TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

^That's what would make the most sense anyway, since I'm pretty sure this statement:

The park creates the ideas, the company makes it happen.

is about 80% untrue. The ride manufacturer develops a product, the park buys it. It's unlikely the new restraints were KI's idea since they're not in the business of designing roller coasters, B&M is.

I would argue that the park does create the ideas. If coaster manufacturers were like, "here's the ride that we're going to build for you, deal with it", they wouldn't be selling any rides. Kings Island wanted certain things out of Banshee, and I bet my box of fruit snacks that Kings Island wouldn't have signed the contract if their requests hadn't been met by B&M.

Another thing, if the park didn't create the ideas, why do rides like Big Grizzly Mountain or Expedition Everest exist? Yes, they are Disney attractions so you sort of expect that, but ride design is ALWAYS a collaboration between park and manufacturer. I can't think of any exceptions.

EDIT: Black Mamba and Nemesis are also two really great examples.

Unfortunately, don't think we'll see these new style of trains being retrofitted on the old B&M inverts, mainly because of clearance. Adding what could very well be a good 2 feet in width to the trains would cause a few clearances, mainly on lifts.

I agree with you wholeheartedly.

From what I deducted from many conversations with coaster manufacturers this fall, the exacts of a coaster layout are not usually specified by a park. There are a few exceptions with places like Disney and related parks. However, according to most manufacturers, most amusement parks specify the kind of ride they want and give the manufacturer a parcel of land to work with. Sometimes a park will be particular about things such as lift position, transfer sections, and ride entrance position but the general consensus is that a coaster's layout is in the minds of the engineers and based on budget allowed. As for the trains, I'm pretty sure B&M gave KI the proposal for the new design and KI approved (honestly who wouldn't in this case).

Yeah, the new trains aren't specifically a product just for Kings Island and as such it is likely that B&M designed these new trains prior to Banshee and Banshee just happens to be the first inverted coaster they've sold since the new train design was finished.

I'd love to sit in on design meetings with amusement parks. I'm an architect and can imagine there are a lot of similarities depending on the client. Some clients have a list of things they want incorporated and you do your best to create a product that satisfies these wishes. Some clients come in knowing they want a house and how much money they have to spend but beyond that it is up to us completely. I'd imagine theme parks such as Disney and Universal obviously work extremely close with manufacturers since they have their own concepts they need to be implemented whereas a park like Kings Island might just know they want a big inverted coaster but don't have any specifics beyond that.

I would assume it totally depends on the park. KI would not be nearly as intimately involved in the design of a ride as Disney would be.

For the record, even if they're "fixed" (which I'll believe it once the ride is open, not before) I'm not sold on the idea of these restraints as a concept. I much prefer Intamin's design on rides like Storm Runner, where the OTSR basically don't touch your body at all, to a big heavy vest that covers most of your abdomen. Why is that even necessary? I assumed on the wing coasters it was to make riders feel secure during the wing over drop, but on this ride it just seems excessive.

Hello

I am on my first solo mini coaster tour of Ohio in May...Kings Island and Cedar Point, and I have just realised that there is an ACE event on at Kings Island the same day I am there (Sunday May 18).... just wonder if anyone has an guess of how many people this would add to the park, and maybe should I revisit my schedule if the numbers (or people) will be insane?

(and any tips on the best route from Kings Island to Cedar Point)..... I have used google maps, but would love some local knowledge...

thinking about either a side trip to the ohio state prison.... or neil armstrong musuem (I realise I can only do one)....

Hello

I am on my first solo mini coaster tour of Ohio in May...Kings Island and Cedar Point, and I have just realised that there is an ACE event on at Kings Island the same day I am there (Sunday May 18).... just wonder if anyone has an guess of how many people this would add to the park, and maybe should I revisit my schedule if the numbers (or people) will be insane?

(and any tips on the best route from Kings Island to Cedar Point)..... I have used google maps, but would love some local knowledge...

thinking about either a side trip to the ohio state prison.... or neil armstrong musuem (I realise I can only do one)....

Honestly, there really is no easy way to get from KI to CP, you can take 75 north to Toledo-area, then cut east and find Route 2 somewhere.....or you can take 71 to Cleveland area, to turnpike to Sandusky area. You could stop at a prison, but would be hard to tour it or anything because of regulations. Neil Armstrong museum is decent, but if you want something cool, take 75 north to Dayton and go to the Air Force Museum, very cool history there. Then you can go up 75 and head to CP.

71 north to the Columbus outer-belt 270 west to 23 north to 98 (waldo exit). You will take 98 into Bucyrus where you will essentially keep going North but you want to make sure you take route 4 north. Take this into Sandusky and follow the Cedar Point signs.

Have Fun!

I hear a lot of people commenting on the "smaller" loop. Does anyone know if this is fact? Looking at the pictures, they both look relatively similar in size. Is one loop in fact larger than the other?

Can someone in tha know actually comment on this?

This was my thought exactly. The max speed isn't even achieved until later in the ride. I'd think it would be the same size, if not bigger than the first.

I hear a lot of people commenting on the "smaller" loop. Does anyone know if this is fact? Looking at the pictures, they both look relatively similar in size. Is one loop in fact larger than the other?

Can someone in tha know actually comment on this?

Are you feeling okay? You missed the easiest "that's what she said" joke in weeks. You're slipping...