TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

^^^Do you remember what other kinds of beer they had besides Yuengling? Not a fan of Yuengling myself, but I also don't like light beer (Coors, Bud, Miller, etc)...do they still have the craft beers in the beer garden by the slingshot?

^^ Hey prozach, how were wait times looking? Like what was the shortest and longest times you encountered?

From what I could tell, most rides were at least in the half hour to forty-five minute waiting range. Nothing was ever walk on. It was worth the money for the Fast Lane premium passes, since we don't get a chance to come to this park that often.

Banshee was doing a great job at cycling trains. Almost every time a train hit the pretzel knot another train was being dispatched. It was impressive. The crew did a great job. Most times you literally didn't even get a chance to secure your restraint yourself, because the employees were hustling and would beat you to it.

Diamondback has also found its rhythm with its new seat belts. The ride operators clearly instructed everyone to get in their seat and buckle their seat belts without pulling down their restraints. The ride operators would announce loudly that we were on a forty-five second challenge.

^^^Do you remember what other kinds of beer they had besides Yuengling? Not a fan of Yuengling myself, but I also don't like light beer (Coors, Bud, Miller, etc)...do they still have the craft beers in the beer garden by the slingshot?

I saw Bud and Corona, but I don't specifically remember seeing Coors or Miller, but they were likely there. They also had Moerlein Brewery beers available and they were encouraging people to sample in the beer garden. We personally didn't try anything else. We've made a habit of drinking Yuengling when we travel east, since it's not available in Illinois/St. Louis. It's highly sought after in my area. Let me tell you that a night ride on Beast after several rounds of Yuengling made the ride pretty fast. lol

Another thing I forgot to mention is that this is the second time we felt that King's Island has a very pleasant crowd. We saw very few unpleasant people. I work as a police officer in a fairly rough neighborhood and my wife is a social worker. That being the case, the last thing we want to see when we go to a park are more of the same people we have to deal with on a daily basis. Not to say that I ever see any shootings or anyone slinging rocks at parks... but unruly people in general. The day I find someone ODing on heroin in a park bathroom is probably the day where I just stay home for the rest of my life.

...back on topic.. We're going to Dollywood in July. We had such a good return trip to KI that I'm honestly not looking forward to Dollywood nearly as much as I had been. Kings Island is just one more reason why we never hesitate to choose Cedar Fair. (especially over six flags)

^^ Thanks for the info, and about the better crowd, Mason (or specifically Kings Mill) is a pretty rich neighborhood, and Cincinnati doesn't really have much of a bad neighborhood anywhere. Sure there are some projects, but I think the locals and season pass holders really contribute to the nicer-looking crowd you encountered. I will say that while I was at Kentucky Kingdom, I experienced the complete opposite when I've visited Kentucky Kingdom under Six Flags in 08 and this season. The very definition of white trash was plastered before my eyes. Im not really sure why Louisville brings in a "different" crowd, but it does...

I also agree why many people enjoy Kings Island, despite its somewhat lacking lineup. The customer service is very good and the park feels very locally grown and loved. Sure they could use another big coaster to round out things, but like I said, it's very enjoyable nonetheless.

We're going to Dollywood in July. We had such a good return trip to KI that I'm honestly not looking forward to Dollywood nearly as much as I had been.

We were at Kings Island a few months ago and I agree with you. The park and guests were great. The crowd was very well behaved and the park is really very nice overall. Up that by about 100 and that's Dollywood. I have never in my life experienced a friendlier, happier theme park crowd and staff than I did at Dollywood and that includes Disney and Universal.

When we were at Dollywood for the Christmas event we were blown away by the people. Everyone went out of their way to talk to you and welcome you. At the end of the night when we got off the last train of the night on Wild Eagle the ride operator ran all the way down the stairs, down the long ramp and path, through the gift shop and out to the front of the shop because he thought we left our souvenir cup in the bin and he didn't want us to forget it. We thanked him and said it wasn't ours but he smiled and handed it to us and said "Well here's a free Dollywood cup then, thanks for coming!". I'll never forget that... those people are amazing. We were just about ready to leave New York and start a new life in the Smoky Mountains. lol

Since friendliness is such a big thing for you then you should absolutely be looking forward to Dollywood.

Mrs Peabody and I visited the park this past Monday and the crowds were pretty thin. We rode Banshee twice in a half hour and wanted to do more, as we still had an hour and a half on the locker rental (NO FANNY PACKS?!?!?!) but the green train shook Mrs Peabody up too much and did her in for the day. It had quite a rattle to it. Our first ride in the purple train was much better (2nd row).

I did notice the Yuengling in the Festhaus, but didn't partake as we went to Newport the following day and had lunch at the Hofbrauhaus after Mrs Peabody spent the morning communing with the penguins at the aquarium. I do love Yuengling, but nothing beats Hofbrau. I can't wait for the one in Cleveland to open so I can hit it on my way to Halloweekends in September and then visit the one in Pittsburgh in October for Phantom Fright Nights. Coasters and great beer, what more could one ask for?

Went for the night, 7-close and had a blast. Even on bring a friend for 15 dollar day, my friends rode Beast, Adventure Express, Diamondback, Racer, and then....Banshee 3 times in the last hour! We even got a fireworks ride in! It is pretty awesome at night with the lighting package. The more I ride it, the more I like it. Hit or miss on the vibrating. But front row is amaze.

Very Disappointed with Diamondback. Stacking constantly and the operators were assigning rows very poorly. They would not allow anyone to wait for the front seat. You had to get it by luck. I have never experienced this in 5 years. Even if you ask, you can have the front. My friends hadn't visited since 2009 and we were forced, with attitude that "NO, you're not going in row 1, you're GOING to ROW 4!" I was shocked. C'mon, if you're at least assigning rows and single riders, don't stack the trains. No excuse for the mean words or the long wait.

20140629_210412.thumb.jpg.0b0f1c97aae5fe7958051630c65c6e61.jpg

20140629_192030.thumb.jpg.d5c7edbfdc352ccdcaa2f2502da16193.jpg

. They would not allow anyone to wait for the front seat. You had to get it by luck. I have never experienced this in 5 years. Even if you ask, you can have the front. My friends hadn't visited since 2009 and we were forced, with attitude that "NO, you're not going in row 1, you're GOING to ROW 4!" I was shocked.

That's pretty annoying. They do this at Portaventura (one of the only parks I've been to where they do) and I find it quite frustrating as there doesn't seem to be a big difference in terms of dispatch times.

The groupers on Banshee leave empty rows and seats all the time. I wish they'd eventually just let people choose where they want to sit but I doubt that will ever happen since they still have a grouper on Diamondback for some reason. I see no reason for this stupid policy... people would be much happier if you let them sit where they want and rows would rarely go out empty.

Assigned seating is one of the most asinine and annoying policies I come across at parks. It almost never fails that when a park is operating a coaster in this fashion, they are still sending tons of empty seats and stacking trains. Just control the number of people you allow on the platform and people will naturally flow to empty rows.

I feel pretty strongly that after paying $X to get into a park and often waiting 30+ minutes they should let you pick where you want to experience a ride.

. They would not allow anyone to wait for the front seat. You had to get it by luck. I have never experienced this in 5 years. Even if you ask, you can have the front. My friends hadn't visited since 2009 and we were forced, with attitude that "NO, you're not going in row 1, you're GOING to ROW 4!" I was shocked.

That's pretty annoying. They do this at Portaventura (one of the only parks I've been to where they do) and I find it quite frustrating as there doesn't seem to be a big difference in terms of dispatch times.

This is m biggest argument against amusement parks. We paid X amount of dollars to get to the park, let us choose our seat. I like how they are trying to keep the station clear, but common I should get to choose my seat!!

Assigned seating is one of the most asinine and annoying policies I come across at parks. It almost never fails that when a park is operating a coaster in this fashion, they are still sending tons of empty seats and stacking trains. Just control the number of people you allow on the platform and people will naturally flow to empty rows.

I feel pretty strongly that after paying $X to get into a park and often waiting 30+ minutes they should let you pick where you want to experience a ride.

The only times I understand it are when a coaster has a tiny station. Thunderbolt at SFNE is a perfect example of this. If they didn't have a grouper a ton of rows would go out empty because nobody could squeeze past the people waiting for the front. I also understand it on flat rides, drop towers or rides that need to be balanced.

On coasters though unless the station is tiny it's totally unnecessary and annoying.

Diamondback is by far the most interesting ride that I havent ridden (at least to me). Half of the reviews I see for it say its smooth and has good airtime, then the other half say rattly and boring. Also, every other page on this thread seems to have a differing report on its efficiency (it seems like the ops are either flying or letting all trains stack). I wonder why the ride seems so indecisive lol, Ive never seen such consistently differing views on one roller coaster.

My guess is because it's a totally different ride depending on where you ride it. This is true of many coasters but especially Diamondback.

In the front the ride is very smooth and a pretty typical B&M hyper with mediocre airtime. In the back the ride has great airtime (for a B&M) but on the downside it's pretty bumpy... probably the bumpiest B&M I've ridden. I still don't consider it rough but it's not a smooth ride like most B&M's are.

Since they have a grouper you don't always have control over where you sit which is pretty annoying (though when we asked they always let us ride in the back) and makes this a bigger issue than it would be otherwise.

I get why everyone feels as though a lot of B&M hypers aren't intense, but I don't understand where the lack of airtime comments come from. Although you only get ejector in the back of the train, there is great floater air to be had throughout the entire train. I never realized until our last trip that my wife really didn't understand the concept of g forces and air time. To her, she just held on until the ride was finished. I talked her through the last couple rides on Diamondback and Banshee. I squeezed her hand when to expect the positive G's (infrequently on Diamondback) and opened my hand when to expect the negative g's. I made her put her hands up and stick her feet out, too. It totally changed her perspective of roller coasters. Diamondback was an easy teaching tool for this with its massive amount of gentle floating air.

(next time you have someone who isn't so into coasters, try to find a non geeky way to give them riding tips)

I never get off of a B&M hyper thinking that it's one of the best rides I've ever ridden. That being said, they are all solid coasters that leave me feeling good and wanting more. I always look forward to riding them and I've never had a bad experience on a B&M hyper. They may not deliver the top thrill, but they always deliver a good time. The GP loves them, including my wife who I have dragged on over 100 coasters. The B&M hypers are always her favorites in the parks we go to.

Diamondback is by far the most interesting ride that I havent ridden (at least to me). Half of the reviews I see for it say its smooth and has good airtime, then the other half say rattly and boring. Also, every other page on this thread seems to have a differing report on its efficiency (it seems like the ops are either flying or letting all trains stack). I wonder why the ride seems so indecisive lol, Ive never seen such consistently differing views on one roller coaster.

I know, when I rode it last year it was very smooth and had good airtime I don't know how it got so shaky

I know, when I rode it last year it was very smooth and had good airtime I don't know how it got so shaky

My guess is bad maintenance due to them building Banshee they got a little too busy and forgot to do some TLC on Diamondback.

At the park right now, will post full TR tomorrow but I can attest to Diamondback rattling this year. Ops are sluggish, assigned seating person won't allow front row request. Banshee is fantastic and clear favorite for me in the park. Flight of Fear closed all day so far. More to come...

Edited by Koasterking48

The groupers on Banshee leave empty rows and seats all the time. I wish they'd eventually just let people choose where they want to sit but I doubt that will ever happen since they still have a grouper on Diamondback for some reason. I see no reason for this stupid policy... people would be much happier if you let them sit where they want and rows would rarely go out empty.

Exactly. I think the best way to group is just to allow a certain amount of people into the station for one or two trains worth. This way everyone is happy and they can pick their rows. Intimidator at Carowinds was doing this last time I was there.