TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Banshee Trains will be arriving next week!

Well, I do like the flyer / wing rider restraints...on flyers and wing riders. They're quite comfy, but there's also the issue some people ::cough::craig::cough:: have with those restraints tightening throughout the ride and becoming uncomfortable. I've never had an issue, though. It'll be interesting to see how they work out on an invert.

Once the fixed the locking vests on Gatekeeper, it went from a fun ride to incredible... Nothing like riding front seat on GK at night, falling into that vest leaning forward throughout the course. Simply incredible.

Made a big difference! Along with running much faster from what it did at media day and the beginning of the season.

Once the fixed the locking vests on Gatekeeper, it went from a fun ride to incredible... Nothing like riding front seat on GK at night, falling into that vest leaning forward throughout the course. Simply incredible.

Made a big difference! Along with running much faster from what it did at media day and the beginning of the season.

I wonder how many of the people who mention this read what was posted in the "weird facts" thread:

Wing Coaster Real Fact: Cedar Point used zip ties to modify the shoulder vests to prevent them from locking. If you found some vests still locked in random places, usually that meant a zip tie broke off at some point that day. A more permanent fix is in the works for 2014.

It's not like B&M came in and turned a key and magically fixed the vests, CP totally just jury rigged it. Not saying a real fix won't come, just saying that until it does, people have the right to be concerned, especially if this problem has been reported on wing coasters other than GateKeeper. One can assume KI will not be using zip ties.

^But that's one of the exceptions I mentioned as the length of its brake run allows it to run 3 trains. I know Banshee will also have a long one. So is that what will allow for 3 trains to be running?

^Do their vests on flying coaster work the same way? I know the restraints themselves aren't hydraulic like on wing coasters but do the vests have a similar locking system? The difference being that on the flying ones it really must be properly tight.

I'm not really sure what the point was of locking the vests in the first place when B&M was designing the restraints. It's not like Gatekeeper is now unsafe now that the vests don't tighten anymore. They probably thought of it as a safety precaution or something...

Terrible idea (vest lock). The more freedom the better.

Tightening vests can also be a comfort and possible safety issue if guests get stuck on the lift or break run due to technical difficulties. When my lap bar tightened on Green Lantern (I know it's not a B&M), the thought of the ride breaking down before I could be unloaded made me anxious. I'm a fit guy and it felt like the ride was trying to amputate my legs. I'd imagine it might be worse for heavier guests.

^Do their vests on flying coaster work the same way? I know the restraints themselves aren't hydraulic like on wing coasters but do the vests have a similar locking system? The difference being that on the flying ones it really must be properly tight.

Actually Wing Rider's restraints aren't locked by hydraulic devices. It works similar to the lap bars on Vekoma Flying Dutchman.

I think as long as the vests don't lock, it could be a super comfortable ride. Unlocked vest harness can also reduce the forward force during the brake run and some inversions. Imagine your shoulder hit into the metal bar in front of you. Ouch. I think the Gerstlauer Sky Flyer at Nickelodeon Universe has this type of restraint but it's a flat ride and it's forward force is very little.

I remember the restraints tightening on wild eagle, and it really added to the discomfort. If the restraints tighten, then the trains might not be a big hit with the GP. They might wish for the old ones back. Hopefully though, they will do the opposite and beg that every B&M invert has these trains.

I've never had any issues with tightening restraints on Gatekeeper or Wild Eagle. We rode Gatekeeper on Labor Day weekend so that issue was fixed, but as far as I know it's still an issue on Wild Eagle right? If the restraints did tighten I didn't notice, I found both coasters to be incredibly comfortable.

I remember the restraints tightening on wild eagle, and it really added to the discomfort. If the restraints tighten, then the trains might not be a big hit with the GP. They might wish for the old ones back. Hopefully though, they will do the opposite and beg that every B&M invert has these trains.

I don't have the source off hand, but the park has mentioned that the restraints will have the modification that Gatekeepers restraints had in the 2nd half of the season; So there shouldn't be any tightening.

I don't have the source off hand, but the park has mentioned that the restraints will have the modification that Gatekeepers restraints had in the 2nd half of the season; So there shouldn't be any tightening.

I really wish people would read the forum better. The same stuff just gets said over and over. Do you think KI will be using zip ties?