TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

And this is just a nerdy little Jarrett thing, but I love the sound wing coasters make when they leave or enter the station going over the sensors. That "clang...clang...clang...clang" noise I noticed on both Eagle and GateKeeper, if you know what I'm talking about. I recently noticed that Diamondback makes the same noise, but much quieter. I feel like Diamondback's is muffled on all sides by the station trough on the bottom and sides, but the wing coasters don't have anything to muffle them on the sides but the seats, hence the louder clangs. I haven't been on an invert in a while but do they make that noise when they dispatch? I'd like to see it on Banshee, wonder I'd the new trains will allow it.

I also like that noise. Many B&Ms do it, some louder than others, though. Gatekeeper was the loudest one I rode. I found it funny that when I was riding Dragon Khan, which also makes some noise (although less than Gatekeeper) when entering the station, that the ride ops would clap along with the "clang" sound. I nearly found myself clapping too.

Is it this sound? I used to think only apollos chariot made that sound but apparently nitro does too.

And this is just a nerdy little Jarrett thing, but I love the sound wing coasters make when they leave or enter the station going over the sensors. That "clang...clang...clang...clang" noise I noticed on both Eagle and GateKeeper, if you know what I'm talking about. I recently noticed that Diamondback makes the same noise, but much quieter. I feel like Diamondback's is muffled on all sides by the station trough on the bottom and sides, but the wing coasters don't have anything to muffle them on the sides but the seats, hence the louder clangs. I haven't been on an invert in a while but do they make that noise when they dispatch? I'd like to see it on Banshee, wonder I'd the new trains will allow it.

I also like that noise. Many B&Ms do it, some louder than others, though. Gatekeeper was the loudest one I rode. I found it funny that when I was riding Dragon Khan, which also makes some noise (although less than Gatekeeper) when entering the station, that the ride ops would clap along with the "clang" sound. I nearly found myself clapping too.

Is it this sound? I used to think only apollos chariot made that sound but apparently nitro does too.

I think it's a similar device but the exact sound I'm talking about is different. It can be heard very clearly at the 9 second mark in this video:

Just wondering if Banshee will make that noise too. It sounded really nice reverberating around GateKeeper's nice, open station.

Those noises are a couple of things:

1- The anti-roll backs are toggled and counted by a sensor as the train enters the station. On Inverts

& flyers the anti-rollback is pushed down and then a sensor counts it to see if it comes back up on its own. Sit down coatsters are the opposite obviously.

The 3 green devices in the middle of the picture below are what toggle the chain dog (middle device) and the anti-rollbacks (devices on both sides)

This is from Dive Coaster at Happy Valley Shanghai but all B&Ms except dive coasters only have 2 toggling devices. 1 for chain dog and 1 for anti-rollbacks. Dive coasters have 2 sets of anti-rollbacks hence the need for the additional toggling device.

2- There's electrical pick-up contacts that slide into bus-bars that make noises as well.

^Yeah I had already assumed it had to do with the anti rollbacks, specially as when I was riding gatekeeper I was in a seat where the anti rollbacks were visible from and I saw them moving when the train entered the station.

Those noises are a couple of things:

1- The anti-roll backs are toggled and counted by a sensor as the train enters the station. On Inverts

& flyers the anti-rollback is pushed down and then a sensor counts it to see if it comes back up on its own. Sit down coatsters are the opposite obviously.

The 3 green devices in the middle of the picture below are what toggle the chain dog (middle device) and the anti-rollbacks (devices on both sides)

This is from Dive Coaster at Happy Valley Shanghai but all B&Ms except dive coasters only have 2 toggling devices. 1 for chain dog and 1 for anti-rollbacks. Dive coasters have 2 sets of anti-rollbacks hence the need for the additional toggling device.

2- There's electrical pick-up contacts that slide into bus-bars that make noises as well.

Your no.2 is spot on. This is the sound you'll hear on Gatekeeper, Diamondback, and basically any new B&M coaster.

As for the speculation about inverts, this is false. As far as I know, inverts do not have chain dog sensors since they are spring loaded rather than suspended down. The clang noise as trains traverse the station is the drive wheels. They are not fixed to the track, rather they are suspended and they swing freely back and forth. This is so they don't break off the track if the train is slightly off place. There is a point between cars where there aren't any copper plates for the drive wheels, and this is where the banging noise comes from. The drive wheels bang in and out of the joints on the train. This is very prominent at Raptor (a ride I had worked for 3 years), which has neither chain dog sensors (i.e. Dive Coaster) nor retractable contact pins (i.e. Gatekeeper or newest B&M coasters). Remember, I am only talking about inverts! Other coasters are obviously different, and each invert is different from its other invert brothers. It's up to the park's maintenance how much they want them to move, and I guess Cedar Point prefers them rather loose.

I have found some pictures to prove my point. As you can see here, there is a piece of metal wrapping over the top of the lip in the spine, and underneath that is a rubber stopper which prevents them from moving too much. Look all the way to the right just above the wheel cover. Here you can see that both wheels are tied together with a connector that obviously rotates with the movement of the motors, and this keeps them at a fixed distance apart for the train. Also, here you can see all the way to the right of the photo a groove at the joint where the cars twist from. This is what the wheels bang on when moving.

Also, just to add speculation, since this is the first invert to use the electronic locking hydraulic restraints, I imagine you'll get a bit of both sounds. Hmmm...just food for thought.

^^^You're correct. Inverts do not have a device that toggles/counts chain-dogs however the anti-rollbacks ARE counted (I operated Silver Bullet for 4 years) as the trains enter the station and that's one of the clicking noises that is heard. I can't speak for Raptor as I haven't been on it in 6 years but SB's pinch wheels are nearly silent.

^^ Yes some of us are a little more nerdy than others and care about details that no one of could give a rats a$$ about.