TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

I don't know how Batwing operates today since i haven't been to Six Flags America in 8 years but back then Batwing's seat would start to raise as they were entering the station.

On Batwing, the electrical rails that used to run from the station to the top of the lift which the GAUs would engage have been removed so its no longer possible for the train to recline on the lift. I have personally ridden Batwing when it would depart the station in the upright position and then recline as the train started ascending the lift... It was much more comfortable than being on your back. When the train re-entered the station each car would being raising up as it engaged the rails in the station. It was pretty cool to watch but it just was not consistent. (Again, I guess becasue of loose wires or the GAUs not engaging the rails like they were supposed to each time.) So I imagine you would get some instances where a trail would be stopped on the lift because a fault involving some of the cars not reclining would arise or some the cars not raising back up when the train re-enters the station.

I think that a system similar to the way 4d coasters work would be a fix. An additional rail on each side of the track that runs from the top of the lift to the brake run that a wheel, attached to each car, similar to the ones on Firehawk (that engage those mechanical lifting platforms) would guide along.... and depending on the position of the additional rails relative to the actual track, it would determine the position of the car (either raised up or fully reclined).

I'm guessing it still slows down almost to a full stop? I can't remember for sure from when I was there back in July, but I know it either fully stopped or came pretty darn close to stopping.

When I also went to the park in July, it was still coming to a near-stop on the block, but last Friday, it wasn't slowing the train down any more than a normal block brake would. It was nowhere near as close to the full stop it would make in the past.

For our last ride of the day on Saturday, we decided to ride Drop Tower... As soon as we got into the fastpass lane, I looked up to see this. The catch car had stopped itself midway down with one of the large cables dangling. The pictures don't quite do the justice, the cable could be seen through the entire park. When they told everyone to exit the lines, I noticed that the ride's control panel was flashing on and off, thinking to me maybe it had auto e-stopped itself. Interesting for sure, and scary!

Something that caught me off guard was that I noticed several park employees get their cell phones out and snap picture Clearly showing this isn't something you see too often!

Excuse the picture angles, I couldn't seem to find somewhere to rotate them

1708147831_Screenshot2012-10-29at3_34_06PM.png.a898940f41cb0b059f1f85318ba6cb8b.png

You can see how the cable seemed to twist and dangled over the catch car

671018153_Screenshot2012-10-29at3_35_24PM.png.ae9859e388b859e05e68f0b9fe27425d.png

The cable was very obviously out of place

1061640516_Screenshot2012-10-29at3_36_31PM.png.c105d51b8dea5d2dd1f9332867b9630e.png

1996314288_Screenshot2012-10-29at3_37_03PM.png.c9d69e4e33956e83efed1af660bc2955.png

1346022788_Screenshot2012-10-29at3_37_29PM.png.9bd2727fad1e95411363cb704b66d811.png

Haunt mazes were much better last night than earlier this month. For a Saturday night, last weekend crowd I got to ride every coaster and 7/12 haunts.

Wow, I had no idea that they have 12 haunts at Kings Island for this event, don't know if they are any good but that's an impressive number nonetheless.

Great pictures! I first rode Firehawk as Stealth at CGA, but I don't remember how the seats were raised. I remember waiting over 2 hours for it, and thinking that while it was slow, it was pretty amazing and unique. Now, not so much.

Actually, Stealth went to Carowinds as BORG Assimilator and is now Nighthawk. Firehawk came from Geauga Lake.

http://www.screamscape.com/html/industry_news.htm#CedarFair

According to an anonymous spy source, Cedar Fair is said to making plans to retire Vortex at Kings Island (1987) and Anaconda at Kings Dominion (1991) sometime in the next few years. Apparently they seem to believe that these two old Arrow coasters may be close to reaching the end of their practical lifespan, mixed with issues like increasing maintenance costs and declining guest popularity.

New rumor states vortex and anaconda may be retired soon hope this isn't true.

Edited by robbalvey

Hmm. I did like Vortex a little...Anaconda and most similar rides, however, are just kinda "there."

No great loss to me or most of the enthusiast community, though. The real question, of course, is what improvements will crop up in place of these rides.

Vortex is one of those rides that I have a true love/hate relationship with. I'll ride it, and I'll enjoy the fun airtime-filled first drop, and then the two loops hit, give me a few good knocks to my head/neck, and by the MCBR I'm like "Get me off this thing!!"

I admit, though. I would be sad to see it go, but it is an old coaster that's probably about ready to approach its deathbed.

As far as what would replace it, I could see everything from a mid-sized B&M Invert to a GCI woodie to a large-scale family coaster like Cheetah Hunt. You could put a myriad of rides in that spot and it would work. It's a good piece of land.

I rode Vortex twice, once in front, once in the back. I wouldn't miss it if it was scrapped. It has some OK moments but it is an example of why heartlined track is a good idea.

Flight Deck, their Arrow swinging suspended coaster, was delightful. I enjoyed it almost as much as Diamondback (almost).

Delirium was better than a lot of coasters. I'd love to see Giant Frisbees more widespread than they are.

I last rode Vortex in 2007 and it was so brutal it left me with one of those day long headaches where you feel like you did real permanent damage. I do hope it's taken out and soon.

Hasn't Kings Island been rumored to get a B&M Invert forever now!?!? At least since CF bought out Paramount. It would fit great in that area!

I rode Vortex twice, once in front, once in the back. I wouldn't miss it if it was scrapped. It has some OK moments but it is an example of why heartlined track is a good idea.

Flight Deck, their Arrow swinging suspended coaster, was delightful. I enjoyed it almost as much as Diamondback (almost).

Delirium was better than a lot of coasters. I'd love to see Giant Frisbees more widespread than they are.

Kennywood, and Camden Park had the right Idea . I think every park needs a Screamin' Swing and a giant Frisbee. Screamin' Swing = Pops of airtime. Giant Frisbee = OMFG-WTF-CRAZY ride. Seems CF might be in some-type of contract with B&M, seeing all these relatively cheap coasters pop up repeatedly makes me thing KI is next . An invert (and I dare say floorless) will bring something new and unique to the park, they thought Inverigo was a trip. Just wait to you ride a Beemer invert........ohh wait, Forceless: The Ride.

I've never had what I would consider a "brutal" ride on Vortex but it is getting a little old and something new (invert, wing rider, crazy custom flyer) would be a welcome addition.

For me Vortex in the last car still has one of the best first drops around.