TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Yeah, bunching it in with the kid coasters is over-exaggeration, it's just a ride that I think is a $20 million physical example of the word meh. KI already built one themed to Mini-Coopers instead of Cheetahs.

I will say that it was an excellent addition for Busch. When it comes down to what matters- getting people to the park- they couldn't have picked a better ride to build. Selfishly, since I'm not being payed to worry about Busch Gardens attendance figures, I wish I had actually liked the ride.

^ Not every ride needs to be "Top Thrill Dragster" and it's not going to be. I'm not sure how anyone could have gone into Cheetah Hunt expecting anything more than the "Family Thrill Ride" that Busch promoted it to be... and they promoted that tagline a LOT. It's not like they were Alton Towers telling people that Thirteen was going to be the most extreme ride ever, so extreme that it might kill old people, and then you find it's a roller skater with a frog hopper drop at the end.

Not trying to change your opinion or anything, but I just hate it when people seem to give a ride crap, that was correctly marketed and promoted, yet some people still want it to be something else.

Seriously, how you could NOT have known that Cheetah Hunt wasn't going to be more intense or thrilling than Kumba, Montu, or SheiKra??? And how can you not understand that with those three rides, Cheetah Hunt is *EXACTLY* what the park needed?

--Robb "I guess I'm just one who likes a good balance in rides, not just Top Thrill Dragsters around every corner..." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

^ Not every ride needs to be "Top Thrill Dragster" and it's not going to be. I'm not sure how anyone could have gone into Cheetah Hunt expecting anything more than the "Family Thrill Ride" that Busch promoted it to be... and they promoted that tagline a LOT.

--Robb "I guess I'm just one who likes a good balance in rides, not just Top Thrill Dragsters around every corner..." Alvey

Exactly--Busch Gardens Williamsburg used the same promotion strategy with Verbolten, and very few people left that ride disappointed. I like a nice balance of attractions, too.

King's Island is kind of a weird park since they have a very nice "kids" section in one corner of the park but not a lot of kids/family attractions located throughout the rest of the park (with a few exceptions obviously). I'd be all for a family friendly full sized coaster similar to Cheetah Hunt but the former SOB site may not be an ideal location for a ride like that.

Then again with Top Flight Gun Deck likely reaching the end of it's life span that whole section of the park might be a good spot for a large expansion that could possibly include multiple rides and an entirely new themed section so we'll see.

I've been going to Kings Island my whole life and even though most of the coasters aren't top 10 quality in my book I kind of feel like most people in that area who attend that park regularly every summer look at it as a thrill ride park, and attend for the coasters, so maybe a major thrill ride over a family coasters isn't the worst idea (just hope it doesn't suck).

I wasn't expecting anything other than a family coaster, and that's what it was. Again, selfishly, I just wish I had liked the ride more, that's all. As I wrote- I do think the ride is exactly what the park needed. I don't think they could have picked anything better in it's place.

I know Dragster was just an example you threw out there, but I'm not too wild about that one either. From the handful of times I've been there since it was built, 3 laps on the first visit was enough.

I'd be happy with an addition at any park that's at least as good as Cheetah Hunt, with a Maverick Killer being my ultimate dream come true. I don't recall finding Chunt more than vaguely disappointing, if at all, since I had already seen a lot of negative reviews. I actually compare it favorably to Maverick, even though it's significantly less intense.

Incidentally, it's the fairly-well-liked Backlot Stunt Coasters that are some of the few launchers (and even fewer Premiers) I don't care for.

I just saw that update on their Facebook page and was think that between Thunder Alley, SOB, and Top Gun whenever they finally remove that (it can't be long now) they have a HUGE chunk of land available for a nice expansion. Can't wait to see what they have planned but I sure hope it's more than just a single new coaster in that general area.

Well we all know Ki is getting a new expansion because they dont just remove 2 major thrill rides and 1 minor thrill for nothing. Or it could turn into a KK were they remove stuff and dont put anything in its place.

King's Island is kind of a weird park since they have a very nice "kids" section in one corner of the park but not a lot of kids/family attractions located throughout the rest of the park (with a few exceptions obviously). I'd be all for a family friendly full sized coaster similar to Cheetah Hunt but the former SOB site may not be an ideal location for a ride like that.

Then again with Top Flight Gun Deck likely reaching the end of it's life span that whole section of the park might be a good spot for a large expansion that could possibly include multiple rides and an entirely new themed section so we'll see.

I've been going to Kings Island my whole life and even though most of the coasters aren't top 10 quality in my book I kind of feel like most people in that area who attend that park regularly every summer look at it as a thrill ride park, and attend for the coasters, so maybe a major thrill ride over a family coasters isn't the worst idea (just hope it doesn't suck).

I agree with you but flight deck isnt near its end yet (proably around 5 to 10 years more) because it was the last arrow suspended built at 1993. Most suspended coasters last a good 25 years or more so i dont see the end yet. And also the contributing factor to Flight DecKs decline of popularity is SoB closed and got demolished in 2009 so theirs nothing back their to make corwds go back their.

^Yeah, Flight Deck is turning 20 this year, so they have at least 5 years on it. Besides, Flight Deck probably isn't as costly as BBW too.

I just realized Ninja at SFMM is turning 25 this year. Prepare for YOLOcoaster 2: The other side of the Mountain, for 2015. It will have a loop that is 170.001ft tall, to beat out Gatekeeper, but without being two expensive.

I don't see why Top Gun/Flight Deck should be removed. Is it costing them a lot of maintenance? I'd say it's the third or fourth best ride there. I still don't see how people call Diamondback forceless. I believe it has way stronger air than Goliath (SFOG) and Raging Bull. Sure, after the midcourse doesn't compare to the first half, but it packs a punch in the front and back. I would be happy with a Leviathan version but I'd be happier with anything Intamin.

KI is a family park so I just don't see them going with a giga. I could see a nicely themed Invert or as I said before the C-Hunt launch. It is probably too similar to Stunt Coaster so maybe they could do a couple inversions like I said earlier to make it more intense. As Robb said not every park is going for Top Thrill Dragster type rides and KI is so close to CP I don't see them going extreme any time soon. A lot of people in my area of Mason usually go up to CP every couple of years and there would not be a need to do that if KI built those type of coasters. Cedar Fair makes more money because even though I live 3 miles from KI, I drive 4 hours and pay to get into CP and so do many other people I know from around town.

I do think Flight Deck would get more popular if there was a good reason to go back there. I didn't like the way they did the entrance and line for SOB. I have a feeling there were others who didn't like it and that is why they tore out Thunder Alley to make that whole area more appealing once they do what ever they are going to do there.

Off topic, I think Busch Gardens has great coaster selection. C-Hunt is my 8 yr old daughters favorite coaster. She has 17 credits so far. My 6 year old loved Scorpion and I really enjoyed Sheikra. I think and hope that KI should strive to have a wide variety that fits all types just like BGT. I even think KI could use a Wild Mouse.

KI is a family park so I just don't see them going with a giga. I could see a nicely themed Invert or as I said before the C-Hunt launch. It is probably too similar to Stunt Coaster so maybe they could do a couple inversions like I said earlier to make it more intense. As Robb said not every park is going for Top Thrill Dragster type rides and KI is so close to CP I don't see them going extreme any time soon. A lot of people in my area of Mason usually go up to CP every couple of years and there would not be a need to do that if KI built those type of coasters. Cedar Fair makes more money because even though I live 3 miles from KI, I drive 4 hours and pay to get into CP and so do many other people I know from around town.

Wait, when did KI become a family park? CF built Firehawk, Diamondback, & Windseeker which wasn't built for the family audience. I can see KI getting a giga coaster as the parks are 3 1/2 hours apart from eachother and both are in different markets. SFOT & SFFT are about the same distance and I don't see either park affecting eachother (plus both SFOT & SFFT have Iron Horse tracked coasters). Also, CP & KI both got a Windseeker, so a giga coaster could be built at KI.

Wait, when did KI become a family park? CF built Firehawk, Diamondback, & Windseeker which wasn't built for the family audience. I can see KI getting a giga coaster as the parks are 3 1/2 hours apart from eachother and both are in different markets. SFOT & SFFT are about the same distance and I don't see either park affecting each other.

I agree with you that Kings Island isn't a "family park", but not for the reasons you've mentioned. If I'm not mistaken, Kings Island has always had a lack of attractions for kids and families. Planet Snoopy is definitely a step in the right direction. I am definitely in the crowd that would be happy to see a long Cheetah-Hunt style coaster. Kind of like a modernized, steel Beast.

(plus both SFOT & SFFT have Iron Horse tracked coasters)

I-Box. I-B-O-X. Get it right.

The park already seems to have the family coaster edge with Stunt Coaster and Top Gun. Not sure if they really could use a third one.

It would be nice to see a good cross between Maverick and Cheetah Hunt. They could even make it a pretty long ride to continue the Beast's legacy. Then again a giga/strata would be pretty neat for the park too.

^I would even add Racer to that list too. I see kids lining up for that ride a lot.

In fact, the whole coney mall section is pretty family friendly overall with its great selection of classic flats. Add to that rides like Viking Fury, the Carousel, and White Water Canyon, and one can see that there is at least one family ride in every section of the park except the Action Zone (unless you count Congo Falls as a family ride).

What would be REALLY cool to me is if Kings Island found a way to bring back an antique car ride. I was really upset when they took that out since it's a quintessential family ride for parks. I've heard that the park has all of its antique cars in storage, so it's possible.

I hope that KI does not build a Chunt clone. Almost "anything" else would be fine. I like a good balance of rides in a park and don't believe that everything has to be "extreme" to be fun. Some of my favorite coasters are not record breaking. I just think that people like CH because it was made by Intamin. I think that most people here would love a coaster that rolled down a straight track just because it was made by Intamin. I like rides that are good, not because they are built by a certain company. I rode CH knowing that most people thought it wasn't very good and even after riding it twice, I still thought it was one of the most boring things I had ever ridden. I personally like the Backlot Stunt Coasters better. In fact, the woodstock express coasters are better.

I just think that people like CH because it was made by Intamin. I think that most people here would love a coaster that rolled down a straight track just because it was made by Intamin. I like rides that are good, not because they are built by a certain company.

Or they may like it just because think it's a damn good ride--as I do.

You're entitled to your opinion, but you might want to be careful about making broad statements like this. And if you'd prefer to ride Woodstick Express to something like Cheetah Hunt, knock yourself out.

Edited by cfc

XYZ,

Firehawk and Windseeker are not extreme. To me an extreme ride is something the most kids and adults would be nervous or afraid to ride. My kids and their friends are not nervous to ride either of those unless they are afraid of heights. D-back & Drop Tower and maybe even Delerium I would put in the extreme ride category. Also I don't think it would be a big deal to have gigas within 3.5 hours I just don't think the park is geared that way. SFOGdude comments are why I think KI is a family park. Also taking out those cars was a huge bummer. It always had a wait and kids love that ride. They get so excited to drive a car. I think Congo falls is a family ride especially if you include the O deck. KI is not Disneyworld but I still think it is a family park.