TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

^I have no idea why people bash em so much. Vekoma makes some cruddy rides, but those Flyers are fun. I really like them.

But with that thought... I would probably take most anything Vekoma over a B&M, for example. I enjoy coasters where you can close your eyes and feel like something is actually happening. Like, you're on a "ride" or roller coaster.

Wow.

I can not seem to convince the children on "another" forum that the loop is spread wider.

They just argue that is it the same and that the angle of the camera make it look wider.

As one pointed out, you can indeed tell the difference based on the support that the entrance and exit share.

^I have no idea why people bash em so much. Vekoma makes some cruddy rides, but those Flyers are fun. I really like them.

But with that thought... I would probably take most anything Vekoma over a B&M, for example. I enjoy coasters where you can close your eyes and feel like something is actually happening. Like, you're on a "ride" or roller coaster.

My opinion:

I've been on all three Vekoma flyers (SF America, Carowinds, KI), and all three Supermen flyers (Illinois, NJ, Georgia) and Tatsu. I hated two of the three Vekomas, although the KI version was running well when I rode it. B&M's versions have all wheels touching the rail 100% of the time and are much smoother, the Vekomas have a gap between the rail and the side wheels, which seemed like a bad design. The Carowinds flyer I found particularly bad and couldn't wait for the ride to end. I like not getting rattled on a ride and am not a fan of headaches.

Aftershock is my favorite Vekoma I've been on. The rest are tolerable or painful (ie. Kong). I thought the suspended boomerang at KI was so-so -- not great but not the worst.

My opinion:

I've been on all three Vekoma flyers (SF America, Carowinds, KI), and all three Supermen flyers (Illinois, NJ, Georgia) and Tatsu. I hated two of the three Vekomas, although the KI version was running well when I rode it. B&M's versions have all wheels touching the rail 100% of the time and are much smoother, the Vekomas have a gap between the rail and the side wheels, which seemed like a bad design. The Carowinds flyer I found particularly bad and couldn't wait for the ride to end. I like not getting rattled on a ride and am not a fan of headaches.

Aftershock is my favorite Vekoma I've been on. The rest are tolerable or painful (ie. Kong). I thought the suspended boomerang at KI was so-so -- not great but not the worst.

I find Firehawk to be good. I've only seen Nighthawk - it was closed when I went. I find Invertigos to be quite smooth and Boomerangs fine, but a bit rough (I still love to mock them for being boomerangs.) The SLC which I have the most experience with is Thunderhawk, which is one of the better ones from what I've heard, and is also decent, though rattly. Flight Deck at CW is the other SLC I've been on, but I only rode it once and in the front to avoid the bumpiness, so I have no fair opinion besides that my one ride was fine.

^Or just a normal person who doesn't give a crap about a loop being a few feet wider (which only serves the purpose of lining the rest of the layout up however B&M and their subcontractors found it necessary).

Yeah, it looks like a loop, it's gonna feel like a loop. Its width is just minutiae.

^Or just a normal person who doesn't give a crap about a loop being a few feet wider (which only serves the purpose of lining the rest of the layout up however B&M and their subcontractors found it necessary).

Yeah, it looks like a loop, it's gonna feel like a loop. Its width is just minutiae.

If it looks like a loop, rides like a loop, inverts like a loop, and quacks like a loop it probably is a loop.

I mean, seriously though. A vertical loop is a vertical loop. You go up, and you keep going up, and you keep going up and suddenly you're back to normal again.

If this is what the discussion is like during the construction of the first loop, I'm definitely buying a couple of tubs of popcorn once the non-heartlined straight twisty thingie starts getting built.

If it looks like a loop, rides like a loop, inverts like a loop, and quacks like a loop it probably is a loop.

Woah, woah, WOAH....if you ride a loop when it quacks and also when it's silent, does that count as two seperate credits? Even so, I'm pretty sure if I ever heard a loop quack, I'd find a way to steal it. The rest of the ride can scream like a Banshee for all I care; that loop is mine!

I have no idea why people bash em so much. Vekoma makes some cruddy rides, but those Flyers are fun. I really like them.

If you're going through the pretzel loops unaffected, I guess congrats on having fighter pilot like abilities to withstand G-forces. I guess then Vekoma's flying coasters would feel like something is happening by comparison with all violent shaking and 75% of the ride taking place on your back in a strange forced fetal position.

Sometimes the market speaks, and man, the market hated the Flying Dutchman.

75% of the ride taking place on your back in a strange forced fetal position

That is the big problem I have with NightHawk, most of the time is spent on your back instead of 'flying.' From what I remember of FireHawk, at least we were 'flying' more. None of them have particularly smooth rides which is awesome when riding on your back.

Firehawk/Nightwing offer slightly more "flying" with its extended layout, yeah, but it comes in the form of mostly straight track over unremarkable terrain and a crappy helix. Nightwing is the least horrible of the three but still isn't as good (or frankly, as intense) as any of the Superman clones. Maybe more intense than Air, but at least Air puts forth a college try and offering an actual "flying" experience, doesn't start by laying you on your back and blinding you in the midday sun, etc etc etc.

Firehawk/Nightwing offer slightly more "flying" with its extended layout, yeah, but it comes in the form of mostly straight track over unremarkable terrain and a crappy helix. Nightwing is the least horrible of the three but still isn't as good (or frankly, as intense) as any of the Superman clones. Maybe more intense than Air, but at least Air puts forth a college try and offering an actual "flying" experience, doesn't start by laying you on your back and blinding you in the midday sun, etc etc etc.

The Flying Dutchmen are fairly intense rides, however. Not to say the B&M ones aren't, they're probably just as intense if not more intense. But hey, this is the guy who found the Volare tolerable.

I mean, seriously though. A vertical loop is a vertical loop. You go up, and you keep going up, and you keep going up and suddenly you're back to normal again.

If this is what the discussion is like during the construction of the first loop, I'm definitely buying a couple of tubs of popcorn once the non-heartlined straight twisty thingie starts getting built.

Have you ridden Tennessee Tornado?

I'm not sure why we're talking about flyers but I'll throw my 2 cents in. I think the Vekoma flying coasters are miles ahead of the Superman clones which are some of the most boring adult steel coasters on the planet. I'll never understand the popularity of these coasters but the lines are always huge. I don't hate B&M flyers as a whole (I'm a huge fan of Tatsu) but those Superman clones are a snooze fest.

^ I agree, I dislike the Superman clones, but I LOVE Tatsu, I haven't tried Manta but I would assume it's better than the Superman clones.

Manta is a great flying coaster. It's like if you took Superman and added lots of near-miss moments and a little bit more height and speed. Plus it has good themeing. Although I do like the Superman clones, Manta is much better.

I'll never understand the popularity of these coasters but the lines are always huge.

The GP loves them, because of the different experience they offer. They differ from flying Dutchman coasters, because they don't beat you to death.

I don't like them either, mostly because they make me sick, but I understand their appear.