TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

I got my plaque today...

First off, I thought it was expensive, but after a lot of thinking about it, I decided it was one of those things that I knew that if I got, it would always remind me of the time that I rode it on the super fun trip where it was the highlight that I described a few pages back, and if I didn't I would probably watch eBay or whatever constantly to get one in the future. I then found they were being limited to just 250, so I felt even more compelled... I still think the ride experience sucked, but that wasn't why I had positive memories of the ride.

I'm surprised by the actual plaque. It's much bigger than it appeared to be in pictures, with the piece of track probably around 1' by 1' in size. The track is also mounted about a half inch off the plaque itself, which makes it look really quite nice. The pictures seem to be printed on a printer, but look rather nice unless you look at them from an inch away when the one of the ride looks a little low res. It also came with a certificate of authenticity, which was wholly unnecessary - who is really going to try faking this? - but kind of nifty too.

The only negative is the bottom right part of mine has a sort of scratch / gouge, but after originally thinking about returning it I figured it gives it character. Number is 210 / 250. I'll try to take a picture of it sometime and post it. I'm rather happy with it overall, and it will happily go with the other random ride parts that I've acquired throughout the years.

I was there a while back, (I doubt I was more than 11 years old) and the ride was fairly new at that point. I didn't end up riding it, though I wish I had just gone for it. I am sure the ride was miserable, but it would have been nice to at least say I did. I was too much of a wimp back in the day, I guess.

I got my plaque today...

First off, I thought it was expensive, but after a lot of thinking about it, I decided it was one of those things that I knew that if I got, it would always remind me of the time that I rode it on the super fun trip where it was the highlight that I described a few pages back, and if I didn't I would probably watch eBay or whatever constantly to get one in the future. I then found they were being limited to just 250, so I felt even more compelled... I still think the ride experience sucked, but that wasn't why I had positive memories of the ride.

I'm surprised by the actual plaque. It's much bigger than it appeared to be in pictures, with the piece of track probably around 1' by 1' in size. The track is also mounted about a half inch off the plaque itself, which makes it look really quite nice. The pictures seem to be printed on a printer, but look rather nice unless you look at them from an inch away when the one of the ride looks a little low res. It also came with a certificate of authenticity, which was wholly unnecessary - who is really going to try faking this? - but kind of nifty too.

The only negative is the bottom right part of mine has a sort of scratch / gouge, but after originally thinking about returning it I figured it gives it character. Number is 210 / 250. I'll try to take a picture of it sometime and post it. I'm rather happy with it overall, and it will happily go with the other random ride parts that I've acquired throughout the years.

I have #143/250 and I must say... although over priced, it looks AMAZING on my office wall

The view from I-71 is sure different now!

I only made it to Son of Beast after the removal of the loop. Over the course of two visits, I rode it 3 or 4 times, and the spine-jackhammering just about did me in. I guess I'm happy I at least got that experience, though. That way, when people at work asked me "they're taking it down? was it really that bad?" ... I know how to answer.

Will be anxiously awaiting its replacement. KI could use something intense.

• 2 weeks later...

The park guide on this website is what I would look into. Only thing is I wouldn't make Flight Deck a priority even if it does have slow operations like the guide states. I personally would hit the slow loading ones before going to D-back or Beast. Go into the park and go left hit Invertigo first and both Firehawk and Flight of Fear get long slow lines so it is good to hit those early. If you avoid Saturday you probably could avoid getting a Fast Lane.

^^ In terms of food, if you have a Platinum Pass, the Back Yard BBQ is a great deal. It's all you can eat for $12, soft drinks included. If not, Panda Express, in the Fest Haus, will fill you up for $11. The cheese steaks by D-back are really good but overpriced.

My experiences are from 2011, when Fast Lane was more limited than it was this year. If you're into credits, hit up the kiddie section ASAP (the smallest coaster requires a child, but the other two don't). Then (or first thing) hightail it to a low-capacity ride like Invertigo. In fact, this may still be good advice even if some of those rides are on Fast Lane.

^ I know they have in the past, but I don't see anything on the website currently.

^^ The Platinum Pass ERT is awesome! As long as you're not there on a Saturday, you should be able to knock out Invertigo, the junior hang-and-bang, and 8-10 rides on Diamondback before the park even opens.

Unlike some other advice here Flight Deck is a must ride! While it may be short it packs one heck of a punch. And it almost never has a line except on busy days (begining of the season, Saturdays.) And you could reride it if any seat on the train is opeb. Me personally do not get a Fast lane because i got a gold pass and i visit their alot. Diamondback is an excellent b&m hyper. The Beast is coool as long as you dont ride a wheel seat in the back and its not retracked that year. FoF is a cool launched coaster but its one of the parks main attractions so it might have long lines. Firehawk is a Capacity nightmare the max youll wait on the busiest days are 3 hours if it breaks down which i does a lot. but its wqorth the wait to and hour and a half.

May 14 or 15 every ride will be a walk on and most you won't have to get off for several runs. I usually hit it up every weekday in May that I don't work. It is awesome. Last year I even got to stay on D-back a couple of times before someone came up to my seat forcing me off.

Also I agree don't skip Flight Deck but the park guide on this site says the ride is low capacity but it really doesn't matter because not many people make the long walk back there. I do like the ride. I even operated it for a year when it wrecked and they ran 1 train most of the year.

edit to add:

If the weather is nice Planet Snoopy will get a bit of a crowd because the preschoolers get out there but Flying Ace and Woodstock Express will still be short lines.

My first visit to the park was a Monday and Tuesday in May 2011. Every ride was a walk on and I even had solo rides on Flight Deck, Invertigo, Adventure Express, and The Beast. Fast Pass will not be necessary when you visit more than likely. Half the crowds were school groups that left between 2-3 anyway.

Unlike some other advice here Flight Deck is a must ride! While it may be short it packs one heck of a punch.

I completely agree. The last time I was at the park (before Diamondback opened) I thought it was the second best coaster in the park (after Flight of Fear). This ride is definitely a must ride, especially if they still have that short cut from the exit path that lets you re-ride without walking all the way back to the start of the queue.

I passed by Kings Island yesterday to take a look at the updated skyline.

That is so... depressing to say the least. I remember riding SOB in 09' with my cousins , loved that ride...it was just the roughness that hurt it. I remember calling it Son of a B**** after riding it because of the pain, and now I really miss that ride now. It looks like half of the park is missing without it. I'm also happy though, because this opens new doors to KI for an opportunity to something new and better.

So for Xmas yesterday, I got something pretty awesome--a piece of SOB's track. It's kinda special to me since it was the last roller coaster I was able to ride with my dad. We later found out he had a detached retina and couldn't ride anymore because he might go blind. Luckily, we got a non-wheel seat and it didn't kill us (my only ride where it didn't).

No matter how rough the ride was, it's a piece of roller coaster history and it's a really cool thing to have. Now KI just needs to build something halfway decent in that giant plot of land, and we'll be good.

BTW, that piece of track is damn heavy.