TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

It seemed really clear to me when I was at the park in May that Banshee has fantastic capacity. We thought the line was long when we got into it, but ended up waiting about 20 minutes. They weren't letting people bring loose articles in line, and the ops were moving trains out of the station like lightning. It was nothing like the nightmare of waiting in line for Raptor up in Sandusky... I thought it was just an efficient night, but if the lines are regularly that short for such a fantastic, new ride, then KI is doing something very right.

Part of me wonders if they accounted for capacity problems other B&M inverts have when they designed Banshee. I've never seen the line for one move so quickly.

^ That's really awesome to hear!

We have not ridden Banshee yet, but are looking very forward to being able to ride it on Friday! In looking at the POV's and photos, it certainly looks like it would deliver a nice punch. I really like the looks of that steep first drop...will certainly have to try and snag front and back seat rides on this one....especially at night.

^ That's really awesome to hear!

We have not ridden Banshee yet, but are looking very forward to being able to ride it on Friday! In looking at the POV's and photos, it certainly looks like it would deliver a nice punch. I really like the looks of that steep first drop...will certainly have to try and snag front and back seat rides on this one....especially at night.

Back seat all the way. If you want views, go for the front, but the back just kicks you rear a LOT!

What is a typical weekday/ sunday crowd this time of year?

I've been experiencing waits around 30-45 minutes for the big coasters. Banshee's line usually drops to 20 minutes or less on weekdays, but Beast and Diamondback tend to have consistently long lines until late into the evening. But it's July and everyone is on vacation, so it's expected that the weekday crowds will be heavy. Still much more tolerable than coming on a Saturday.

What is a typical weekday/ sunday crowd this time of year?

I've been experiencing waits around 30-45 minutes for the big coasters. Banshee's line usually drops to 20 minutes or less on weekdays, but Beast and Diamondback tend to have consistently long lines until late into the evening. But it's July and everyone is on vacation, so it's expected that the weekday crowds will be heavy. Still much more tolerable than coming on a Saturday.

Seriously, I have never not walked onto the beast and Saturday it had a 90-120 minute wait. I'm never going on a Saturday ever again.

I visited Kings Island for the first time last week on Wednesday the 16th and Thursday the 17th. I didn't take many photos, but I figured I would share my thoughts after experiencing the park for the first time.

[General thoughts about the park] Wow. There are so many things I like about Kings Island I don't even know where to start. The employees are friendly and helpful, the rides line-up is very solid, the kids' area is the best I've been to, and the landscaping is clean, colorful, and fresh. The park has a great atmosphere and my family (who aren't very roller coaster crazy) enjoyed the park every bit as much as I did. Now I'll get specific about the rides.

[Diamondback] I really didn't know what to expect from this coaster given all of the differing opinions on it. It was also my first B&M Hyper Coaster, so I just went with an open mind. I'm not going to lie: it is a very solid coaster. The first drop is great, and there is solid air on every hill. It rattled at the bottom of the hills, but that didn't prevent it from making my top 5.

[banshee] After hearing that this is a great new coaster from B&M, my expectations were quite large for this ride. I thought it was a very solid invert (better than Raptor) with good forces. The first drop and the last barrel roll were both excellent, but everything in-between just felt...uninspired. Like I said, it's a very solid coaster, but it wasn't OMG AMAZING.

[Firehawk] This was my first Vekoma flyer, and I thought it was quite good. I prefer Tatsu, but it is a solid coaster that was worth re-riding a few times during the visit.

[Flight of Fear] Blah. Sorry, but I do not like this coaster. At all. The lap bars aren't very comfortable (but still better than OTSRs), and the ride was just unpleasant. The first 3 inversions were extremely forceful (it was actually uncomfortable given the amount of time spent in the high g-forces), and the MCBR brought the train to a halt. After that it was just rattly, rough, and slow. The last corkscrew was decent, but that didn't save it from getting a good review. We rode it once and didn't care about riding it again.

[beast] Wow! What a fantastic wooden coaster! It blew away my expectations. Beast is one of those rides where you just throw your hands up in the air and laugh the whole way through! It is my favorite wooden coaster, and in my opinion, better than Banshee.

[Racer] Just a standard racing wooden coaster. Not too rough, not too smooth. There's really nothing worth mentioning about the ride.

[invertigo] This was my first Invertigo-type ride. It was MUCH better than the standard Boomerang, but it's still nothing to write home about. We rode it once.

[bat] A decent suspended coaster. I thought it was better than Ninja, but it's nothing super duper amazing.

[Drop Tower] This easily won for my favorite drop tower. I don't know why, but I thought it was much better than Lex Luthor. The drop was just insane. Excellent, excellent ride.

[backlot Stunt Coaster] A unique little ride. It was smooth, fast, and fun. We rode it a few times.

[Vortex] Oh. My. Gosh. This ride was awful. Really awful. It has got to be one of the worst roller coasters I've ridden. It just flat out sucked from the lift to the brakes. There's really nothing else to say. Sorry Arrow fans.

And I think that covers most of the major rides there. Overall, I had a great time at Kings Island. All of the coasters were very solid, of course with the exception of Flight of Fear and Vortex. Thank you Kings Island for a great couple of days, and thank you Ohio weather for being beautiful on our visit!

[banshee] After hearing that this is a great new coaster from B&M, my expectations were quite large for this ride. I thought it was a very solid invert (better than Raptor) with good forces. The first drop and the last barrel roll were both excellent, but everything in-between just felt...uninspired. Like I said, it's a very solid coaster, but it wasn't OMG AMAZING.

Where did you ride on Banshee?

Where did you ride on Banshee?

I rode once in the front, once in the back, and a few times in the middle. I felt that the back of the train had a little rattle (nothing too bad) but the front of the train was glass smooth. Like I said, great ride, but nothing exceptional. It's got to be the best B&M in the last decade, though.

My Trip to Kings Island was July 7-8 and this is how it went;

Banshee: My new favorite invert, silky smooth in the first few rows, also got a back seat ride. Very forceful and the first drop was outstanding. 9.5/10

Diamondback: I was expecting better airtime, but still a fun lengthy B&M hyper. Love the splashdown. 9/10

The Beast: Definitely one of my new favorite woodies. Love how it runs along the terrain. It's gotten a bit rough though, and the trims are pretty annoying. Still awesome especially at night. 8.5/10

Invertigo: Cool concept of the opposite facing seats but sort of rougher than I expected and the line moved pathetically slow. 5/10

Firehawk: A decent Vekoma Flyer, not as good as Nighthawk but better than Batwing. I don't really appreciate the deafening lift. 7.25/10

Flight of Fear: I was expecting a much smoother ride. I enjoyed the whole "In the dark" thing. The launch was pretty fun, and I liked the corkscrew. The brake run at the end was brutal. 7.5/10

The Racer: Just an average out and back woodie. Rebel Yell is better, not sure about Thunder Road. 6.25/10

Vortex: This ride is not as bad as people make it out to be. I rode this three times in a row with a few of my friends without receiving a headache (Unlike most arrows). 7/10

Stunt Coaster: Cool little launch, decent theming. A decent family ride. 6/10

The Bat: Wow. Surprisingly fun and intense! Smoother than I expected too! Just a bit too short. I like how the theming and name pay homage to the old Bat. 7.5/10

Adventure Express: This ride was rougher than the average woodie. And the anti-climatic finish was....strange. Kind of disappointing. Just an average mine train. 5/10

Woodstock Express: Just a family coaster. Seat-belt came undone mid ride though. 4.25/10

Delirium: I like giant frisbees. Yay. 8/10

Windseeker: Just a windy swing. 7/10

Boo Blasters: The line moved fast. A nice relaxing ride. OMG THE AIR CONDITIONER 5/10 (5 for the AC)

Flying Ace Aerial Chase: Eghh. 3/10

Slingshot: Although this ride robbed me a ludicrous amount of cash, I still enjoyed the ride. 7.75/10

Surf Dog: The closest experience to surfing in the history of my life. OVER 9000/10

I never got to ride Drop Tower For some reason it was closed both days I was there.

Well that sums up my trip. I went from Kings Island to Cedar Point to Dorney. Heading up to Kings Dominion this August!

^ I'm surprised you didn't like Adventure Express. I like the lack of lift in the beginning of the ride. It gives a different experience.

I'm also surprised more people don't like FOF. I know it's not that great, but it's still pretty fun for me. I guess I'm just a fan of premier launched coasters that haven't been ruined by being turned backwards.

I could see KI going with another launched coaster as their next coaster addition, but I don't think we'll see if for at least three or four years.

^ I'm surprised you didn't like Adventure Express. I like the lack of lift in the beginning of the ride. It gives a different experience.

I'm also surprised more people don't like FOF. I know it's not that great, but it's still pretty fun for me. I guess I'm just a fan of premier launched coasters that haven't been ruined by being turned backwards.

I could see KI going with another launched coaster as their next coaster addition, but I don't think we'll see if for at least three or four years.

I like the drop out of the station. It was a pleasant surprise. However it was just really rough. The last lift was fun just because of all the animatronics but was anti climatic indeed.

I agree about Flight of Fear. It's kind of rough, but forceful and definitely enjoyable.

I don't understand the hype around Adventure Express. I didn't think it was particularly smooth and honestly the layout was kind of boring to me. Was it better than most Arrow mine trains? Yes. Was it as good as Thunderation at SDC? No.

I didn't think Flight of Fear was that great of a ride. I mean, the whole point of the show building is to be pitch black. But when you can see everything inside the building, then there is no point in having a building. Also, the MCBR ruins the entire second half.

I don't understand the hype around Adventure Express. I didn't think it was particularly smooth and honestly the layout was kind of boring to me. Was it better than most Arrow mine trains? Yes. Was it as good as Thunderation at SDC? No.

I didn't think Flight of Fear was that great of a ride. I mean, the whole point of the show building is to be pitch black. But when you can see everything inside the building, then there is no point in having a building. Also, the MCBR ruins the entire second half.

Yeah used to like Adventure Express but now it seems like its gotten so much jerkier than it used to be. Flight Of Fear used to be really good also, mainly enjoy the launch, not as bad towards the front compared to the back but its still a bit jerky and the MCBR does kinda screw up the rest of the ride, especially when they time it wrong and it happens later than its supposed to.

is the KD version better than the KI version of FoF?

Yes, I've ridden both FoF's this year and Kings Dominion's was significantly smoother. The MCBR on KD's FoF also didn't grab as hard as KI's