TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

I wonder how much work will be done to the ride platform. Will it be left open as is or will they enclose part of it and make it more of a bat cave?

I think they should enclose the lift. The structure of the lift is framed so all they would have to do is just enclose it. It would tie in perfectly to the bat theme.

I just learned the Bat had a double corkscrew they tested in 1980!! I did see the model Arrow had tested via a youtube video, but didn't realize it was built into the Bat originally. Talk about pushing the limits! I pulled this from KI Central who pulled it from TPR (somewhere). I wanted to credit the right person.

Definitely one of those "Looks good on paper" elements.

Glad to see the ride get a new theme...The Bat is a lot better than Flight Deck or Top Gun for this ride. I'm hoping when Kings Island's turn comes around again for a new coaster after Banshee they add a RMC wooden coaster to fill in the rest of the space where Son of Beast once stood. I could see this section of the park with a whole haunted theme too it...Could be quite awesome.

Glad to see the ride get a new theme...The Bat is a lot better than Flight Deck or Top Gun for this ride. I'm hoping when Kings Island's turn comes around again for a new coaster after Banshee they add a RMC wooden coaster to fill in the rest of the space where Son of Beast once stood. I could see this section of the park with a whole haunted theme too it...Could be quite awesome.

Ghost of Son of Beast?

I just learned the Bat had a double corkscrew they tested in 1980!! I did see the model Arrow had tested via a youtube video, but didn't realize it was built into the Bat originally. Talk about pushing the limits! I pulled this from KI Central who pulled it from TPR (somewhere). I wanted to credit the right person.

I wonder how many people it would have killed had they installed it on the actual ride.

^In normal operation there wasn't anything that would have killed anyone. The problem came when it was questioned what would happen in a situation where the train for some reason or another lost speed (such as a valley, something caught in a wheel, etc.) and therefore didn't have enough speed/momentum to keep the trains from essentially tipping over when inverted. That problem was never solved and therefore this was never implemented in any working model.

Looks like the loop's been topped off.

This Coaster really is so beautiful! I cant wait until next year! This will be the 4th credit I need to get at KI!

BTW, it looks like Ohio is having the same weather we are haveing here in MO! Are the crews continuing to work?

Do those little pegs on the bottom of the train exist to make it swing harder or do they have some sort of mechanical significance? If they're used to stabilize the train in the station, could they have maybe supported a guide rail below the corkscrew to make sure it held the train up if it stalled?

I remember Zamperla made a suspended coaster called Zooom!, could they maybe bring the design back or help keep these Arrows kicking?

And their next coaster to replace the rest of Son of Beast needs to be called Flaming Son King of Bat Flight Beast Banshee Kobra Deck In Space with a Side of Fries: The Best Roller Coaster Ever.

Do those little pegs on the bottom of the train exist to make it swing harder or do they have some sort of mechanical significance? If they're used to stabilize the train in the station, could they have maybe supported a guide rail below the corkscrew to make sure it held the train up if it stalled?

That is a actually a good idea but it would be extremely difficult, if not impossible to use those guide rails in the corkscrew and providing a smooth transition when the train engaged them as small variations in speed would mean the train was more or less banked in the turn which would lead into the corkscrew. I suppose that if there was a long straight section of track before it they could make the train engage the rails in a reasonably comfortable way but it would still be tricky as they would have to make sure the trains were completely vertical when the guide rails began.

A fixed-train suspended coaster would be fantastic. Suspended coasters typically have really small reach envelopes. Without worrying about the swinging, and with proper banking, you could design the coaster to be ridiculously close to the terrain.

^What you're thinking of is exactly what Vekoma has been doing lately on such rides like Freedom Flyer at Fun Spot and Orkanen at Farup Sommerland. The whole purpose of the suspended coaster was to have the trains swing out on the turns, that's where the thrill was. I'd much rather have that style make a resurgence sometime in the future but with improved track, supports and trains to handle the stresses better.