TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

I was never a huge Beast fan. I just didn't get it. Probably didn't help that I never went to KI growing up as CP was my home park. Fast forward 20 years. Last year was my first year with a Platinum pass. I had ridden The Beast once before this. Front of the train during the day. Thought it was good but really rough. Started to sit in the back car, first row and I started to come around on it. Then I rode it at night. The only coaster for me that even comes close is MF. Still The Beast is the best coaster at night IMO. I can totally understand if its not peoples fav. Hell, Gemini for me is my favorite coaster. I freaking love that ride, lol. It was my first big coaster and I still love everything about it. Great airtime in the back. The helix at the end. The near miss of the steel beam of death. Now, it's by far the best coaster but its my favorite so far. I'm guessing it's all of the memories that I have from it. Probably the same with The Beast.

Yeah, they (KI Brass) said that when the Beast was finally finished, they celebrated with drinks and took their first night ride. It didn't have trim on the second hill into the helix. When they returned from that trip they were scared white and vowed to add trims the next morning thinking "What have we created?". It's on a video somewhere. Maybe the "History of King's Island? "

I always imagine what it would be like untrimmed into the helix when i ride it. It bet it pushes 90 mph.

Man I would have liked to see a POV of that!

Here you go. 1979.

I keep hoping someone finds a video where the Beast runs at near it's full capacity. The 1979 video of the ride just barely making it around, weeks before it was broken in, is not a good comparison. That video pops up every single time the discussion of the Beasts speed comes up. Anyone who ever got a breakless or near breakless ride will know what I'm talking about. I had 2 or 3 of them in the 80s, and it definitely did scare the wits outta me. People will keep arguing though... until such a video pops up. I'm sure one exists on some worn out vhs somewhere.

When you see a clip where the back of the train passes the phonebooth on the 2nd lift, you have found that video.

The restraints are very comfortable. I only rode in outside seats, so my view was unobstructed. The view from the front row especially going over the first hill is amazing. I think I like the front row best. IMHO the back row had a consistent rattle. That may change as the ride breaks in over the summer.

Being a KI native, I understand the hoopla. It's kind of like an urban legend. It dwells in the woods where no one can see it. I like it for many reasons. The speed is crazy, but having ridden it for 20+ years I will say it has definitely been tamed. I can remember when it was sheer madness without trims just screaming through the woods. Is it the tallest? No. The fastest? No. But it's still a damn good ride. Night rides are amazing because there are zero lights out there, just darkness. But, the main factor I love is that it was built without computers. Think about it, back then everything was drawn and calculated by hand. And in that time, they were able to create this monster. That speaks volumes about the designers.

I'm with you 100%.

I can't imagine how much work went into just designing and engineering this monstrosity, not to mention the work to construct it.

Here you go. 1979.

I keep hoping someone finds a video where the Beast runs at near it's full capacity. The 1979 video of the ride just barely making it around, weeks before it was broken in, is not a good comparison. That video pops up every single time the discussion of the Beasts speed comes up. Anyone who ever got a breakless or near breakless ride will know what I'm talking about. I had 2 or 3 of them in the 80s, and it definitely did scare the wits outta me. People will keep arguing though... until such a video pops up. I'm sure one exists on some worn out vhs somewhere.

When you see a clip where the back of the train passes the phonebooth on the 2nd lift, you have found that video.

I love this video for the sheer fact that you won't see any like this anymore, it just shows how lax the the safety standards were back then. I mean theres people standing on the track and the ride wasn't even completely finshed, there were hand rails missing all over.

If you did this now OSHA would be all over you with fines.

I searched, but couldn't find anything. Do the new trains on Banshee have big boy seats? I'm guessing it's like the wing coaster, where there's a different colored belt. Just curious if anyone noticed last week.

ya they do, the fourth row in each train has longer seat belts.

Here you go. 1979.

Thanks. Actually, I do remember starting to watch this POV but as the speed wasn't great through the first half (and at that moment I was trying to find a really fast one) I didn't really see all of it so I had no idea it didn't have those trims here. Based on how little banking there was, I can only imagine the ridiculous laterals it produced!

I love this video for the sheer fact that you won't see any like this anymore, it just shows how lax the the safety standards were back then. I mean theres people standing on the track and the ride wasn't even completely finshed, there were hand rails missing all over.

I think this video was done during initial testing before it was ever opened to the public. The people walking around are probably park execs, construction workers and the designers seeing how it was running. It obviously is still "under construction" with it missing pieces like handrails. This may have been a video of one of the first ever complete course runs the Beast made as you can see how slow it is. Also, notice the double-helix isn't enclosed yet, the wood tunnel connecting the two concrete ones in the middle of the course isn't there and it barely makes it up the hill to the second lift hill. I would bet this maybe a video of one of the first 5 test runs of the coaster ever, if not the first ever complete circuit.

I think this video was done during initial testing before it was ever opened to the public. The people walking around are probably park execs, construction workers and the designers seeing how it was running. It obviously is still "under construction" with it missing pieces like handrails. This may have been a video of one of the first ever complete course runs the Beast made as you can see how slow it is. Also, notice the double-helix isn't enclosed yet, the wood tunnel connecting the two concrete ones in the middle of the course isn't there and it barely makes it up the hill to the second lift hill. I would bet this maybe a video of one of the first 5 test runs of the coaster ever, if not the first ever complete circuit.

Even if they are park execs, that wouldn't fly today.

Those are all restricted areas, when I worked there as a mechanic we could not be in any restricted area while the ride was in operation even when under construction , except for a few exceptions(ride stuck)

One thing I noticed at KI is there are a lot of remnants of past rides and attractions.

The crypt building, SOB station, OG Bat Footers, the old theater building at the far end of racer, and what looked to me like a former ride location next to the wind seeker bathroom.

One thing I noticed at KI is there are a lot of remnants of past rides and attractions.

The crypt building, SOB station, OG Bat Footers, the old theater building at the far end of racer, and what looked to me like a former ride location next to the wind seeker bathroom.

There are also still a few footers from the old King Cobra that survived the Banshee construction I believe.

90 mph is a huge stretch. Maybe 70 something close to 80. But 90? No.

It might be awesome, but that would ruin the track. Badly.

An object falling from 42 m, without friction or air resistance, can achieve a maximum speed of 64.96 mph before hitting the ground.

source: Physics

The old Theatre building is a Haunt as is SOB station. Inside of Flight of Fear's spaghetti bowl are King Cobras trains. There's also a field out behind the Racer where a lot of Cobra's track is. The ride location next to the bathrooms probably is the old Flight Commander que area. I always thought it was neat to try to find this stuff at other parks. Also, if you look in the Vortex station, you can see the cutouts above for where the Bat's track used to hang.