TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Cold and snow doesn’t slow down construction of Banshee roller coaster

MASON, Ohio – Construction of the world’s longest inverted roller coaster, “Banshee,” continues to move forward in the snow and cold at Kings Island. Work crews have completed the following track elements on Banshee: lift hill, curved drop, dive loop, loop interacting with the lift and zero-G-roll. The construction of the ride’s station is also underway. Riders on Banshee will scream their way through 4,124 feet of track and seven inversions at speeds up to 68 mph when the $24 million ride debuts in April 2014.

unnamed_0.jpg

Kings Island / Courtesy

My favorite aspect of this picture is how you can tell the terrain drops off in the background. That'll look really cool once track construction resumes!

Isn't it obvious that the color scheme on concept art won't be exactly the same on the real coaster? Banshee looks really good in both the renderings and the finished product, so I don't mind.

EDIT:

Banshee looks really nice in the live view right now:

banshee.png.f35bf555b4d88a4e0fd16c8de277efdf.png

My favorite aspect of this picture is how you can tell the terrain drops off in the background. That'll look really cool once track construction resumes!

Take a look at B&MBoy1982's pic to see how the terrain really drops though. The Zero-G roll would be off to the right and the "pretzel" element will be down to the left. That thing is going to be screaming down that hill, and that should be where it hits top speed, should give tons of force to the "pretzel."

531989_10201345660505652_1855345343_n.jpg.73fce79cceb3b40108a2b8f292154f37.jpg

Credit to B&MBoy1982

I really hope Banshee puts B&M back on my list. I want to be excited for this coaster because it looks great so far and also I really like KI but it still tough for me. Honestly, the more I see this coaster construction, I am just so thankful its not a wing coaster.

Also, I really want to buy this shirt when I ride the Bat

the-bat-kings-island-roller-coaster.thumb.jpg.17477b4767732e1c7073fc786debba38.jpg

Maybe, just maybe better than Raptor. After seeing how Oz'Iris was a let down I'm Skeptical.

I think this will be up there, but will not overthrow Montu as my favorite invert.

I'm really looking forward to Banshee, and I know its going to be great, but I've got a feeling it wont bump Raptor on most enthusiasts lists. Of course I could be wrong, but it seems a lot of people hold Raptor in high regards. It has been so long since I have rode it that I don't remember much about it, but it seems to be quite popular in our community. We shall see though....

^ You and me both... that's what I said when they planned this ride without the standard inverted trains like all our favorites (Raptor, Montu, etc) - We will have gatekeeper seats here so... fingers crossed they work and the banked drop plus the loop and other inversions keep the pacing up. Death to the MCBRs here.

It certainly looks like Banshee is going to be more forceful than it's green brother to the North. I love the look of that steep first drop and some of those quick transitions into the inversions!

Are you talking about Raptor? Good lord, this is not going to be as forceful as Raptor. I mean come on! Quick transitions? Where? Those are some of the smoothest, most drawn-out transitions you'll find anywhere! Look at Gatekeeper, then look at this, then tell me how this looks more forceful.

Ok, we need to get something straight here. As far as I can tell, the only three points on this where the rider may pull significant Gs are the loop, the batwing, and the helix. But given the size of the inversions, those will be prolonged periods of high force, spaced far apart. The reason why Batman and Raptor feel "intense" is because of the short periods of high negative Gs that accompany every single element, coming at you quickly one after another, meaning you don't have time to anticipate every single one. A couple moments of force won't save Banshee because force isn't the only thing that makes a ride good, it's about pacing. Now, take the seven inversions on Montu and stretch it out over another two hundred feet of track, and do you think the pacing gets faster, more exciting?

Yes I'm only judging from a rendered POV and off ride shots, but I have some experience guessing what a ride will be like from videos, I'm pretty sure we ALL do, and IMO those that look at that rendering and think they see a fast-paced exciting ride are fooling themselves.

(I will say how B&M builds rides now LOOKS beautiful, I believe someone compared it to calligraphy, and I agree. But that just reinforces how what we're getting is not like the inverts of yore, it is to be a closely controlled experience, with B&M dictating just how much force you do or do not receive. They could make it "feel" out of control if they wanted, but prior experience tells us that's not their current business model.)

It certainly looks like Banshee is going to be more forceful than it's green brother to the North. I love the look of that steep first drop and some of those quick transitions into the inversions!

I highly doubt it. I want to believe it but I highly doubt it since B&M seems to be moving away from forceful coasters. I guess we'll find out soon enough though.

Just wait and see. The actual coaster can be a lot different from it in the commercial/stimulator. Remember how people think SkyRush would be a rather relaxing and family oriented ride when it first announced?

Oooooooo! I want a commercial stimulator. Depending on your partner, and the way you like it, it could be very forceful.

Just wait and see. The actual coaster can be a lot different from it in the commercial/stimulator. Remember how people think SkyRush would be a rather relaxing and family oriented ride when it first announced?

Oooooooo! I want a commercial stimulator. Depending on your partner, and the way you like it, it could be very forceful.

I LOL'd.

Am I the only one who's imagined a coaster with vibrators in the seats that changed intensity depending on the speed of the ride? With the tallest, fastest drop saved for the very end? Probably. I do have a very, very filthy mind.

Are you talking about Raptor? Good lord, this is not going to be as forceful as Raptor. I mean come on! Quick transitions? Where? Those are some of the smoothest, most drawn-out transitions you'll find anywhere! Look at Gatekeeper, then look at this, then tell me how this looks more forceful?

I could be very wrong that it won't be as forceful as Raptor and end up like O'ziris, but you can't deny that the steepness of the hill and the transitions into the first three loops look a hell of a lot tighter than Raptor's layout (at this stage of construction).

And making a comparison between Gatekeeper and an invert just because they are both B&M's is like comparing apples to oranges. Personally, I thought that the layout for Gatekeeper looked a little drawn out & tame when the design was released and would feature more floaty time & unusual elements than excessive G-forces - and that is exactly what that coaster delivers.

Please note that I'm not trying to say that Raptor is forceless because it is a good invert and it does feature some decent forces on the first loop, cobra roll and final helix. Just expressing a thought based on what I see, that's all.

Guess we'll all know for sure come next spring!

Capture.thumb.JPG.9439d4c8e6ec47bd286c7907000d1465.JPG

Ski lift drop and longer transitions into the loops.

Banshee.JPG.8abd1635b772392f5743879094385ee3.JPG

Perhaps this is just the angle the shot was taken, but that drop looks pretty freaking steep to me and the transition from the loop to the zero-g roll looks way tighter & more compact than Raptor's.