TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

I checked the webcam in calculus earlier today (before class started, of course) and there was a spider on the webcam. XD Anyone else see it?

I did notice the drop supports yesterday, though. And looking closely at the area near that fence by Delirium, could that blurry piece of purple be the apex of the hill? I see one more long lift piece by the brake run and all those drop pieces by Sling Shot, could this mean we're about to see it topped off?

That being said, this thing is MASSIVE! That steep lift on an invert has to be a strange sensation.

And when do we think they'll announce an exact date? That's not a part of construction that I usually follow since I usually don't go to opening days, but I want to see about getting off work/ditching class to go to this one since it's within driving distance.

^saw the bug as well while I tried watching them put the supports up.

This thing just looks bigger than I thought it would, not that I'm complaining! Maybe it's because there is nothing much around it to compare. It really is going up fast as well! Can't wait for it to open!

I'm just going to express my opinion hear but i think Banshee is going to suck! With those harnesses the ride is going to be very unenjoyable. And in no way have I ever experienced a bumpy B&M invert. That is just BS like when people say that Maverick is rough and it hurts, they are just being a pussy. I was hoping for a something else but I can see that is not going to happen. With those vest harnesses you don't feel anything and it makes the ride very boring. That is just my opinion of it but I definitely will not be planning a huge trip to Kings Island just to ride Banshee. I will have to wait till they get there next coaster and hopefully it will be something worth traveling for.

Me neither. I mean, the only advantage I see on those types of restraints is the fact that there can be no headbanging but as markysharky17 said, I have never ridden a rough B&M invert. Even when I rode Batman at SFGAdv this year I got totally smooth rides in the front and back despite being already 20 years old!

Still, I could also see this as a first step for B&M to start building looping rides with lap bars as they wouldn't have to do much more than just removing the rubber part and moving the metal bars to the side a bit although I don't see that happening in a near future

With those vest harnesses you don't feel anything and it makes the ride very boring.

The only coasters that B&M has put these new seats on are [apparently] forceless wing coasters.

Are you actually telling me that the kind of restraint that is installed on a ride seat actually has any effect on the forcefulness of the ride? Because it really doesn't. The coaster's layout, and to a lesser extent the lift hill speed and brakes, is what dictates the forces (or, in some cases, layouts are designed to be within a certain range of forces).

EDIT: Perfect example - Montu versus Silver Bullet. Montu is crazy-intense, Silver Bullet is, apparently, not at all. Yet they both use the exact same "old-style" B&M train.

I'm honestly expecting some good forces out of this ride. I'm not exactly a force guy, but I do enjoy a good shove down into my seat going around a turn now and then.

Anyway, Wild Eagle in the back was EXTREMElY intense. Diamondback is anothe good example of a newer intense B&M depending on where you ride. GateKeeper's second keyhole roll gives some nice force vectors too. What I'm saying with this is that I don't think the art of an intense B&M is lost. It's definitely gotten less popular over the years, I think Banshee could be a nice comeback. There's no way that dive loop is tame. And I feel like that inline twist would feel similar to a wingover

I feel like wing coasters are a bad example for two reasons. First, correct me if I'm wrong, but the trains are really heavy. Referring to the formula F=ma, if the m value is higher, the a value had to go down to reduce stress on the track. Second, it's really impossible to have intense positive Gs going through a rolling element because it would create intense negative Gs on the other wing, which we can take less of. I feel like the design required them to be less forceful and the design of an invert allows it to be more intense since the trains are lighter and the rider experience is more uniform.

Just a "Jarrett writes down what's on his warped little mind" post. Not sure how true it is, just things I've noticed might be. Take it as you will.

My name is Mark and I am a pussy according to markysharky. When I rode Maverick, which I love, the restraints hurt badly and I was bruised for over a week. With my height, the restraints cut right into my neck on the rapid turns. It probably would be my favorite coaster if they changed the restraints. I do better now I know the track layout and brace myself.

Banshee is not being built for us. It is being built for their biggest market which is families. Cedar Point is where they put the coasters for enthusiasts. KI is more of a family rides kind of park. Kids and teenagers who have never been anywhere else will love the ride. I have no opinion because I will wait and ride it before I pass judgement. It does fill a void that the park has had ever since Raptor went in at CP.

I feel like wing coasters are a bad example for two reasons. First, correct me if I'm wrong, but the trains are really heavy. Referring to the formula F=ma, if the m value is higher, the a value had to go down to reduce stress on the track. Second, it's really impossible to have intense positive Gs going through a rolling element because it would create intense negative Gs on the other wing, which we can take less of. I feel like the design required them to be less forceful and the design of an invert allows it to be more intense since the trains are lighter and the rider experience is more uniform.

You do have a point, I suppose. However, while wing rider trains seem to be less appropriate for high G forces I have been on furius baco which was very intense. I don't know if the differences between those trains and B&M's allows it to pull more forces but it really does. To me the thing is that B&M and the parks which ask for these rides want to provide a "flying" sensation which seems appropriate for wingriders and involves a lot more floating around in light Gs than pulling high forces and spinning/twisting/snapping you around like some older B&M inverts do (specially in the corkscrews and zero Gs).

As to what you said about the train pulling positive forces in one side and negative ones on the other while in a rolling element, it's not exactly like that. You see, if the trains spins at a constant high speed there will be lots of laterals (due to the train's wide nature) but the vertical forces will be the same on either sides. The different forces are created when the trains starts or stops spinning (which is what creates acceleration). For example, lets say the train entered an inline twist to the right really fast, the right side of the train would initially pull negatives while the left would pull positives. When the trains exits the spin, the deceleration in the rolling movement would cause the right to pull positives and the left to pull negatives. So, during the part of the roll in which the train is spinning at a constant speed, the forces (apart from laterals) would be the same. Just to give you a real example, when I rode skyrush (even though it is different from actual wingriders) I noticed that, in the left winged seat, I got some nice negatives while the train was going from an onverbanked position (in the stengel dive) back to normal and in the right it was the opposite but that was because there was acceleration in the spinning movement.

I'm honestly expecting some good forces out of this ride. I'm not exactly a force guy, but I do enjoy a good shove down into my seat going around a turn now and then.

Anyway, Wild Eagle in the back was EXTREMElY intense. Diamondback is anothe good example of a newer intense B&M depending on where you ride. GateKeeper's second keyhole roll gives some nice force vectors too. What I'm saying with this is that I don't think the art of an intense B&M is lost. It's definitely gotten less popular over the years, I think Banshee could be a nice comeback. There's no way that dive loop is tame. And I feel like that inline twist would feel similar to a wingover.

I think you will be very pleased with Banshee if you consider Wild Eagle and Diamondback extremely intense.

Anyway, Wild Eagle in the back was EXTREMElY intense. Diamondback is anothe good example of a newer intense B&M depending on where you ride. GateKeeper's second keyhole roll gives some nice force vectors too. What I'm saying with this is that I don't think the art of an intense B&M is lost. It's definitely gotten less popular over the years, I think Banshee could be a nice comeback. There's no way that dive loop is tame. And I feel like that inline twist would feel similar to a wingover.

I think you will be very pleased with Banshee if you consider Wild Eagle and Diamondback extremely intense.

I haven't been on Wild Eagle, but Diamondback was decent, granted it wasn't Batman The Ride or Nitro's helix, but I did grey out in the helix into the MCBR, but that's about it. So not extremely intense, but it has an intense moment.

Hopefully Banshee brings back the BTR intensity, but I highly doubt that.

It certainly won't have the snap of the older B&Ms, but I would think some serious positive g's will be pulled on all the loops and the final helix. I'm especially looking forward to the zero-g roll that drops into the valley. There might be some airtime coming out of it.

Looking at the webcam, this coaster is way taller than I thought it would be!

I really hope that the ride will have force to it otherwise those restraints are going to make the ride boring. The only way to get an exciting ride on SIlver Bullet is to have the restraints a little loose so that you get thrown around a little in your seat, especially on the zero-g roll.

I'm just going to express my opinion hear but i think Banshee is going to suck! With those harnesses the ride is going to be very unenjoyable. And in no way have I ever experienced a bumpy B&M invert. That is just BS like when people say that Maverick is rough and it hurts, they are just being a pussy. I was hoping for a something else but I can see that is not going to happen. With those vest harnesses you don't feel anything and it makes the ride very boring. That is just my opinion of it but I definitely will not be planning a huge trip to Kings Island just to ride Banshee. I will have to wait till they get there next coaster and hopefully it will be something worth traveling for.

Glad you won't be going to ride Banshee. One less person standing in front of me.

I will be there on Media Day, and on opening day.

Ill be there opening day. How do you get to go for media day? For this site or somewhere else?

It is going to be just like Gatekeeper Media Day where paid coaster club members will be able to attend. Don confirmed this at an event I went to a couple weeks ago.

Ill be there opening day. How do you get to go for media day? For this site or somewhere else?

It is going to be just like Gatekeeper Media Day where paid coaster club members will be able to attend. Don confirmed this at an event I went to a couple weeks ago.

I didn't know you had to be a paid club member (this was going to be my first media day) to attend. Is it too late to join one to get in?

Also, was opening day/media day ever announced?

I didn't know you had to be a paid club member (this was going to be my first media day) to attend. Is it too late to join one to get in?

http://www.clubtpr.com/

http://www.clubtpr.com/

That's good to know, but is there a date by which I need to join to get into media day? I really want to join, but it might wait until next season since I'll have no use for it with just one park visit left for me this season.

Alright, it's a boring Sunday afternoon in September (possibly the most boring month of the year up there with February and April) and I had nothing better to do than with my time than to make this:

1186724_701590853203278_2086389456_n.jpg

Not sure how accurate it is but it should be pretty close. I'm just glad I finally have the entire layout memorized in order.