a VERY lucky girl to prom via the on-ride photo (asks are all about theatrics nowadays). Here is how it is going to go down on a perfect day:

1) Get in line for Diamondback

2) Get in to an appropriate seat

3) She asks me what we are doing for the photo (because that's what everybody does, I mean come on)

4) I tell her to smile big with two thumbs up

5) She listens to my direction

6) When the photo opportunity strikes, I reveal the phrase "PROM?" beneath my shirt, unbeknownst to her

7) Button my shirt back up, we go check out the photo, and she notices she replied yes without even knowing

8) Purchase that puppy

Notice I stated, "perfect day." Going into the logistics I'll need:

- to decide whether shirt or sign is a better route to follow.

- to figure out where the camera is and which direction to look.

- to find out which set of seats would likely yield least obstruction from extended limbs

- to know if Diamondback is a good ride to do this on (I'm concerned with quality of camera or a bad glare at certain times of the day).

Hopefully you guys could provide me with answers. I'd really appreciate it.

Also, hopefully she isn't scoping out these forums.