TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

I was kind of joking about the where ya from and where does it rank thing, but thanks for all the feed back! I've always just found it interesting much of a love/hate relationship a lot of enthusiasts have with the Beast. Everyone I know from Ohio are Beast fanatics but most enthusiasts I know have it as either a top 3 or no where near the top 20 kind of ride.

While it's personally one of my favorite coasters for nostalgic reasons it's no where near as good as it once was, and I'd be all for some type of extensive overhaul with additional ride features, new trains maybe even an extended layout to make the longest coaster in the world again. Not that it's a bad ride now, I just think with some of the advances in modern design it could be an incredible experience once again.

Other than the night ERT on Leviathon at the CW bash, the night ride I had on Beast a few weeks ago was the most fun I've had on a coaster this year. I guess we might have just caught it on a good night, but it sure seemed to be flying and out of control like it's old self while not totally kicking your ass like SoB. While I won't rank it in my top three wooden coasters, it's definitely in my top ten.

I couldn't imagine how fun it might be to do night ERT on the Beast during a TPR visit...might even be epic! Water challenge? Although that's an awful long time to try and hold a cup of water!

I'm from Maryland and when I visited KI for the first time a few years ago (back when SOB was running and still had the loop) I had a positive impression of the Beast. I really don't know where it would rank in my faves list for woodies (or coasters in general) as I have a tough time ranking them, but suffice to say I'm not sure it would make my top 10. What I really did like about it was the great use of the terrain and the way that most of the coaster is hidden by the woods (and that it's pitch black back there at night and that adds to the ride immensely for night riding). I wasn't real keen on the rough spots, as I also remember looking like someone kicked me in the ribs over and over again when I got back home a couple of days later.

IMO in this case it's like real estate (and likewise layout) - location, location, location - is what makes this ride. I'd imagine the Beast wouldn't be anywhere near as legendary had it been built next to a parking lot on a flat, open field.

The Beast IMO was not too great when I rode it (2007) it could be because it was before the retracking. Also I think some modern advancements could help the ride be better like Rocky Mountain Topper Track so they can remove or lessen the trims and new trains from GCI, Gravity Group, or Rocky Mountain.

The Beast IMO was not too great when I rode it (2007) it could be because it was before the retracking. Also I think some modern advancements could help the ride be better like Rocky Mountain Topper Track so they can remove or lessen the trims and new trains from GCI, Gravity Group, or Rocky Mountain.

Our Millennium Flyer trains may be available for existing wooden roller coasters that meet Great Coasters' strict standards for track and structure condition, as well as acceptable dynamic profiles. We are available to assess these conditions and help you with any necessary improvements that may be required in order to make your coaster fly.

I doubt Beast can be re-constructed in GCI's strict standards as it would be too expensive for the length of the Beast. Also, I never seen a non-GCI coaster get Millennium Flyer trains, so I wouldn't expect Beast to ever get GCI trains.

I just realized that two rides at two Cedar Fair parks that both opened in 2000 are being torn down in 2012. RIP Son of Beast and Perilous Plunge.

Rest In Peace? Both of these attractions were maintenance nightmares. I think the ones that are resting in peace are the Cedar Fair Management team & and the people that had to do the upkeep on the rides.

I just realized that two rides at two Cedar Fair parks that both opened in 2000 are being torn down in 2012. RIP Son of Beast and Perilous Plunge.

^ Dear Guy,

NICE!!

What I find funny about that is the fact that every time I went to Knotts or KI those attractions were always closed..... ....blessing in disguise?

That thing collapsed like a pile of tooth pics! I guess they cut the structure in some strategic places, otherwise it would not have fallen as fast. Then again, it is Son of Beast, with its "less-than-ideal" structure that's been sitting dormant for 3 years.

Edit: It also looks like the rumors of a large coaster taking SoB's spot are persisting.

From Screamscape

2014 - New Coaster - Rumor - (10/2/12) While we really haven’t heard much at all regarding plans for Kings Island in 2013, the early rumors suggest that the park will be getting a very large and expensive new coaster experience for the 2014 season.