TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

^ Great!

Now on a side note, I think this is the last Coaster addition KI will be seeing for several years. Also, I think the next Coaster addition will be a replacement for Vortex, or Firehawk, rather than an increased Coaster count. I just had the thought, and wanted to share it. Thoughts?

^^ Why would they replace Firehawk? It's one of the most popular rides at the park, if not the most, and it's honestly a pretty good ride. Vortex maybe, but still, it's a GP favorite, and a people eater, I think that they're just going to expand on their next coaster addition, rather than replace.

I feel like Vortex is good for a few years, but should definitely be the next coaster out. It's an awful, rough ride and I honestly feel like something better could take its place. You'd think a big, huge looper like that would be awesome. It's not. It's rough and old and with Banshee taking its title away from having the most inversions in the park, I see no reason to just trash it.

In all honesty, hate me for it, but I feel like a wing coaster should take its spot. The park is really well-rounded now with Banshee, and I was looking at the Vortex station last time I was there and noticed something. The maintanence bays are already right next to the current loading platform. If they knocked down the wall and built a few extra cattlepens, I could see this being converted into a wing coaster station if they widen that gap. And what to call that wing coaster? Red supports holding up black track with dark brown bat-themed trains called, you guessed it, The Bat. It would be the perfect replacement and do a great job of paying homage to the original Bat. Maybe have it do a gargantuan Thorpe Park Inversion clipping Beast's lift hill? It would be cool to have two spooky-themed coasters next to each other like that, and with there being Beast and Banshee, another spooky-themed ride would work well. Rehab the station and area around it and it would be great. That station could be themed to a haunted house easily as well.

Seconding "good to hear". It's rough, agreed, but one of the most repeatable Arrow loopers out there. It really shines in the double loop and the batwing, good forces there. I have more rides on Vortex than any coaster at KI (DB a close second). What drags it down are the clunky transition into the loops after a great first drop, and the excessive braking that leads to an uncomfortably slow corkscrew. Nothing new there though, KD Anaconda anyone?

Vortex would go before Firehawk but Vortex is still quite popular. If Vortex ever does leave I hope they will still retain the station. It's one of the best looking stations in any park I've been to.

Me too...

And incidentally speaking of Vortex's station I have always wondered if the large concrete area under the loading area (seen to the left as you go down the stairs) was ever used for queue. I have been going to KI since about 1988 and do not recall it ever being used, but I seem to remember 15-20 years ago seeing neglected speed rails set up down there.

Was this used for the Bat and as just left over?

I always found it odd that KI would just let the queue spill through Coney Mall following the painted "track fists" clear back to the games when there seemed to be a perfectly good queue area under the station.

Vortex is cool. It's not that rough if you know to brace yourself for that nasty transition. The bat wing is still awesome. Let's keep the Arrow's around as long as possible, you going to miss them when they are gone. Arrow was more boundry pushing than anybody before or since. If they ever remove it, a nice tight, crazy RMC woodie would fill the space nicely.

On a side note...Banshee lift hill is going up! Can't wait to see it in person Friday night.

I'm so excited for Banshee! I think its going to be a great addition!

Regards to the angle of the lift, I would assume it is so steep because of space issues/close proximity to Adventure Express, but that is just my guess. There could be a completely different reason lol!