TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

I can see the next KI coaster project being a Giga Coaster in 2017/2018. I would also expect it to be a B&M. The annual attendance (3.3 million) would justify the cost. Increasing competition is becoming more evident so they will want something to help pull people back to Ohio.

RMC and their stuff is awesome, but that would cause quite the uproar and would be almost sacrilegious to the Coaster enthusiasts out there if they were to do that. I think there would be a lot of unhappy people and negative backlash if they were to let RMC redo The Beast.

I could live with some topper track, assuming no modifications are made to the layout. Anything else would be a crime.

An interesting question is what Son of Beast's fate would have been if RMC was as big then as they are now. However, given that Mean Streak is still it's old Dinn self, I don't necessarily imagine anything different would have been done.

I cannot honestly see Beast becoming a RMC attraction. Sure, the effects would be amazing, but The Beast is a classic woodie, and one of the more renowned at that. Now I could see RMC coming in and making a whole new attraction, maybe Son of Beast II, with the cork-screws, maybe the original loop even, but not on the scale that SOB was originally.

Beast will never receive a RMC conversion. There is almost no reason to do so, as it is one of the park's most popular rides and is still generally considered a top tier wooden coaster. Unless something happened that caused it to become unbearably rough or maintenance got prohibitively expensive, I don't think it will ever change significantly.

There are wooden coasters in the Cedar Fair chain that I think would benefit from a RMC conversion. Beast is not one of them.

I cannot honestly see Beast becoming a RMC attraction. Sure, the effects would be amazing, but The Beast is a classic woodie, and one of the more renowned at that. Now I could see RMC coming in and making a whole new attraction, maybe Son of Beast II, with the cork-screws, maybe the original loop even, but not on the scale that SOB was originally.

Colossus at magic mountain was a classic, but look at it now. With that being said, I hope the beast stays just as it is now.

Colossus at magic mountain was a classic, but look at it now. With that being said, I hope the beast stays just as it is now.

MORE FLAGS SIX FLAGS.

No better explanation that that.

In all seriousness, Cedar Fair takes care of The Beast, quite well I may add, and from what I've heard, Six Flags was letting Colossus go downhill... so an overhaul was needed and welcomed.

I think most people that have ridden the beast know that it would honestly make for an aweful RMC conversion. First off, its already a great ride that is already one of the best known coasters in the world. Second, the layout wouldn't really lend itself to RMC. Lets be real, there isn't much you can do with the existing structure.

Son of Beast on the other hand would have been an incredible RMC.

Am I the only one who thinks Beast is a bad ride? I prefer Racer over it. Beast was just slow and boring IMO.

I have not ridden it, but watching Robb's last POV of it, it did look over-trimmed and the first half just seemed to be a lot of straightaways and drawn out turns, which would be great at high speed, but not so much at a slow pace. Again, I have not ridden it so I cannot comment on whether it is a bad ride or not, I just think based on the POV it doesn't look like the coaster it once was.

The Beast travels the same speed it always has. It seems more trimmed because of the magnetic brakes.

When it had skid brakes, it took longer to slow the trains down. Now with the magnetic brakes, it is more abrupt.

Do not judge if you have not ridden.

On a side note, the park has put a lot of work into the Beast over the last few seasons. I have gotten some of my BEST rides on it within the last 3 years.

Never base your "opinion" of a ride on a video. When Banshee videos started popping up, people expected it to be

just "another force-less B&M" and they were proven wrong.

Robb's POV of The Beast looks to be an early morning test run with the train empty. Less weight means less momentum. Less momentum means a slower ride. I can attest that The Beast runs MUCH faster than that on an average summer day with a fully loaded train. Love it or not, it's a very special ride for Kings Island and a milestone in coaster history. I've always loved it. It was one of my first big coasters, and I've probably clocked more rides on it than any other wood coaster in my count.

Also note, the POV Robb took of The Beast was in the morning on a cold day with an empty train before the park was open for the season, so the ride was nowhere near full speed. When the ride catches the 2nd lift hill, you can see a landing up to the right. During normal operation the train makes it well past that landing when engaging the 2nd lift, during any of the times I've ridden the train has never engaged lower than that landing on the 2nd lift. Also the huge thing about The Beast is riding at night. No lights out in the woods along with a layout you can't see, That's when The Beast truly shines. Like both posters above me, don't knock it 'till you try it!

The Beast used to be what I thought one of the most intense roller coasters out there until I broadened my horizons. Nowadays, it simply just feels like a buzzkill when you look down that first drop only to be trimmed, and only to be sent into another set of trims a few seconds later after the first tunnel. The mid-course yet again shaves off what could be a very intense second tunnel. Fortunately, the drop into the helix feels the least trimmed and it is fairly intense, but there is simply other stuff out there that is better.

Unfortunately, minor re-profiling and new trains that could eliminate the need for most trims while retaining the original concept/layout would simply not have a high enough ROI to justify the cost, as the typical guest is virtually blind to the concept of trims and how trims affect a coaster. As much as I try not to let it get in the way, my coaster nerd knowledge and experience simply prevents me from holding The Beast to such a high standard because I feel like something is being held back from the ride experience. I'm glad The Beast is still considered by most to be a Kings Island legend, but for me it is simply not "The Beast" of a coaster as it could be.

Still a great coaster to see in pictures and in video due to its stellar location, but unfortunately the ride experience leaves an enthusiast wanting a little more.