TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

I think people are just hopeful. Physics dictate there will be lots of force, at the bottom of the first drop, at the bottom of the batwing, etc. No mystery there. I think what people really mean is will this be the start of the next generation of "good" inverts, or will it be a bit of a snooze. There's lots that goes into a good coaster besides raw force. I think one of the big things that separates old inverts from new is how fast the force sets in (a result of the "snap" that sometimes gets mentioned). We can see that the shaping of the inversions on Banshee has much more in common with their newer designs than their older, I don't think that's in dispute. So no real mystery there either. Questions of pacing and sense of speed and overall "intensity" can only be known for sure when we ride it I think, since those are much more subtle issues. Look at the layout and judge for yourself how you think it'll ride, but hope will always reign supreme. Given the amount of hype it's gotten, even if it sucks I'm sure people will have no end of excuses for it, kind of like Gatekeeper.

I definitely believe Banshee will have some forces. It will be much more graceful than the other, older "snappy" inverts, but I can very safely predict it will have decent positive forces. Even Silver Bullet does. The bottom of Silver Bullet's drop, bottom of the cobra roll, and the final helix all have nice forces. However, it is more graceful.

Will Banshee be a whippy snappy OMG WHAT JUST HAPPENED old school invert? No way. Will it provide decent positive forces on the ride? Very likely.

^Agreed. You know it's not going to be crawling through those inversions like B&M's worst offenders (Hydra), so I really doubt there's any way it'll be *terrible*.

I was looking at pictures of the track, trying to figure out what makes it so gosh-darn beautiful. It has that modern coaster thing of there being no straight lines whatsoever. The track is constantly curving in one direction or the other. The other thing though, and I have no way of proving this, is that it looks to me like the rotation of the track starts a lot sooner than on even some of their most recent coasters. If you look at that last picture posted, where you can see the base of the dive loop, for instance, you can see the track starts rotating almost immediately as it begins ascending. Any rotation takes place over a much longer stretch of track. Not only is the track constantly turning in some direction, it's pretty much constantly rotating as well. I don't know if this will affect the ride's "intensity", but what you can count on is there will be absolutely no abrupt changes in direction of any kind. Basically I think we might be looking at the smoothest roller coaster ever built.

Edited by Dr. M

^Agreed. You know it's not going to be crawling through those inversions like B&M's worst offenders (Hydra), so I really doubt there's any way it'll be *terrible*.

I was looking at pictures of the track, trying to figure out what makes it so gosh-darn beautiful. It has that modern coaster thing of there being no straight lines whatsoever. The track is constantly curving in one direction or the other. The other thing though, and I have no way of proving this, is that it looks to me like the rotation of the track starts a lot sooner than on even some of their most recent coasters. If you look at that last picture posted, where you can see the base of the dive loop, for instance, you can see the track starts rotating almost immediately as it begins ascending. Any rotation takes place over a much longer stretch of track. Not only is the track constantly turning in some direction, it's pretty much constantly rotating as well. I don't know if this will affect the ride's "intensity", but what you can count on is there will be absolutely no abrupt changes in direction of any kind. Basically I think we might be looking at the smoothest roller coaster ever built.

Hydra had amazing pacing when I rode it a couple summers ago so I don't know what your talking about..

People comparing banshee to alpengeist should realise the fact that they are designed very differently. As you said, banshee has constant rotation and curvature in the layout. Alpengeist has long speedy floaty sections of track immediately followed by powerful rotations, changes in direction, and force. This is what makes alpengeist one of the best coasters I think B&M ever made, because it's moments of sheer intensity are in stark contrast to the sensation of speed and flying felt between them.

In a similar way, dueling dragons needed sections of track that served the purpose of navigating between the elements that interact, and provide a contrast in force. The last corkscrew on fire comes right after a straight section and it catches me off guard every time and feels very forceful. Even Hydra had this type of effect to a certain degree. It's unfortunate that b&m seems to have lost this quality in their rides. They are always repetitive throughout the ride constantly doing something that is similar to what it just did with no moments of surprise..

Hydra had amazing pacing when I rode it a couple summers ago so I don't know what your talking about..

Were you on some kind of medication at the time? I've been riding it every year since it opened and it's consistently been the slowest, laziest looping coaster I've ever ridden. Ok, besides Joker's Jynx (after the first cobra roll). The layout isn't really what I have a problem with, but it needs to be on a coaster with a lift that's at least thirty feet taller.

Basically I think we might be looking at the smoothest roller coaster ever built.

OzIris would like a word with you. Same thing you're talking about with Banshee, but it is slow, forceless, and rough. OzIris blows.

Basically I think we might be looking at the smoothest roller coaster ever built.

OzIris would like a word with you. Same thing you're talking about with Banshee, but it is slow, forceless, and rough. OzIris blows.

Well, I guess smoothest as far as pure track design is concerned. I'm no expert, but I'm under the impression that sudden changes in rotation is part of what makes Vekoma designs rougher than B&Ms, or something like that. Something to do with the transitions. Anyway hopefully these new trains will have fixed that old "B&M rattle" problem.

^Abrupt changes of direction may affect roughness but there are still some rides that manage to have those while being smooth, such as BTR at SFGAdv which I rode last year and was silky smooth despite all those snappy parts such as the corkscrews.

^Look, ten thousand people could come on here all telling me they think Hydra is a great coaster, I wouldn't believe any of them.

Better context then - Talon. Talon is really great. It's incredibly smooth, it has great pacing and it's re-rideable. My favorite coasters are airtime machines, but all of the other coasters that I really like are ones that I can just sit in the seat and have a great time riding over and over again.

^Look, ten thousand people could come on here all telling me they think Hydra is a great coaster, I wouldn't believe any of them.

I personally think it is a fun ride. I love the "jojo roll" and first drop in the back. It isn't very forceful, but isn't 100% forceless either, and is unique either way.