TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

At least with Canada's Wonderland Behemoth has lot of airtime hills to separate it from Leviathan. If they build a Giga like that here, It would be even worse because Diamondback is more like Leviathan already. They are even more similar then the other two.

But we will have to wait and see, maybe we will be surprised.

Trying to find out if Brandon, my employee, has heard if it will be a B&M or Intamin, but he is busy.

Here is his quote: I know when I was at Cedar Point, when they signed on to do Wicked Twister, they signed for 10 coasters with Intamin.

Did I miss something in the last dozen or so pages where this was announced as a coaster? I went back through and didn't see any confirmation yet, but if it is, Jesus don't be a repeat of CW's double B & M........

You didn't miss anything.

I said "My Prediction"

Based on the footers, that very closely match Diamondback and Leviathan, I am 90% sure it is going to be a B&M.

Here is his quote: I know when I was at Cedar Point, when they signed on to do Wicked Twister, they signed for 10 coasters with Intamin.

Maybe I've been told incorrectly by others, but I have been told chains make deals to buy packages of rides, but they always do so for one year at a time. I tend to believe it to be true, because unless they already know what the 10 coasters are going to be, how can they make a deal for them?

When Wicked Twister was built, King's Island was a Paramount Park, and years from changing hands. There is no way that Cedar Fair could have made a deal to purchase a coaster for King's Island since they didn't know they would be running the parks.

I think this new coaster is going to be a Wild Mouse and that Cedar Fair will transform the Action Zone into a boardwalk theme area like Knotts. I mean those footers are pretty close together if you look at them.

I think this new coaster is going to be a Wild Mouse and that Cedar Fair will transform the Action Zone into a boardwalk theme area like Knotts. I mean those footers are pretty close together if you look at them.

Honestly, I would be perfectly OK with that as long as it came with an Action Zone retheme. A boardwalk theme would be nice, but I've always secretly been hoping that the area would return to its Safari-themed roots. Maybe throw in a jungle-themed car ride like the one at Universal Singapore. I highly doubt that it's a wild mouse though.

Wasn't there some mention by the higher ups not long ago about getting Kings Island back to its roots? Action Zone being returned to its safari roots would fall in line with that.

Also, Kings Island PR posted on another board today that SOB's station would be used for a haunt attraction this year and beyond. Just thought I'd throw that out there for whatever it's worth. Some have speculated it might be used for the new ride (still not 100 percent convinced it's a big coaster).

Wasn't there some mention by the higher ups not long ago about getting Kings Island back to its roots? Action Zone being returned to its safari roots would fall in line with that.

Yes, but Kings Island's roots is Coney Island, which it's still proud of.

^ They also already have an area of the park themed to old Coney Island. Coney Mall also saw some pretty extensive refurbishment in 2011 when Windseeker was installed. So for the Action Zone area, going to back to a Jungle/Safari/Adventure type theme would be going back to its roots.

Whatever is installed, a retheme of the Action Zone would be greatly welcomed in my opinion, hopefully the removal of the water tower (or even repainting Invertigo in 2012) is a first step towards a new theme...

Retheming Action Zone to the original jungle/safari theme would mean they would need to rename all the rides in the area to match it and we all know how great CF is with their names.

Whatever is done to that area I just hope they plant some trees and add landscaping to break up all that concrete and while they are at it they should remove Timberwolf. Other than the Christian music festival and maybe a cheerleading competition how often is it really used?

At least with Canada's Wonderland Behemoth has lot of airtime hills to separate it from Leviathan. If they build a Giga like that here, It would be even worse because Diamondback is more like Leviathan already. They are even more similar then the other two.

i just wanted to let it be known that I do not agree with this post.

i just wanted to let it be known that I do not agree with this post.

I agree with you, I got a LOT of airtime on Diamondback, granted I've always asked for the front or back row, and was never denied, but even still, it was a lot of floater/maybe slight floatjector air, but those return bunny hops were always fun.

This may be a stupid question, but would they ever build gigas with inversions? If not, why wouldn't they?

I have the same question! I would love to see someone building a giga looping coaster but I'm not really seeing that happening and I don't really know why. It's been quite a long time since the world's fastest/tallest coaster had inversions. Let's just hope for someone to come up with such an idea. It would be awesome!

by rcjp » Sun May 26, 2013 1:24 pm

dumakey1212 wrote:This may be a stupid question, but would they ever build gigas with inversions? If not, why wouldn't they?

I have the same question! I would love to see someone building a giga looping coaster but I'm not really seeing that happening and I don't really know why. It's been quite a long time since the world's fastest/tallest coaster had inversions. Let's just hope for someone to come up with such an idea. It would be awesome!

I don't think it's a stupid question: My take on it is that when parks build large roller coasters, in this case one up to or higher than 300 feet tall, their intention is for riders to experience a sense of speed and the dropping sensation. For a 300 foot tall looping roller coaster, the inversions would have to be quite large and take away from the sense of speed or change the pace of the ride from what they are trying to offer. Personally, I prefer a ride with large drops versus rides with more inversions. It's ideal for me when a ride has a nice combination of long drops and large inversions, that's why why Griffon is my favorite.

by rcjp » Sun May 26, 2013 1:24 pm

dumakey1212 wrote:This may be a stupid question, but would they ever build gigas with inversions? If not, why wouldn't they?

I don't think it's a stupid question: My take on it is that when parks build large roller coasters, in this case one up to or higher than 300 feet tall, their intention is for riders to experience a sense of speed and the dropping sensation. For a 300 foot tall looping roller coaster, the inversions would have to be quite large and take away from the sense of speed or change the pace of the ride from what they are trying to offer. Personally, I prefer a ride with large drops versus rides with more inversions. It's ideal for me when a ride has a nice combination of long drops and large inversions, that's why why Griffon is my favorite.

It's funny because I was just thinking about the Intamin Megalite's like Piraten, after the first drop, that second hill under the lift would be perfect for a corkscrew, zero g roll-esque element.

Then after the airtime hill that follows, go around the left turn into a barrel roll where that twisting bunny hop is, and then finish the ride like a normal Megalite.

2 inversions and an airtime filled ride, seems awesome.

You guys seem to be forgetting that while Intamin rides are fun, they are a maintenance nightmare.

Intamin is a maintenance nightmare well if you think you can make a 10/12,000 horsepower hydraulic motor launch a multi-ton train perfectly every time or have a single cable tow a multi-ton train up a 300+ foot hill perfectly every time I'm sure Intamin would love to have your expertise in their company. I love how enthusiast love to rag on Intamin yet they are always at the top of the coaster rankings for them to be such are horrible company it sure hasn't stopped amusement parks all over the world from buying them just look at 2013 there are 8 Intamins to 2 B&M and with that said...

I am hoping KI get's an Intamin Giga or a longer more bad a$$ version of Maverick!!!

I am hoping KI get's an Intamin Giga or a longer more bad a$$ version of Maverick!!!

An I-305 clone would be great. A combination of I-305 and Maverick would be great. Probably impossible to have the 300 ft drop go past 90 degrees, but maybe one of the subsequent hills could. A 200 foot BM invert would also be great.

This may be a stupid question, but would they ever build gigas with inversions? If not, why wouldn't they?

I believe in TPR's interview with B&M, they said that they can do it, it's just that none of the parks have decided to build one with an inversion.