TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

^Yes. It was more like 30 to 40 minutes. Expected since they haven't worked all of the bugs out yet. Give it a month or two and breakdowns will be very rare. I'm wondering what was wrong with the brakes - they tested it when they thought the figured it out and it looked fine.

I assume although it functioned fine, the computer was faulting out when they ran it with people. Explains why they would test it, reopen, and as soon as a loaded train hit the brakes they cycled the people off and went back to work. Either way, after the 2nd delay it was back up and AFAIK did not have any other issues all day?

Side note:

The crews were so bad on opening day, IMO... Stacking like crazy. However, on Saturday it was MUCH improved and they were hitting close to interval (train clearing final block when train 2 was midway on lift and train 3 was unloading/loading). They won't get much better without stopping on the lift to wait for the final block to clear. They also had the GM in the station along with another higher-up and additional staffing which probably helped...

Well if they did, it would have to stop on the lift to await the final block to clear. So sure, it's probably possible but there really is no point. I doubt 38 seconds to fully unload and load the train, as well.

It seemed on Saturday, normal operation was when train 1 was in the in-line roll, train 2 would be dispatched. Train 3 would move into position and start unloading. They always stack one of the trains outside of the station, but the 3rd train still benefits capacity as it has an extra 20 seconds (guesstimate) or so to start unloading versus 2 trains if they run it well.

Unless an Opening Day crew consists of the vast majority of ride operators who worked the same ride in the previous season, it is outrageous to expect them to be incredibly efficient. It doesn't matter how many weeks of training or how many employee days there were to dress rehearse for Opening Day. The fact is, once you add in the general public who does not ride coasters as frequently as employees or enthusiasts, it's a whole different ballgame operating a coaster. It is an acquired skill to learn how to anticipate the unpredictable nature of the general public. I shouldn't forget to mention the pressure of having to manage a 5 hour line of testy guests who are all anxious for a free T-shirt. It changes how you approach to working a ride. You can't understand the feeling until you have felt it.

Yes, I got antsy watching The Beast of all coasters double-stacking, but in the end I bit my tongue because I had to realize it was Opening Day and likely the majority of those employees never worked The Beast before. After a few weeks of experience, we can discuss whether or not Kings Island has an efficiency problem. To be honest, I was very impressed with Kings Island's management of Opening Day. Almost every employee had a grasp on what they needed to do, and every single one of them was extremely friendly despite being overwhelmed by the crowds. To criticize them on Opening Day would be hypocritical to everything I have experienced and learned in my first days of being a Ride Operator.

And let's be real here folks, are there that many parks who can regularly avoid stacking when running full train capacity? Cedar Point might be one of the closest to achieving this, but last time I checked the majority of three train operation coasters will have a train briefly pause just outside of the station unless there is a "power hour" underway.

Unless an Opening Day crew consists of the vast majority of ride operators who worked the same ride in the previous season, it is outrageous to expect them to be incredibly efficient. It doesn't matter how many weeks of training or how many employee days there were to dress rehearse for Opening Day. The fact is, once you add in the general public who does not ride coasters as frequently as employees or enthusiasts, it's a whole different ballgame operating a coaster. It is an acquired skill to learn how to anticipate the unpredictable nature of the general public. I shouldn't forget to mention the pressure of having to manage a 5 hour line of testy guests who are all anxious for a free T-shirt. It changes how you approach to working a ride. You can't understand the feeling until you have felt it.

I'll argue with this point, I've seen plenty of opening day crews that were incredibly efficient and did their job just fine. Diamondback on opening day was fine, Wild Eagle opening day was fine, operating rides is all about attitude and effort more so than experience or skill.

Also, I didn't notice in any of the reports anywhere but did The Bat get a station re-theme in addition to the paint job? Seems like I remember hearing about the station being re-themed to haunted house or something to match the area with Banshee? That are is going to be full of life during Haunt nights.

Lets try this again...

Final Banshee Construction Time Lapse Video

Final Video:

Here are some interesting facts:

* I captured images for 261 days, 20 hours, 6 minutes and 58 seconds Or 8 months, 18 days, 20 hours, 6 minutes and 58 seconds

* I captured 365,758 images that took up a total of 31.7GB disk space

* I created 27.2GB worth of video

Here is another interesting link; the first image I captured and an image captured from the last day: http://imgur.com/gallery/tDCIM

Here is the POV of The Beast that we shot on Saturday morning. When we were done with it, and watching it in Don's office, he told me "This is the best footage of The Beast I have ever seen" and it's going to become their "official" POV video as well. I'm really pleased with it and even more happy with how well The Beast was running! I'll be honest, I've never been a huge fan of the ride before, but on this visit, WOW! And night rides... even more WOW!

Check it out...

Here is the POV of The Beast that we shot on Saturday morning. When we were done with it, and watching it in Don's office, he told me "This is the best footage of The Beast I have ever seen" and it's going to become their "official" POV video as well. I'm really pleased with it and even more happy with how well The Beast was running! I'll be honest, I've never been a huge fan of the ride before, but on this visit, WOW! And night rides... even more WOW!

Check it out...

Some of my best rides on Beast were all last season. After hearing how much work they have put into it for the second year in a row, I am going to have to get over to that side of the park and give it a ride. I have not been able to fully enjoy the park yet this season since I have started working there.

Also, this is an example of a slow ride on Beast. Watch for the stairs to the right side of the second lift at 4:20. Usually the first or second car of the train reaches that landing before the chain takes over.

Thanks for posting Robb. First off, The Beast is definitely an "accept it for what it is coaster." It doesn't have great airtime, it isn't very extreme, but its just freaking fun. It's like an out of control mine ride, as though you are Indiana Jones and the little Asian boy flying around in that cart! It's different, yet fun. And I have had the honor of being on the last train of the night as a "junior" on "senior" skip day!!! LOL Principal did find out, and I did get in trouble!

I also remember as a young child being too small to ride. This was the one ride where my parents both rode and my sister and I would walk across the trains and wait as they did so. I remember watching my parents on the train as they crested the first hill. I didn't know what happened after, but I remember being so excited as they came back to the station! It was magical to me and sis even before we were big enough to ride! This video just brought back many happy memories as a child and I thank you so much for it!

Edited by FaithPlus1

Also, this is an example of a slow ride on Beast. Watch for the stairs to the right side of the second lift at 4:20. Usually the first or second car of the train reaches that landing before the chain takes over.

Yeah, for sure. We had to run the train empty while the camera was on it so I'm sure that was the reason.

Yes, I got antsy watching The Beast of all coasters double-stacking, but in the end I bit my tongue because I had to realize it was Opening Day and likely the majority of those employees never worked The Beast before. After a few weeks of experience, we can discuss whether or not Kings Island has an efficiency problem. To be honest, I was very impressed with Kings Island's management of Opening Day. Almost every employee had a grasp on what they needed to do, and every single one of them was extremely friendly despite being overwhelmed by the crowds. To criticize them on Opening Day would be hypocritical to everything I have experienced and learned in my first days of being a Ride Operator.

And let's be real here folks, are there that many parks who can regularly avoid stacking when running full train capacity? Cedar Point might be one of the closest to achieving this, but last time I checked the majority of three train operation coasters will have a train briefly pause just outside of the station unless there is a "power hour" underway.

Having worked in Ride Operations in a Management Position, I whole heartedly disagree. I've seen Brand New Ride Ops learn to Operate a Brand New Ride in an Hour and it's all about Training. From what others have Stated, the Opening Day Crew for Banshee was inadequately trained and deserve the critisism. If mediocrity is acceptable, then you are in the wrong business.