TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

I am hoping those parts are for KI, I wasn't expecting an inverted coaster but it would be a nice surprise! The most recent inverted coaster like Oz'Iris no longer have a pre-drop which can provide a nice steep, long drop. I would love to see an invert with some unique elements. My favorite inverted coaster, Alpengeist, is my favorite for the reason it doesnt follow the typical layout of inversions. There are also a couple of inverts out there that give you a nice pop of airtime, that would be nice. My question to those that may know... The track label reads IC2, for inverted coaster, Was there ever a time when the inverted labels read just "IC"? Does IC2 refer to the 2nd generation of inverts (those without pre-drops) I wonder if they are capable of manevers the older generation could not do, like non-curving drops. Are there any differences with the trains on the newer inverts?

untitled.bmp

One of these would be nice... :)

Not the Oziris debacle again. Take it away!

I think that if a park is planning on building a gigantic inverted coaster, then this is the kind of gigantic inverted coaster that they should be building -

^ How is that a "debacle"? Pyrenees is great but the first half of the ride is essentially a 50' taller version of Batman The Ride(And there's about 9 clones of that ride already...) Drop, loop, zero g, loop... When I think "giant" inverted coasters only two come to mind (Alpy and Montu) The point of my post is that rides like OzIris have changed up the formula a bit, and it would be cool to see more unique coasters out there, even if that means the ride doesn't have any new elements, but changes the order they are experienced in.

I also find parks do a wonderful job theming inverted coasters for the most part, moreso than most other types of coasters from the B&M catalog. With Matt O. behind the wheel I'm hoping for a splash of theming... hell they even themed the teaser signs and footers...

My question to those that may know... The track label reads IC2, for inverted coaster, Was there ever a time when the inverted labels read just "IC"? Does IC2 refer to the 2nd generation of inverts (those without pre-drops) I wonder if they are capable of manevers the older generation could not do, like non-curving drops. Are there any differences with the trains on the newer inverts?

I could be wrong, but I have heard that the 2 is only there because of B&M running out of letters. You see, the first B&M Invert had IC-A_ _ _ _ _ _ and then a b and so forth, but due to the popularity, it went through the alphabet, so now it says IC2-J_ _ _ _, which I believe is just running through the alphabet. (I think B&M skips some letter due to their resemblance to numbers, i, l).

Also Gatekeeper was WC-G, which refers to the sixth Wing Coaster.

My question to those that may know... The track label reads IC2, for inverted coaster, Was there ever a time when the inverted labels read just "IC"? Does IC2 refer to the 2nd generation of inverts (those without pre-drops) I wonder if they are capable of manevers the older generation could not do, like non-curving drops. Are there any differences with the trains on the newer inverts?

I could be wrong, but I have heard that the 2 is only there because of B&M running out of letters. You see, the first B&M Invert had IC-A_ _ _ _ _ _ and then a b and so forth, but due to the popularity, it went through the alphabet, so now it says IC2-J_ _ _ _, which I believe is just running through the alphabet. (I think B&M skips some letter due to their resemblance to numbers, i, l).

Also Gatekeeper was WC-G, which refers to the sixth Wing Coaster.

Patriot was also IC-2 E

This one is IC2 J

k6poihs68o8clg0032vn0s.jpg.da0e2a6edad514a5df50de01c5c4489b.jpg

Patriot was also IC-2

It was IC2-E, which means it was a few before this next one, IC2-J. The only B&M Inverts to come out since Patriot were Black Mamba (IC2-F), Phaethon (IC2-G), and OzIris (IC2-H). Now assuming that they skipped IC2-I because it looks like a number, the next logical Invert would be IC2-J, which is what is found on the truck bed a page back!

That does make sense that they would skip I because it looks like a number, haha. This is pretty interesting. I'm really pumped to see what this turns out to be- if it's just a regular invert or if they do something different with the trains, something unique with the layout or the height perhaps?

I'm hoping that if this coaster is a B&M invert, I hope it will actually be intense and forceful and not floaty and boring. B&M seems to have misplaced their "make forceful/intense" button shortly after the turn of the millenium. My home B&M invert, CGA's Flight Deck (1993), is a very intense "old-school" B&M, whereas Medusa (2000) a little farther away at SFDK is fun and has some decent forces, but not truly heavy and powerful like Flight Deck. The TPR 2012 Europe trip participants found Oz'Iris to be a complete bore, and actually rough enough to provide a little headbanging!

This makes me wonder if B&M is simply over-engineering their rides nowadays, or perhaps Werner Stengel's influence on their designs has diminished since he retired. The question of B&M's transition from forcefulness to floatyness after the turn of the millenium still hovers over me as it does over many enthusiasts.

This coaster will most definitely be thousands of miles better than SOB (and I haven't even ridden that or even been to KI, I know the ride's terrible reputation), but will it deliver a powerful "old-school B&M" style ride? In the end, I'm just hoping that if this ride is in fact a B&M invert that it'll be a harkening back to the days of old-school B&M.

And its construction started, if I'm not mistaken, before gatekeeper.

As it really seems to be an invert I do hope they go for a height and maybe speed record, Alpengeist goes 67 mph with a 170 ft drop and does anyone know what is the fastest inverted coaster around? Is it an intamin impulse one? Anyway, if they go for the height record it shouldn't be that hard to go for the speed one too. However, more importantly, I would really like to see some B&M old-school like forcefulness and intensity that makes some of their older inverts so awesome. Fingers crossed

^You are correct. The fasest (and tallest) invert is currently Wicked Twister at CP- 72mph and 215 feet. Knowing Cedar Fair, I wouuldn't at all be surprised if the KI invert comes in just below those stats, assuming the KI coaster is an invert, so they can keep the bragging rights in CP, just like they did with I305 and Leviathan for MF.

^I don't know, although they obviously seem to have an aversion to outdoing rides at Cedar Point, is Wicked Twister ever really even advertised as the tallest and fastest invert? I don't recall seeing anything while at the park. I think the fact that it doesn't appear all that tall and fast compared to some of the other rides at Cedar Point that they've glossed over that fact.

That being said, a full circuit inverted coaster coming in just shy of that height and speed would still be pretty epic. I'd be excited about that.

^That's true, I don't remember seeing Wicked Twister being advertised as the world's tallest and fastest inverted coaster maybe because it is not that comparable to full-circuit inverts such as B&Ms and even intamin ones like volcano, if it were, they wouldn't have added it with raptor standing so close. That said, as DanM64 mentioned, it wouldn't be that much of a surprise to see KI coming up with a slightly smaller and slower invert which, despite meaning the coaster could still be great, is really a shame as it would mean we would have to wait until cedar point ditches raptor (which they shouldn't, at least soon) to see a record breaking coaster in a cedar fair park.

There's already an inverted (swinging coaster) and an inverted (boomerang) right next door, but if this ends up being an inverted coaster, I hope it has a drop with some good airtime like Raptor or Katun.

A straight drop would be really unique. Battlestar Galactica is the only straight inverted drop that I can recall offhand.

Edited by nannerdw

That said, as DanM64 mentioned, it wouldn't be that much of a surprise to see KI coming up with a slightly smaller and slower invert which, despite meaning the coaster could still be great, is really a shame as it would mean we would have to wait until cedar point ditches raptor (which they shouldn't, at least soon) to see a record breaking coaster in a cedar fair park.

Patriot is taller than Raptor...

I wouldn't mind seeing the first full-circuit 200+ foot invert take SoB's old spot at all. In fact, any old invert would be great there. Let's hope it's fairly forceful.

That said, as DanM64 mentioned, it wouldn't be that much of a surprise to see KI coming up with a slightly smaller and slower invert which, despite meaning the coaster could still be great, is really a shame as it would mean we would have to wait until cedar point ditches raptor (which they shouldn't, at least soon) to see a record breaking coaster in a cedar fair park.

Patriot is taller than Raptor...

I know. What I meant was this: right now the tallest and fastest invert is in Cedar Point and, probably, the next tallest and fastest one will also be there and I can only see CP adding a new invert when one of the two they have is removed and raptor is the most likely to be that one, I wasn't really saying they will never build taller than raptor while it is operating. I'm guessing KI will go for the speed and height record among full-circuit inverts while Wicked Twister remains the tallest and fastest overall.