TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

^^Hmmm...that was already the name of it when we were there this past Labor day. We probably spent more time at this place then we did the rest of the park!

Will be good to see them spruce it up and have some German food to go with the beer. It was nice that they had a full bar to go with it too...not something that you see in too many amusement parks these days.

284433909_Kings_Island048.JPG.55dbcdab26b329076c4cd377e9c1a4d8.JPG

Mmmmm...bier garten!

• 2 weeks later...

Kings Island is replacing the Rivertown Junction restaurant (near Diamondback) with a Cincinnati Reds themed "Hall of Fame Grille" full service restaurant! Looks pretty cool. It will "feature authentic Reds memorabilia, framed jerseys and photos, and other bits of history dating back to the 1800s from the first professional baseball team":

www.visitkingsisland.com/article/media-center/New-Reds-Hall-of-Fame-Grille-restaurant-will-feature-sports-barstyle-food-Reds-history-and-authentic-team-memorabilia

from visitkingsisland.com

I just read this but Hanks back porch is being remade into "Christian Moerlein Bier Garten". And their actually giving it a German theme AND German food! Its nice to see something German going into Octoberfest!

The Construction photo.

Link to page:http://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog-article/online-fun/Kings-Island-Photo-of-the-Day-2-21-13-30

It's been serving Moerlein beer for a while, and been a 'bier garten' for a while. Haha. The 21 and ups are welllllll aware of this.

I just read this but Hanks back porch is being remade into "Christian Moerlein Bier Garten". And their actually giving it a German theme AND German food! Its nice to see something German going into Octoberfest!

The Construction photo.

Link to page:http://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog-article/online-fun/Kings-Island-Photo-of-the-Day-2-21-13-30

It's been serving Moerlein beer for a while, and been a 'bier garten' for a while. Haha. The 21 and ups are welllllll aware of this.

Yep. I remember spending LOTS of time here!

I thought that the Hank's back porch was a haunted house durring halloweekends? If so, I wonder if it will return?

Nope, the past two years has been excluded from the Pirates haunted house (by the way the worst Haunt). So it's been open during Haunt the past two years.

While I guess King's Island already has their next coaster way into development at this point, heres to hoping they were talking with RMC about a woodie or Intamin about a Hyperlite. King's Island needs something no one has in the states (Hyperlite) or a new super woodie like RMC is debuting. Outlaw Run cost around 10 million. I would guess Cedar Fair has 20 to 25 million budgeted for the new KI coaster. Image a 5000ft terrain RMC woodie with 6 inversionsat the former Son of Beast site?? haha One can dream. The Intamin Hyperlite are pretty expensive, but with that budget KI could build a really super sweet one.

Let's also hope that it's not called "Grandson of Beast" or something retarded like that. Give it a menacing name. Make the crowds come because you offer something Cedar Point does NOT have. Kings Island used to be a real boundry pusher (See the Beast 1979) The Bat was an awesome prototype that failed. Son of Beast was a disaster. Here's to hoping they are not gun shy of pushing the limits because of past failures.

^ They already dropped $22 million on Diamondback...

Exactly....i think they would want to pour money into KI. They should have a monster woody with a loop, but thanks to poor building, its gone. I would think Cedar Fair feels bad for KI and would want to replace it with a big attraction

I would think Cedar Fair feels bad for KI and would want to replace it with a big attraction

Corporations do not make decisions based on bad feelings!

True, i worded it wrong. What im trying to get across is it should be time KI got something new(in terms of a coaster) and i would think Cedar Fair would invest nicely at KI.

After seeing the new area for Gatekeeper, thinking Kings Island's big 2014 project might also include the whole Action Zone revitalized. With the removal of Son of Beast, Thunder Road, and them basically stripping the current area of whatever theming remains, this area is going to have quite the change. This also goes in line that with the fact there really hasn't been a major investment here since Diamondback and had more removals than additions since. I mean, they lost some capacity on SoB in 2006 and gained it back with Diamondback in 2009, but lost it again when SoB closed permanently the same year.

To follow the current trend for capital investments, 2015 might be shifting the focus over to Knott's with it being the 1st tier investment of that year. Of course it's too far ahead to see what the other parks are going to get, as Cedar Fair themselves still aren't sure. Both KD and Carowinds are still "recovering" after the Intimidator additions but they have been working on other aspects of the parks that have been needed. I haven't looked closer to see what "holes" Carowinds has in their attraction lineups, but I know that KD is getting a couple of them filled this year with the entertainment and Planet Snoopy additions.

Random Question: What the chances that Vortex will still be around for the 2014 season? I know there was some discussion about a removal rumor a while back, but I'm not sure what's true. I don't think I'll be able to go until next year.

Random Question: What the chances that Vortex will still be around for the 2014 season? I know there was some discussion about a removal rumor a while back, but I'm not sure what's true. I don't think I'll be able to go until next year.

High. It's still very popular and I don't see it being removed for another 2 or 3 years.

I'm an Arrow fan boy, won't lie. But the fact of the matter is, coasters have life spans. Vortex will be around for a bit longer, but it will be gone eventually. No one really knows yet when that'll be. My hope is that with today's technology, older rides can be refurbished to get more life out of them. Not necessarily as dramatic as Steel Phantom into Phantom's Revenge, or the RMC coasters in Texas, but just something that keeps the attraction going, especially if it's still popular.

Don't let the recent rumors about the Arrow coaster removals scare you into thinking the coasters are going to be removed soon. More than likely still about 5+ years away from that ever happening. There's still plenty of parts floating around the chain from roughly 39 Arrow train cars (Orient Express trains in storage up in MI, Double Loop trains from Geauga somewhere at Cedar Point along with Corkscrew's 3rd train) and I think there's more uncomfortable, rougher ones that could go out first, like Anaconda at Kings Dominion than Vortex. I mean, it still has quite the large capacity for the park, and it could be staying until the next major coaster after 2014 before its removed.