TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Sorry, I'm like five days behind it seems

That was a typo, I can assure you I know the difference between positive and negative Gs. To me the variations in intensity feel short and fast, though you are pulling some amount pretty much the whole time. I can't remember any moment on an invert that feels like a long single moment of positive Gs like Nitro's death helix.

No problem. I thought it was, but the fact that no one else caught it made me want to correct it just to make sure it doesn't confuse people in the future.

I guess it depends on what you consider high I guess on the variations. I think that it is the change in intensity that makes you remember the extreme moments more, but that you really do have quite a lot of sustained Gs on inverts. When I get off certain old inverts, my legs tingle. I haven't had that experience on any B&M hyper, and you sit in more or less the same configuration for that.

What makes you say the general public doesn't want that? Have any of the Batman clones been closed down due to declining ridership?

I've been lucky enough to be in a position where I got to talk with a lot of people about this sort of thing, and the more intense the ride experience is, the more likely you are to hear people say that they won't ride it because it's too intense. By toning the intensity down, you're widening the net of who will ride it.

As for your question of any Batman clones being closed down, that's sort of silly as ridership has to do with capacity, and they are still running at capacity as are most major rides at Six Flags parks, however if you did a line wait study of the average wait to go on those particular rides, they are definitely not as popular as they once were. From what I have seen, the "forceless" B&M rides have had a much less measured drop off so far. We'll see if that stays, but it is interesting none the less and something that parks do examine.

Hey Kings Island Fans,

Are you like me and my family? We have all the toys and gifts we can use. So instead of exchanging expensive presents, we give each other a small gift and make a donation to charity.

I have a great one for you. The Greater Cincinnati chapter of A Kid Again.

Please click here for more information and to donate.

My reward is to be among the first night riders on Banshee.

Thanks everyone.

^I hate Batman Clones. Way to jerky and and the tight transitions make for a raging headache. I don't get the love for these clones at all. I won't ride them at any park, even if there is no line. I think SOB gave a smoother ride.

I love the Batman rides and think they are some of the finest rides ever built. I don't get a headache from their intensity, but I can see how someone can. In the way of inverts, I think that they are the best ones ever made, with Montu being about the same but only when it was unbraked through the midcourse.

Having said that, I also fully understand the business of theme parks, and having rides that incredibly intense is not what your average thrill seeker is looking for. And, as I get older, I'm finding my tummy can handle it less and less.

Put me on a B&M Wing Rider and I can ride all day. Put me on Batman, and while I will tell you it's a ride that I like far more than X Flight, I can't ride it more than once or twice at a time.

I'm actually really excited for Banshee though. I'm very tempted to go back to King's Island to ride it again next year. Even if it's "forceless", having GIANT elements like that in an inverted coaster seems very unique, and I think it will be quite a rush.

^^ When I participated in the travel channel film shoot at SFFT we had to marathon Goliath (the parks Batman Clone) and it was the only ride where we had to take multiple breaks. People were getting nauseous and getting headaches and were sprawled out on the station floor trying to recover. In the end only about 20 of us made it all the way through on that particular coaster shoot. The clones are pretty forceful, I enjoy them. I usually am only able to ride a couple of times, then I'll come back.

Also, in that last screenshot from the webcam I believe you can see some orange track from the bat repainting in the top left corner. Try to look past the awesome looking B&M invert.

I apologize If I missed this earlier, but...

Have we seen anything about a lighting package for the ride yet? I'm sure we will see some night time fog machines in the area (especially with the Bat as well) but I wonder what we will be able to see at night! I hope we have some interesting lift lighting like Goliath at SFMM!

^^ When I participated in the travel channel film shoot at SFFT we had to marathon Goliath (the parks Batman Clone) and it was the only ride where we had to take multiple breaks. People were getting nauseous and getting headaches and were sprawled out on the station floor trying to recover. In the end only about 20 of us made it all the way through on that particular coaster shoot. The clones are pretty forceful, I enjoy them. I usually am only able to ride a couple of times, then I'll come back.

Haha! I know people that were on a coaster shoot where the park had hired four models to sit in the front of the ride for pictures and then filled up the rest of the train with ride operators, and after about five times around the course the models started getting sick. Because the park was paying for them, and apparently this was pre-arranged, they would receive barf bags in the station, puke, and then immediately go out for another ride. None of the ride operators puked, but were poking fun of the models throughout the entire thing.

Whatever the park paid those models, it was NOT enough.

Just some more speculation, but how do you think the new Wing Coaster type restraints on Banshee will affect the floatiness achieved in the zero-g roll? That is usually my favorite part of riding any invert, and it looks like it will pretty much be eliminated by how securely these restraints are designed to keep you in your seat.

Thoughts?

Due to high winds, not much progress today. Only 1.5 supports installed today. It was an oddly shaped support that has three legs support that actually supports 2 pieces of track. As always, link to full gallery in my signature.

Edited by DavidW

Just some more speculation, but how do you think the new Wing Coaster type restraints on Banshee will affect the floatiness achieved in the zero-g roll? That is usually my favorite part of riding any invert, and it looks like it will pretty much be eliminated by how securely these restraints are designed to keep you in your seat.

Thoughts?

I think it will have a nasty effect. That's why most of us have been complaining about the restraints (because, in my case, I don't have any problems with the tightening). When I rode gatekeeper I knew the big airtime hill was providing some floater air as my arms would go up without me doing anything, still I couldn't feel a thing, for real! If we were talking about ejector air, then you would still feel it, but when it comes to floater all the fun lies in lifting slightly out of your seat (which is what happens with the older restraints). So, considering this is a zero-g and, therefore, is supposed to provide weightlessness and not actual negative Gs I'm guessing the feeling will be kind of neutralized, but then we will have to wait for the opening.

Hopefully the vests in the restraints won't tighten. After Labor Day, all of GateKeeper's vests were fixed to where they wouldn't tighten and the ride made a drastic and noticeable improvement. I hope Kings Island will opt for the non-tightening vest restraints.

Kings Island has stated several times that the restraints tightening will not be an issue.