TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Planning to be at the park the Friday (all day) and Saturday (morning only) of Labor Day weekend (8/29-30). What kinds of crowds should I expect Friday? And how do people flow at park open now that Banshee is open? Any reason I should plan to need fastlane (other than if I wanted to leave for a few hours in the afternoon to go check out the Beach waterpark and still wanted to be able to ride everything as much as possible)?

I always love to hit the Beast at night, but how is the Banshee night ride?

Also, is Banshee included in morning ERT? If so, I figure I'll do that (and maybe Bat) during ERT on Saturday, then quickly head to Beast for a ride or two before the line gets too long, and then utilize the Diamondback SR line for a few rides before heading out (and up to Cedar Point!). Is that a sold plan?

Any other tips? Thanks!

^Schools go back really early around here, so the park should be dead on that Friday. Yes, Banshee, Bat, and Delirium are included in morning ERT. Diamondback's single rider line is now the fast lane, so that's no longer an option. It's been stated hundreds of times before, but get to FoF and Firehawk right after opening. By mid-afternoon, Banshee's line will probably be under 15 minutes.

Planning to be at the park the Friday (all day) and Saturday (morning only) of Labor Day weekend (8/29-30). What kinds of crowds should I expect Friday? And how do people flow at park open now that Banshee is open? Any reason I should plan to need fastlane (other than if I wanted to leave for a few hours in the afternoon to go check out the Beach waterpark and still wanted to be able to ride everything as much as possible)?

I always love to hit the Beast at night, but how is the Banshee night ride?

Also, is Banshee included in morning ERT? If so, I figure I'll do that (and maybe Bat) during ERT on Saturday, then quickly head to Beast for a ride or two before the line gets too long, and then utilize the Diamondback SR line for a few rides before heading out (and up to Cedar Point!). Is that a sold plan?

Any other tips? Thanks!

Banshee is an amazing night ride. If you've already experienced The Beast at night, I would spend some time at Banshee. By night time the line is usually very short and you can get several rides in.

is the KD version better than the KI version of FoF?

My vote is also for Kings Dominion's version of Flight Of Fear.

I agree, Kings Dominion's Flight of Fear is much better. Both are good but the one at KD is very smooth and the one at KI is a bit jerky. I actually consider Flight of Fear at KD to be the 3rd or 4th best coaster in the park. It's a great coaster.

I actually consider Flight of Fear at KD to be the 3rd or 4th best coaster in the park.

No offense to KD, but that's really not saying a whole lot...there's quite a bit of falloff IMHO from i305 to #2 at the park. Everything else is really just kind of meh. In fact, I'm not even sure which coaster I would put at #2. I know Volcano is popular, but other than the launches, it's really not all that impressive to me. Dominator is your standard B&M floorless--nothing really to write home about. What's left? 4 woodies, an old Arrow, a Mack bobsled, a TOGO death machine, a wild mouse, and the 2 Premier launch coasters.

But enough about KD. It's good to know that the KI FoF is a bit more jerky than the one at KD these days. I may end up skipping it altogether if the line is anything much more than a station wait. I just can't stand the massive low frequency rumble crap they pipe into the queue. It drives me nuts.

I actually consider Flight of Fear at KD to be the 3rd or 4th best coaster in the park.

No offense to KD, but that's really not saying a whole lot...there's quite a bit of falloff IMHO from i305 to #2 at the park. Everything else is really just kind of meh. In fact, I'm not even sure which coaster I would put at #2. I know Volcano is popular, but other than the launches, it's really not all that impressive to me. Dominator is your standard B&M floorless--nothing really to write home about. What's left? 4 woodies, an old Arrow, a Mack bobsled, a TOGO death machine, a wild mouse, and the 2 Premier launch coasters.

Couldn't that be said of most parks in the country though, one or two standouts with some more average coasters? I'd say KD has a very solid lineup.

I'm going to be visiting the park (as well as the state of Ohio itself) for the first time this Friday and Saturday. I already have a Platinum Pass, I may plan to get a FastLane for one of the days, and I already have my hotel booked. But I was wondering if there are other things I should prepare for on a first time visit? Like where to start first, what are the best times to get on rides, etc.

Since you have a Platinum Pass you can get a few early rides in before the park opens on Banshee, Delirium, and Bat. This starts at 9:30. Afterwards head towards Coney Mall where you'll be able to hit FoF and Firehawk with minimal waits. After that everything else should not be a problem.

^It's still on ERT. I was there yesterday and saw it running with people on it while over by Banshee.

Speaking of yesterday's visit, I noticed something very interesting. So for much of the season, Shake Rattle & Roll has been down. Last time I saw it, the whole ride was jacked up off its foundation. Yesterday, I noticed the ride was completely gone. The ride, the queue railings, and even the entrance sign. All that is left is the foundation and ride control booth. My guess it that there was a major problem with the ride system to where it had to be taken down completely to be repaired.

For anyone that was at Banshee Bash, did you notice this?

1608609416_photo(1).thumb.JPG.2db2150f17e7d6ee1d5721ac1a54b67f.JPG

Yep. Totally gone.

^It's still on ERT. I was there yesterday and saw it running with people on it while over by Banshee.

Speaking of yesterday's visit, I noticed something very interesting. So for much of the season, Shake Rattle & Roll has been down. Last time I saw it, the whole ride was jacked up off its foundation. Yesterday, I noticed the ride was completely gone. The ride, the queue railings, and even the entrance sign. All that is left is the foundation and ride control booth. My guess it that there was a major problem with the ride system to where it had to be taken down completely to be repaired.

For anyone that was at Banshee Bash, did you notice this?

Yeah I took a pic that afternoon with my smartphone of the main platform being completely empty to show my wife because she likes to ride that one occasionally.

At Banshee Bash I asked a good source on the subject and he said it will be back next season. The broken part was going to require the ride to be major disassemble and take a long time. The decision is to put it away for the season. That is all he said.

Yes, I spoke with Guest Relations and they do hope to bring Shake, Rattle and Roll back if possible. I know Kings Dominion built a brand new one around 2004 or so, so I'm not sure if HUSS still will build them a new one if this one cannot be repaired since it's no longer offered in their catalog.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to KI Saturday and had a great time. Is it me or does the park have the coasters running faster than normal? The Beast is running way more faster than it did last year...It felt like it was leaving the tracks...I loved it! The Beast is my favorite wooden coaster, hands down. I have to say, Banshee on the back row is probably the most forceful B&M coaster I've rode. A whole different experience on the back compared to the front. Some spots, it felt like it was melting my face. Incredible coaster...And yay for B&M for making another awesome creation! One last thing, I got to give Vortex the bird...That coaster is just a brutal bitch. I hate it. I want it to die. That's all.

Went to the park yesterday, had a great time. It was overcast the entire day and not crowded at all. Banshee was running great, ops were really flying, never waited more than 10 minutes. It still has that rattle especially in the back. Yesterday was the first time that the vest restraints really bothered me. I rode 6 times and by the last one time, the vests really hurt my shoulders. During the ride I didn't notice it as much but just sitting in the station and on the break run was uncomfortable.

Rode Racer, Firehawk, Vortex, Backlot, Adventure Express, and Bat once.

Beast was also running great, it was really flying through the double helix. Got 4 rides in on Beast. Also got 4 rides in on Diamondback, it is probably my favorite Hyper. Apollo is close but it's been 8 years since I've been on it.

Did lunch at Reds Hall of Fame Grille, it was nice to get inside with some air conditioning and just sit. Had the Pulled Pork Sandwich, not the worst I've had but not the best.

After lunch went to Boo Blasters and had a lot more fun than I thought I would.

Lastly, in the morning when walking by Sling Shot they were selling tickets for $5, I couldn't pass that up! This was my first Sling Shot ride and I really enjoyed it. I don't know if I would want to pay more than $10 for it but it was a lot of fun but not nearly as intense as I thought it might be. Overall, it was a great day and I hopefully will be back before the end of the season.

Lastly, in the morning when walking by Sling Shot they were selling tickets for $5, I couldn't pass that up! This was my first Sling Shot ride and I really enjoyed it. I don't know if I would want to pay more than $10 for it but it was a lot of fun but not nearly as intense as I thought it might be. Overall, it was a great day and I hopefully will be back before the end of the season.

I think one of the best Kings Island tips is how cheap the upcharge rides are in the morning. Slingshot and the Sky Coaster are both $5 first thing in the morning. Earlier this year we did the early entry into Action Zone and after getting off Banshee we saw the $5 sign for the sky coaster and couldn't pass it up. I'd never seen one that cheap before.