TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

I am still not understanding the Dive coaster. They already have a wing, floorless, and invert. Maverick already has a beyond vertical drop and would kill any dive coaster. There would have to be something pretty special about this Dive coaster to make it stand out against the other coasters in the park, otherwise its going to be like gatekeeper where its amazing to watch but doesn't stack up against some of the other rides. .02

I am still not understanding the Dive coaster. They already have a wing, floorless, and invert. Maverick already has a beyond vertical drop and would kill any dive coaster. There would have to be something pretty special about this Dive coaster to make it stand out against the other coasters in the park, otherwise its going to be like gatekeeper where its amazing to watch but doesn't stack up against some of the other rides. .02

While I'm in agreement with this, especially similarities to GateKeeper, my guess is that the marketing angle would be a 200+ ft. drop at 90*. (I'm not forgetting about the 420' McD's, just assuming that they're different enough to work around). Once you have the variety and coaster count that Cedar Point has, I guess eventually it's not as important as building reliable people eaters is. At least two other parks in the chain just dropped two B&M Speed/Mega Coasters in a row.

This may sound stupid, but Does anyone think that maybe KI could run Banshee trains backwords for a couple months? Sort of what Six Flags does with their Batman rides

I feel like that would be way too intense.

It doesn't get much more intense than the BTR clones. Anyone who has been on them knows that despite the small size, they are incredibly forceful and snappy. A backwards Banshee, however unlikely, could not be discredited based on intensity. However, Great Adventure did a short test of Medusa backwards (not open to the public) and decided that it was too intense for the public and scrapped the idea.

This may sound stupid, but Does anyone think that maybe KI could run Banshee trains backwords for a couple months? Sort of what Six Flags does with their Batman rides

I'm sure that they could, but I don't know that they should. Based on my experience with Batman backwards at SFMM, it is a major downgrade to the ride experience. For instance, I consider regular Batman a B level coaster, while Batman backwards would be a C-. I've got a feeling Banshee backwards would be a ride a lot of people would do once but not too many people would want to ride again.

Cedar Fair won't turn any trains backwards, that includes racer. From what I understand an outside company certifies Cedar Fair's coasters for operation. That company will only give only give the green light to operate a ride if its running on the original manufacturer specifications. That's the reason Racer, Rebel Yell, & Thunder Road were all turned forward once Cedar Fair took over. Since those rides were never designed to go backwards they can't be approved to run that way with the company that Cedar Fair uses. So unless it's a boomerang, or another type designed to go backwards since day one, don't expect any backwards coasters in a Cedar Fair park.