TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

If this turns out to be true, I really hope that KI expands Coney Mall outward through the site, perhaps bringing back a car ride or their flyers. Wishful thinking, but I'd love to see more family-friendly attractions over in that space. Right now, there's just a long path between Coney Mall and Rivertown, with the only ride being Backlot Stunt Coaster because of Vortex's location. If they do add a new coaster, I'd like to see it further out towards the perimeter of the park.

First Son of Beast, Wildcat, and Disaster Transport and now Vortex and Anaconda, looks like Cedar Fair is slowly losing all their rough or old coasters and gaining new, revolutionary coasters.

Nobody ever said that was a bad thing .

Yeah, I have no problem with this, either--and I've never even ridden Wildcat or Disaster Transport.

I never said I wasn't happy with it either. It just means I won't be in pain if I ever decide to go to those parks. All they need to do now is to get ride of Mean Streak.

Re-tracking the ride each season = it's here to stay. Although stranger things have happened, the Rattler just recently received topper track, now its getting the Iron horse treatment. I just hope Vortex stays awhile longer, when I'm old and dire, I wonder what my kids would think of such a coaster?

I personally LOVE Vortex!!!!!!! I went to Kings Island for the first time Memorial Day weekend 2012 and I rode this coaster about 10 times over two days. I did not find it rough at all and think it is one of the best Arrow coasters I have ever ridden. But then again I rarely find coasters rough that others do. I always just let my body fall with a ride and rarely get a head ache or bruises from any ride. I just never hold on tight so my body can go where its being directed to go.

I rode the ride when I was a kid and I loved it! Of course, the ride was smooth back in the early 90's and going upside down 6 times was still quite the novelty. Have never been back, but I am sure I wouldn't have the same opinion of the ride nowadays.

Hasn't Kings Island been rumored to get a B&M Invert forever now!?!? At least since CF bought out Paramount. It would fit great in that area!

That would truly be excellent. There is a surprising amount of terrain there that could really be utilized on an Invert.

An invert (and I dare say floorless) will bring something new and unique to the park, they thought Inverigo was a trip. Just wait to you ride a Beemer invert........ohh wait, Forceless: The Ride.

Have you been on a Batman Clone? I find B:TR at SFGAm to be very forceful, and one of my favorite B&M rides around.

Fine with me as long as they bring back The Bat to replace it.

I'll miss Vortex if they do remove it. I think it's the best of the Arrow mega loopers and it never felt as uncomfortable as Viper and others.

An invert (and I dare say floorless) will bring something new and unique to the park, they thought Inverigo was a trip. Just wait to you ride a Beemer invert........ohh wait, Forceless: The Ride.

Have you been on a Batman Clone? I find B:TR at SFGAm to be very forceful, and one of my favorite B&M rides around.

Name a recent B&M invert that isn't forceless (post 2004)

Diamondback & X-Flight both

Those are Hyper and Wing Coasters, not Inverts.

And out of all the reviews, it seems Wing Riders (so-far) aren't meant for the forces (many say they hardly have any). They are just fun "wing riding" coasters.

Although I have yet to ride one so I shouldn't judge them to harsh.

Sorry, I must have read right over the "invert" in that sentence. I would have to agree that when rides like Montu and Raptor are Juxtaposed with Batman The Ride, they are very tame.

As to the extent which wing-riders lack forces, I would have to say X-Flight has really decent forces, especially in the latter half of the train.

Ive ridden Vortex a few times when Ive been to Kings Island. I have a love/hate relationship with it. On one hand, the loops are very rough, but at the same time it has a lot of character. I might just be a bit of an Arrow fanboy, but I really enjoy the aesthetic aspects of the ride. I will definitely be sad if it goes even though itl likely be replaced by something much more ride-able.

-Kafka-

Just last Saturday Kings Island posted this on facebook: "The Vortex gave 1,120,052 rides during its 25th anniversary season in 2012, fourth-most in the park." The three rides at KI that had more riders were: Diamondback- 1.8m, Racer- 1.4m, and Beast- 1.4m. Vortex is a very popular ride. Eventually it will be removed from Kings Island, but not anytime soon. Anaconda on the other hand I could see leaving soon. I don't know the numbers, but I'd assume it was one of the lowest ridden major rides at Kings Dominion.

^They probably mean declining popularity by the line today VS the line from when I was a kid and extended to Racers entrance!

I must say I LOVE Vortex and if it leaves, I will miss it greatly. For some reason, it's the one ride I get off of and say, THAT was a... Rollercoaster.... (I know that may not make much sense). Has to do with the now classic feel and only slight bumpiness. I also ride Vortex multiple times while at Kings Island and I've only had about 2 unbearable rides on it. My height poses a serious problem sitting in the back half of any arrow looping car!

I knew the day would come when the Arrow Custom Loopers would be on their last legs, but didn't think it'd be this early. I thought Vortex was a pretty great Arrow when I rode it this summer for the first time. (Would of rode it last year, but was during the time the chain broke and was waiting on a replacement.) Didn't think it was too rough, but the main part I was worried about was the dirty water sitting in the bottom of the train getting all of me.

With the rumor that the Cedar Fair Corkscrews also might be on the chopping block, is kind of confusing for me, but I can understand those as they were built in the late 70's. Parts shouldn't be too much of an issue as Cedar Fair has a few of those Arrow trains laying around still.

Even though the layout for those are pretty much a "RCT-style" element construction, they show the technology used in those days and sadly some of them I know aren't holding up very well. The track construction is probably what's going to do these Arrows in, having the tubing all bent on site, instead of being pre-built inside a factory with exact measurements. I really wish that there would be a possibility that a company would come forward and do a complete track replacement and/or re-profiling for the Arrow coasters. Chance has the highest probability with them being the ones that finished Phantom's Revenge track replacement in 2009 after they bought Morgan. At least with wooden coasters, their track can be replaced as needed, no matter if the original company comes out and does it or not, but seems like with steel, once the track is in place, it's stays there until it's removed.

The day that I walk into a park that has an Arrow coaster and I don't hear that distinct anti-rollback clank going up the lift, will pretty much end an era of roller coasters in my book.