TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

^ From what I've read, this distance thing has been a problem before for CW, back when they wanted to build Flight Deck. They had plans with B&M, but B&M had to pull out because of the clause, after building Raptor at CP a year earlier. CW ended up going with Vekoma. But from what I also understand, CW tried to work with CP to try and come up with some kind of exception to the clause, but CP refused. That leads me to believe that Cedar Fair has some say about how the clause is upheld, and now with them owning CP and KI, well, and CW for that matter, that they could say "hey, we want an invert in KI." And arn't clauses like that normally for a set period of year, and not indefinite? Most company's I've heard of ever agreeing to such terms almost never do it on an indefinite period. I could understand a ten year block on similar rides.

Now, I've havnt seen or read anything about Leviathan being built by B&M because of the clause. Could it be that I'm underestimating CF and the whole clause? Yup, I'm often wrong . But is it possible CF just chose B&M to build Leviathan for any number of other reason we don't know about? I don't see why not...

Edit: And kunpc1 already beat me to my point lol!

What you write about Flight Deck was confirmed by park managemenr at Leviathan Bash.

However, your point about why Canada's Wonderland contracted for Leviathan from B&M is pure speculation and has nothing to due with an exclusivity agreement. Exclusivity agreements are done on a corporate level. Now whether Cedar Fair told Canada's Wonderland that they couldn't get an Intamin is a slightly different story. That would be corporate politics. But park management stated at Leviathon Bash that based on the success of Behemoth they choose the go with something they knew would be popular with the patrons.

So while building a B&M invert is the past my have been a problem at Kings Island due to exclusivity agreements, it is not the case today

Edited by larrygator

^ From what I've read, this distance thing has been a problem before for CW, back when they wanted to build Flight Deck. They had plans with B&M, but B&M had to pull out because of the clause, after building Raptor at CP a year earlier. CW ended up going with Vekoma. But from what I also understand, CW tried to work with CP to try and come up with some kind of exception to the clause, but CP refused. That leads me to believe that Cedar Fair has some say about how the clause is upheld, and now with them owning CP and KI, well, and CW for that matter, that they could say "hey, we want an invert in KI." And arn't clauses like that normally for a set period of year, and not indefinite? Most company's I've heard of ever agreeing to such terms almost never do it on an indefinite period. I could understand a ten year block on similar rides.

Now, I've havnt seen or read anything about Leviathan being built by B&M because of the clause. Could it be that I'm underestimating CF and the whole clause? Yup, I'm often wrong . But is it possible CF just chose B&M to build Leviathan for any number of other reason we don't know about? I don't see why not...

Edit: And kunpc1 already beat me to my point lol!

What you write about Flight Deck was confirmed by park managemenr at Leviathan Bash.

However, your point about why Canada's Wonderland contracted for Leviathan from B&M is pure speculation and has nothing to due with an exclusivity agreement. Exclusivity agreements are done on a corporate level. Now whether Cedar Fair told Canada's Wonderland that they couldn't get an Intamin is a slightly different story. That would be corporate politics. But park management stated at Leviathon Bash that based on the success of Behemoth they choose the go with something they knew would be popular with the patrons.

So while building a B&M invert is the past my have been a problem at Kings Island due to exclusivity agreements, it is not the case today

Thanks for clearing some things up A lot of these park politics are a bit beyond me sometimes, but I can see the need for them. I didn't think the exclusive clause effected the parks anymore because they are all owned by CF now, but reading my post back, it seemed a little more muddled then I would have liked.

And on another note, I'm sure whatever KI and CF decide to do with the area will be what they think is in the best interest of the park. Nothing we can do but sit back and relax until they decide to clue the rest of us in on their plans

Hopefully this doesn't get buried too quickly...

I was thinking about making a trip to KI next Sunday, Aug. 26. I'm not sure when school starts down there, but if its the same as around herein Columbus, it'd be next week some time. That being said, with it being a Sunday after school has started, would the Fast Lane be a good idea? I haven't been to the park for a few years, so I'm not sure how busy it is on a Sunday this time of the year.

^It really depends on what you want to do and how long you're willing to wait in lines. Even if the park was 'quiet' you know there will be long lines for the flyer, invertigo, etc. I'd rather not wait and go for the Fast Lane. You can always go first, see how the crowds are and then decide on Fast Lane.

I live across I-71 from KI. Sundays seem to be small crowds. I also think that Fast Lane at KI is not needed because the longest lines are usually 30 minutes.(except sat.) Sunday mornings are great becuase I think many are at church and the crowds usually arrive later or never arrive. The last 3 Sundays I went at around 7pm and most rides are walk ons especially in the action zone. For some reason Flight of Fear is always a 30 minute wait no matter when I go so you might hit that early am and while there hit Firehawk since that usually crawls. Also that Sunday park closes at 8.

You can always go first, see how the crowds are and then decide on Fast Lane.

That's probably what I'll end up doing. If lines aren't outrageous, I don't mind waiting, but I'd want to get the passes if its going to be a busy day. I'd rather not spend the money beforehand and find out that I won't need them that day.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the park today, and I have a few observations to share.

Last time I was at KI, almost 3 years ago now, I was too fat for Diamondback, so today was the first time I've ridden it. For me, its definitely the best ride in the park, with Beast still a close second. However, it's really a shame that it's developed that much of a rattle in only 3 years. It's not bad enough to take away from the awesomeness, but it's definitely noticeable, especially coming out of the hammerhead.

The Beast seems to be running better this year than it has in the past. Don't get me wrong, it'll still throw you around, but it seems to be better than I remember.

Windseeker it really a great ride. It's not particularly intense, but it's a lot of fun.

Invertigo looks great with the new paint. It'd just a shame it still rides like a Vekoma, though...

Will be there over the weekend, although with the remnants of Isaac possibly hitting the area on Saturday night/Sunday, it's possible that crowds might not be as bad as if it's 80 and sunny.

Haven't been to the park on Labor Day weekend since I was a teen and it was rainy and miserable then too. That was well before CF owned it though and they ran all coasters and rides in the park in the mist anyway so we just dressed in rain suits...probably not now though?

Looking forward to it anyway...despite what may happen with the weather!

Yes since Cedar Fair bought the park they did change some things that made me wonder. If mist and rain make the rides unsafe to run there is a design flaw. These rides ran for years without problems in the rain. Heck Top Gun blew through the brakes on a dry day not a rainy day.(and my first week I worked there) The Beast never burned down during the fireworks from 1979 to 2007 but Cedar Fair decided to shut the ride down during fireworks. Nobody ever died on Racer running backwards or with a 44" height requirement. Oh well I am sure this has been covered on this forums. I am the new guy with a 45" son and can't ride Adventure Express or Racer because of the height requirement changes and I am still bitter about it. I'll be there Friday at noon anyway.

Yes since Cedar Fair bought the park they did change some things that made me wonder. If mist and rain make the rides unsafe to run there is a design flaw. These rides ran for years without problems in the rain. Heck Top Gun blew through the brakes on a dry day not a rainy day.(and my first week I worked there) The Beast never burned down during the fireworks from 1979 to 2007 but Cedar Fair decided to shut the ride down during fireworks. Nobody ever died on Racer running backwards or with a 44" height requirement. Oh well I am sure this has been covered on this forums. I am the new guy with a 45" son and can't ride Adventure Express or Racer because of the height requirement changes and I am still bitter about it. I'll be there Friday at noon anyway.

Insurance probably.

Yes since Cedar Fair bought the park they did change some things that made me wonder. If mist and rain make the rides unsafe to run there is a design flaw. These rides ran for years without problems in the rain.

The Beast (with skidbrakes) in the rain and snow, April 1, 1989; The Beast 10th anniversary party. The only time I ever rode a coaster in the snow. It was cold and wet as heck - I remember not being able to feel my feet at one point. But as a 15 yo coaster geek who didn't get to ride coasters too often, it was a day in paradise for me!

558327_214956578629982_871582760_n.jpg

^^Well, Screamscape has already posted a rumor about what might replace it in the future. Sounds like they may add another hyper or even a giga in that area. I myself picture a large i305-style coaster there. That would be sick.

2014 - New Coaster - Rumor - (8/28/12) The latest rumor for Kings Island’s next big coaster says that we can expect to see something very large rise up in 2014 on the Son of Beast site. No word on just what kind of ride it may be just yet.

I love how people hear the words "very large', and jump straight to "Giga." Man, the rumor doesn't even mention a coaster at all. Are all very large rides now Giga's?

Edit: While it mentions a coaster in the rumor, it seems to me more like he heard "very large" in the area and jumped to the conclusion that it would be a coaster. And while it probably will be, I'm just gonna refer back to the ever changing Giga rumors he's been posting for the last year for Knott's and say take it all with a grain of salt.

As for as SoB, I was there on Friday and have seen no work at all. I live across the street and see it everyday I leave my hood. I will post if I see anything being torn down. Anyway that is a lame rumor. A 12 year kid could say that. Of course they are going to do something in that spot. You have a 50/50 chance to say it will be large. The original press release stated something like they were making room for future expansion. I am thinking they are going to wait until season over before taking it down.

Love the picture of Beast in snow.

I saw it from firehawk and saw about 5 trucks parked inside the rode bowl. I'm telling the truth. Just cause im 12 dosent mean that i can' say i saw something. Why would i lie anyway. What personal gain would i get from lying? ASide from that cant wait for haunt this season with the crypt makeover!

As for as SoB, I was there on Friday and have seen no work at all. I live across the street and see it everyday I leave my hood. I will post if I see anything being torn down. Anyway that is a lame rumor. A 12 year kid could say that. Of course they are going to do something in that spot. You have a 50/50 chance to say it will be large. The original press release stated something like they were making room for future expansion. I am thinking they are going to wait until season over before taking it down.

I was just talking about the rumor. I actual did not even notice your age. Sorry if I offended you. I was just making the point that even someone with no "insider" info could guess that KI was going to put something in the place of SoB. I would say the trucks would be engineers or people preparing the site for the tear down. Just a guess though. I really have no clue. Like a 12 year old. Just kidding!!

Thats what I meant, I know it has been closed for four seasons!

I love how people hear the words "very large', and jump straight to "Giga." Man, the rumor doesn't even mention a coaster at all. Are all very large rides now Giga's?

Edit: While it mentions a coaster in the rumor, it seems to me more like he heard "very large" in the area and jumped to the conclusion that it would be a coaster. And while it probably will be, I'm just gonna refer back to the ever changing Giga rumors he's been posting for the last year for Knott's and say take it all with a grain of salt.

I was just dreaming. Whatever goes there will be better than Son of Beast. That's for sure.