TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Vortex is a very good coaster. Its very iconic in the area and its not that painful. I will proably start a group on facebook called save vortex if they TAERED it down.

^But not if they "tore" it down?

^While we appreciate your feelings regarding the ride, I need to remind you that your posting style is currently not in line with our Terms of Service. Please use proper capitalization and punctuation in your posts from now on.

Having ridden Son of Beast during its time with the loop, I enjoyed it. Looking back at its troubled journey, I accept its demolition as a necessary step for the park to replace it with something more functional, more exciting and ultimately, less risky.

Edited by jedimaster1227

^I just shot them an email, so expect demolition to begin within the next few days.

Maybe they'll replace it with an over-produced light show with questionable choreography and cringe-worthy vocals.

Talking about tearing down a coaster.

Check this video out - http://telly.com/627VV From Greg Scheid's (GM of Kings Island) Twitter acount

Awesome...next up - Vortex and Flight Deck!!!

Actually, I wouldn't mind if they demolished all of the coasters at Kings Island except Beast and Diamondback.

I would be OK with Beast being demolished too! Probably the most overrated coaster I have been on IMO.

Edited by Jew

Talking about tearing down a coaster.

Check this video out - http://telly.com/627VV From Greg Scheid's (GM of Kings Island) Twitter acount

Awesome...next up - Vortex and Flight Deck!!!

Actually, I wouldn't mind if they demolished all of the coasters at Kings Island except Beast and Diamondback.

I would be OK with Beast being demolished too! Probably the most overrated coaster I have been on IMO.

I second that, really overhyped.

It was built in 1993.

Oh, right. How did I screw that math up?!? Am I allowed to use my "I'm an art student now" card right now?

Is Beast really that dull? It certainly looks more fun (and less painful) than that other coaster that goes on forever, The Ultimate.

Its still my favorite wooden coaster. I love terrain coasters and the way this one flies through the forest is amazing. Its kinda dull, but I like that because i can just enjoy the view and it whips through the trees. The last two helixes are still really intense and the ride gives amazing night rides. I cannot think of another coaster thats even close to this at night.

Others can probably elaborate better than I can, but I get the sense that Beast used to be a better coaster before the magnetic trims replaced the skid brakes in 03/04. I never got to ride before then but when I rode the new brakes brought the train to a dead stop in the brake shed and severely slowed it after the second lift before the helix. I've always had the impression that it sailed through these with minimal loss of speed in its original form.

The Beast may have been great in it's hay day but it sure is a boring coaster now. I rode it 2 years ago and it is great that it is an iconic coaster but it really does nothing but roam through the woods. As everyone else has been saying, the trims really kill the ride and the helix is the only fun part of the ride. The first drop was so boring because of the trims. I do like iconic coasters and the Beast was my 100th coaster but that is about all I can say for it.

Back in the day of the skid brakes, the ride seemed to be overall much faster. Now if it really was, I'm not sure. That said, the first drop felt like a real drop and more importantly, the second drop into the valley provided GREAT airtime. These days, there is nothing. Also, I feel like the magnetic trims in the midcourse brake shed stop you significantly more than the old days... maybe it's just my imagination because I highly doubt the speed has changed THAT much. Maybe it's just that the skids were much more gradual and not a "jerky" stop like the magnetics? That said, the final double helix is still insane. One advantage to the skid brakes was that you would get absolutely WILD rides if it had been/was raining.

This was the first year in almost 15 years I haven't been to KI, but I have heard that it was significantly better this year than the past decade or so because of some serious retracking. Also, a night ride on The Beast still provides one heckuva ride, especially when there is a chill in the air.