TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Very encouraging to hear that this isn't an overpriced inverted scenic railway. Pretty excited for this, along with KK and GAm's 2014 additions. Hopefully Lightning Run and Goliath are done soon so I can squeeze in a triangle trip before the oppressive weather of Cincinnati/Louisville and summer crowds set in.

Great rides today at Kings Island on Banshee. It is forceful exactly where it should be before the Zero-G roll and insanely forceful after it. The slow motion roll before the helix into the brakes is FANTASTIC! It is very rare you see a coaster that uses most of its momentum before you slam into the brake run at the station but on this coaster you don't come flying into the brakes. Most of the force is already gone at that point. Hat's off to B&M for such great use landscape to squeeze out almost every last drop of inertia.

I keep reading in the comments about how smooth everyone thought Banshee was. I don't understand what they are talking about. This ride jackhammers at the base of every hill and inversion as bad as Alpengeist does and it just opened today. I rode this coaster on inside seats, outside seats and in every row except the front and no matter where I sat it rattled and shook as if it was 10 years old! I loved riding Banshee repeatedly today but it most certainly is not smooth, and this comment about smooth is coming from a guy who likes traditional wooden coaster and being beat to death on them. I loved every bump and rattle Banshee delivered and would gladly be back on riding right now if I could be.

How about The Bat? (Still need to get used to this name) is it getting smoother? Did the trains get significant improvements?

What in the world is rough about an Arrow suspended coaster. The Bat. Top Gun, Flight Deck or whatever you want to call it has always been smooth and still is. What improvements could make it better, a Jello filled seat, perhaps strawberry flavor? The only thing that ride needs is a longer track and it has needed that since the day it was built.

Good to hear that the media event went well and that Banshee is a return to form for B&M. I'm looking forward to riding it this July on the Mini New Hotness Trip (along with the now smoother Beast).

While the whole ride was great I was especially surprised by the first drop and the final in-line twist. It is only my fourth B&M invert (Raptor and the Dragon's Challenge combo being the other three) but it is my favorite of the group for sure. So glad to have another stand out ride in my home park. BIG BIG thank you to everyone at KI that put today's events together! Action Zone as a whole looks absolutely incredible compared to last year!

On a separate note, the themeing put into this ride gives my hope for other CF rides going forward. I'm particularly intrigued to see how Wonder Mountain turns out at Canada's Wonderland turns out now.

Of course my comment is an opinion and what is rough to one is smooth to someone else. I did not make it down to Kings Island last year but the last time I rode Diamond Back (the year before) it was still a magic carpet ride. I personally equate jack hammering to any downward force vibration that happens on any kind of coaster at the base of hills or inversions. There is crazy insane over the top jack hammering and then there is the much more gentile kind. In the case of Banshee it is the latter of the two. Not uncomfortable in any way but most certainly there and not something usually felt on a brand new B&M coaster of any type. Makes me wonder if it will only get worse over time or get better once the track and wheels get worn in.

I will enjoy riding this coaster regardless of any issues, just like I do Vortex, FOF, The Bat, and so on. They are ALL fun and great rides.

^^I agree 100% on both of your comments. I was suprised at the "jack hammering". Row 7 and 8 had most of it while mid train wasn't so bad. If this is day one it could be interesting in October. I think DiamondBack has a lot less jack hammering but we all have our opinion. Opinions are like a$$holes, we all have one but they all stink.

PS Is anybody else having trouble with spell check saying a bunch of words are misspelled but actually spelled correctly?

Glad to hear that the Beast is running great again, I'm slightly less in favor of having Rocky Mountain transform it into something crazy now……. (but seriously how insane would that thing be with a RMC make over?)

I can't imagine that not being the world's best coaster. Buuut I think nostalgia makes that coaster invincible. Luddites....

I actually would not like to see Beast transformed by RMC. It kind of ruins the concept of wooden coasters. I'm all for building RMCs from the ground up or refurbishing a terrible coaster, but touching Beast just doesn't seem right. It's almost like using full topper on the Coney Island Cyclone. It's not right.

I actually would not like to see Beast transformed by RMC. It kind of ruins the concept of wooden coasters. I'm all for building RMCs from the ground up or refurbishing a terrible coaster, but touching Beast just doesn't seem right. It's almost like using full topper on the Coney Island Cyclone. It's not right.

If RMC topper tracked the Beast. It would be boring. The Beast has no real camelbacks so it would just be a smooth scenic railway. I'm fine with them retracking the helix.

About the magnetic adjustable trim...

First,

Our engineering senior design project was a year worth of work researching, designing, building and testing a passive eddy current brake test rig (type used on all coasters). Non-ferromagnetic fins and very strong fixed magnets create a brake force when the magnetic field is interrupted causing eddy currents (which create heat). By "adjustable", the air gap just needs to widened or reduced based on the train speed (wider the air gap is, less brake force). If far enough apart, you would have minimal brake effect on the train. These systems are completely dependent on the materials, speed and the air gap (spacing of the N/S magnetic area that the fin will run through).

So basically all B&M had to do is design a way for the pneumatic system to widen the air gap. Done. Adjustable magnetic brake.

Secondly, I tried to feel any hint what so ever of braking while riding and never did. I would say they were completely off.

I have ridden the Beast on two separate visits; once when I was real young (like 9 years old) and once again last summer. It was incredibly smooth last summer, objectively smoother than it was when I was young because it destroyed my dad's neck. But it also felt incredibly slow, especially at the end of the tunnel and the following part of the ride up until the helix. I realize they can't let it operate untrimmed because it would destroy the track and probably mean more upkeep for the park. 10 years ago, did The Beast run THAT much more intense from a speed standpoint (it was definitely rougher).

If RMC topper tracked the Beast. It would be boring. The Beast has no real camelbacks so it would just be a smooth scenic railway. I'm fine with them retracking the helix.

But just imagine if they added camelbacks, like a LOT of them, and maybe a few of those crazy headlines and over banks like on Outlaw Run……..… (and then managed to add in a few extra hundred feet of track to make it the longest roller coaster in the world again, wood or steel! new records, YAY!)

Edited by Hilltopper39

Glad to hear Banshee is generally well liked. I find it kind of funny that this ride ended up the opposite of GateKeeper (GateKeeper had lots of excitement but became a letdown while Banshee seems to have had a lot of negativity and become a hit). I can't wait to ride this summer during the TPR Mini New Hotness trip.