TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Kings Island is my home park by my God they need some quality rides. They literally need 2-3 coasters more just to get on the map as far as I'm concerned. They need something with smooth inversions maybe a wing rider or B&M invert to replace flight deck. Also I would love to see a Dragster clone if they could afford it. Finally I would invest in either a rocky mountain reimagining of the beast or perhaps a new schools wooden.

They need to replace Vortex with a inverted BM and call it the Bat. Don't touch the Beast, unless they can replace the trains with more comfortable ones. (Hmmm...have GCI retrack so they'll allow KI to run their unique trains on it the Beast?) New trains and retracking on the Racers so they have one go backwards (Surely one of the manufacturers can build a train that seats people backwards?).

Build a spinning coaster somewhere in Coney Island. See if itamin could build a double ferris wheel with secure seating (I'm thinking horse collar type--over the shoulder restraints.), that would allow it to go around fast and let certain seats flip upside down. Put where the Flight Commander use to be. Then put in a screaming swing.

After they remove the SOB, replace it with a Maverick clone. Move the BLSC over there and re name and re theme it. Tear out the Crypt, and put the antique cars back in. Relocate lots of trees and then visit Dollyworld to see how to theme a 'frontier area'--including the food. Build a themed log flume that interacts with Diamond Back and has tunnels.

Later on down the road, let RMC build an SOB like Outlaw run in the woods behind the racers. Replace Flight Deck with a wing rider.

After that, replace FireHawk with a BM flier. Retheme area to a 'Hanger 52 theme'. Lots of glowing aliens, maybe add a dark ride if they can afford it after all this.

As a longtime Kings Island fan who rode the racers at the age of five the year they opened, this would would be my realistic 5 to 10yr plan to revitalize KI to what it should be, while honoring it's rich past traditions.

Okay, this is just as bad as the one you quoted. Maybe even worse.

First off, with the Diamondback/log flume, they already have a perfectly good log flume built in "Race For Your Life Charlie Brown." They don't need to have another.

Next, a Maverick clone? First we have someone mentioning a TTD clone, but a Maverick clone? Are we seriously trying to turn Kings Island into Cedar Island/Kings Point?

And if anything, the RMC would go in SoB's location.

And why replace Flight Deck with a WingRider? This would also turn KI into CI/KP. As said above, Flight Deck is a part of a dying breed. We should keep it until it really is necessary for removal for maintenance costs, etc.

And removing Firehawk for a B&M flyer. This one doesn't make sense either. It is just replacing one perfectly good Vekoma Flying Dutchman with a brand new B&M. Nothing more except a waste of money. Oh, doesn't Flight of Fear already have a Hangar 52 theme?

This plan is definitely not realistic for 5-10 years. 4 major coasters in 10 years? No way. And how does adding four very modern coasters honor the past traditions?

Realistic plan? More like a fanboy dream.

I'd like to see KI somehow fix The Beast so they don't have to use those trims anymore or to get a smaller wooden coaster that packs a good punch like American Thunder or Prowler does

It always had trims or it would have torn itsself apart by now. They'd have to redesign it to take out the trims. But I have ridden it when it was raining before the magnetic breaks and agree it was the best ride ever on it. But even trimmed, the Beast delivers a powerful punch. Part of the charm is it feels like it wants to break free and deliver a wild, out of control, ride.

I agree, technology is now capable of delivering some great woodies, IE: El Toro, Balder Dash, and the Voyage, but the Beast is still a great coaster whose classical age shouldn't be held against it.

Okay, this is just as bad as the one you quoted. Maybe even worse.

First off, with the Diamondback/log flume, they already have a perfectly good log flume built in "Race For Your Life Charlie Brown." They don't need to have another.

Next, a Maverick clone? First we have someone mentioning a TTD clone, but a Maverick clone? Are we seriously trying to turn Kings Island into Cedar Island/Kings Point?

And if anything, the RMC would go in SoB's location.

And why replace Flight Deck with a WingRider? This would also turn KI into CI/KP. As said above, Flight Deck is a part of a dying breed. We should keep it until it really is necessary for removal for maintenance costs, etc.

And removing Firehawk for a B&M flyer. This one doesn't make sense either. It is just replacing one perfectly good Vekoma Flying Dutchman with a brand new B&M. Nothing more except a waste of money. Oh, doesn't Flight of Fear already have a Hangar 52 theme?

This plan is definitely not realistic for 5-10 years. 4 major coasters in 10 years? No way. And how does adding four very modern coasters honor the past traditions?

Realistic plan? More like a fanboy dream.

Before Paramount got a hold of it and almost destroyed it, KI had a reputation for bringing the latest thrill innovations to the park, and they were a major player in the first round of The Coaster Wars. The Racers started the second golden age of wooden coasters. They built the Beast in 1978, The Screamin Demon (Arrow shuttler coaster), The Bat (first suspended coaster) in 1981, The King Cobra (first stand-up coaster), and the Vortex (At the time, set a record for most inversions).

And even though it is in Ohio, KI is at the bottom of the state and has it's own market. I would love to see it return to being a major player in the current coaster wars, while retaining it's reputation as a family park and restoring the theming to the theme park it was meant to be.

KI had two log flumes shortly after it opened in 1972 and with all the new technology, I'm sure they could come up with a world class flume to replace the one the lost to the crypt.

I have never made it outside the USA, but I have tried quite a few coaster types, and I believe that the Inverted BM and the Maverick type (mega-lite with LSM's and more than 90 degree drop) are the best coasters out there to ride. They don't have to be record breaking, but both with greatly add to what is a rather sad line-up of coasters. I'll take those two over anything else including a I-305 clone. And with the failure of the 200 ft SOB, Kings Island desperately needs to reclaim it's proud tradition in wooden roller coaster innovation. Something like the Outlaw Run, but set in the woods like the Beast, would be a great way to get that back. I don't know if they intend to re-theme Action Zone, but the RMC doesn't fit the theming.

I'm not saying you have to replace Flight Deck, but I would. The concept was flawed and then made extinct by the Inverted coaster. If you have to walk back that far to ride a coaster, then it ought to be one of the park's top coasters.

The Firehawk is maintenance nightmare and all you have to do is ride a BM flier, to see what a piece of crap it is.

So no...I'm not a fanboy, but a rollercoaster enthusiast who would love to see his favorite park restored and become a major player in the coaster wars again. Ohio can handle having two players.

Edited by apatos99

^^ I rode it back in 2008 and thought it was pretty good, but I heard that last year or this year they did something to it that made it seem sluggish.

The magnetic breaks grab more than the skid breaks. You don't get thrown into the side of the car as much, and you don't shoot up the 2nd lift hill as far. It does depend on when you ride it. In the afternoon, when the grease gets hot, it really delivers.

Before Paramount got a hold of it and almost destroyed it, KI had a reputation for bringing the latest thrill innovations to the park, and they were a major player in the first round of The Coaster Wars. The Racers started the second golden age of wooden coasters. They built the Beast in 1978, The Screamin Demon (Arrow shuttler coaster), The Bat (first suspended coaster) in 1981, The King Cobra (first stand-up coaster), and the Vortex (At the time, set a record for most inversions).

And even though it is in Ohio, KI is at the bottom of the state and has it's own market. I would love to see it return to being a major player in the current coaster wars, while retaining it's reputation as a family park and restoring the theming to the theme park it was meant to be.

I'm one who misses the days when it seemed like KI and CP were friendly rivals, often one-upping each other. Case in point 1987 KI added Vortex and CP added Iron Dragon - KI wins. Then in 1991 KI adds Adventure Express and CP adds Mean Streak - CP wins. Now with Ohio being a CF monopoly KI has somewhat lost what made it special.

In reference to fanboy dreams, and KI is my favorite Ohio park, I would like to see them add more to their flat ride count over adding another major coaster for the time bieng. Windseeker was a step in the right direction. I have always felt that Coney Mall needed a few more filler rides. Even if it's a basic Musik Express, a swing bob, a suspended Top Spin like Firefall at Kings Dominion (as a replacement for Crypt), and/or bring a Larson Flying Scooters in, and as unmarketable as they may be, they sure would help with adding rides the family could ride together. Skylab's old location next to Racer and the former Flight Commander site would be ideal for new flats.

^^^Still, you stated that this would be a 5-10 year plan and it was realistic. It is not.

Kings Island WAS innovative. Sure, but I'd rather not see KI compete in the coaster wars that aren't really existent anymore, we can save that for CP. For KI, I'd rather see a better all around experience. Sure, I'd like to see new coasters added to the park, but I'd rather see the overall experience improve. Make it more family oriented.

So no...I'm not a fanboy, but a rollercoaster enthusiast who would love to see his favorite park restored and become a major player in the coaster wars again. Ohio can handle having two players.

Cedar Fair however can't. They are never going to put in the money to bring KI up to Cedar Point in terms of thrills with coasters, not with Cedar Point relatively close to KI. They also have over 10 parks to manage and consider when adding rides, more if you want to count the waterparks they manage as well.

I'm one who misses the days when it seemed like KI and CP were friendly rivals, often one-upping each other. Case in point 1987 KI added Vortex and CP added Iron Dragon - KI wins. Then in 1991 KI adds Adventure Express and CP adds Mean Streak - CP wins. Now with Ohio being a CF monopoly KI has somewhat lost what made it special.

In reference to fanboy dreams, and KI is my favorite Ohio park, I would like to see them add more to their flat ride count over adding another major coaster for the time bieng. Windseeker was a step in the right direction. I have always felt that Coney Mall needed a few more filler rides. Even if it's a basic Musik Express, a swing bob, a suspended Top Spin like Firefall at Kings Dominion (as a replacement for Crypt), and/or bring a Larson Flying Scooters in, and as unmarketable as they may be, they sure would help with adding rides the family could ride together. Skylab's old location next to Racer and the former Flight Commander site would be ideal for new flats.

I miss those days too. I'm not pushing Ki to challenge Cedar Point as RC capital of the world, but I still think they need at least two just to get back in the game. The park could easily add two, and still maintain and improve on the family experience.

I agree Coney Island needs a major face lift. A Music Express would look great in a redisgned game area. And oh yeah--bring back the flying eagles. Low capacity, but what a great ride. I'm all for more flats and I often wonder how much life the Monster has left.

Cedar Fair however can't. They are never going to put in the money to bring KI up to Cedar Point in terms of thrills with coasters, not with Cedar Point relatively close to KI. They also have over 10 parks to manage and consider when adding rides, more if you want to count the waterparks they manage as well.

KI doesn't have to compete, just get back in the game. I can't see a Millineum or TTD, but an invert and Maverick clone would be great. I don't think CF sees KI as a competitor, but a money making park that draws a market from ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky. They will add rides to help increase attendance. And I could see KI getting a RMC coaster before CP.

Can we all just chill, please?

Kings Island is a great park as it is, and I think we can all trust Cedar Fair in turning the former SOB site into something great, be it an expanded area or new ride or whatever. When it comes to new additions, Cedar Fair knows what they're doing. Just the fact that they are removing SOB shows that.

Also, nostalgia's a b*tch.

Edited by SFOGdude25

On that note, I wonder when we will find out KI's plans for the park next year. I know last year they made their announcement in September, later then most parks. I'm also looking forward to some new news about Halloween Haunt. I'm going to be back in Ohio in October and always enjoyed their haunt. If it looks promising I might try and take a day and venture there. It's been a year sense I last got to ride Beast... Oh how I miss thee.

Since were discussing our owl little plans, I'd thought I'd share mine.

An aquatrarx would help rebrand the Action zone. If cedar fair is willing to spend some money of theming. An aquatrax utilizing the old SOB (lift) location and running under FD, some rockwork around the FD walk up area. Could really help out. Just my 2c.

KI doesn't have to compete, just get back in the game. I can't see a Millineum or TTD, but an invert and Maverick clone would be great. I don't think CF sees KI as a competitor, but a money making park that draws a market from ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky. They will add rides to help increase attendance. And I could see KI getting a RMC coaster before CP.

A agree that KI should put a coaster in SOB's spot but why a clone??! Build something unique! Maybe similar to Maverick, or hydraulic like TTD or Stormrunner/Xcererator. If it has to be a clone then my personal pick would be a Ferrari Rossa clone. The problems here are maintenance and capacity issues.

Kings Island actually gets slightly more visitors then Cedar Point so whatever they add should be a capacity MONSTER! I vote Intamin mega/giga OR B&M Giga with its own unique layout. Also an Intamin woodie would fit as well. I've never seen a GCI that was a real people eater yet so that gets voted out. (Although GCI MAY try something new, large, with a possible MCBR to add capacity to their coasters.) Gravity Group may happen considering their proximity to KI but not likely and I hope it's doesn't happen considering Cedar Fair's reputation for inability to properly take care of extreme woodies. I don't know enough about Rocky Mountain to comment on them.

I also see a B&M invert in the area or secondly a B&M wing due to them being the hot thing. Also B&M inverts are known capacity monsters. People say that they shouldn't build a B&M wing coaster due to Cedar Point building one for next season (and complain over Windseeker and Delirium/MaxAir) but CP having Raptor doesn't stop them from saying that KI needs an invert. So I say either or.

apatos99 Also mentioned TAER down Firehawk for a B&M Flyer! I don't see this happening at all. B&M Flyers are better capacity wise but not by any means great. They are better maintenance wise and have less downtime but I still don't see this as a reasonable investment. Also I personally prefer Vekoma Flying Dutchman over SUF. (Haven't yet ridden any other B&M flyers.)

I have never made it outside the USA, but I have tried quite a few coaster types, and I believe that the Inverted BM and the Maverick type (mega-lite with LSM's and more than 90 degree drop) are the best coasters out there to ride. They don't have to be record breaking, but both with greatly add to what is a rather sad line-up of coasters. I'll take those two over anything else including a I-305 clone. And with the failure of the 200 ft SOB, Kings Island desperately needs to reclaim it's proud tradition in wooden roller coaster innovation. Something like the Outlaw Run, but set in the woods like the Beast, would be a great way to get that back. I don't know if they intend to re-theme Action Zone, but the RMC doesn't fit the theming.

Why would KI add a B&M Invert & an Intamin LSM Launch coaster when Cedar Point is so close by?

Also, I doubt that a RMC woodie will be built in the near future. Son of Beast just got the wrecking ball, I don't think KI wants another wooden coaster soon.

I think you have to be fortunate for what you have in Kings Island, you have a hypercoaster & a world class woodie, both of which most parks would dream of having.

A agree that KI should put a coaster in SOB's spot but why a clone??! Build something unique! Maybe similar to Maverick, or hydraulic like TTD or Stormrunner/Xcererator. If it has to be a clone then my personal pick would be a Ferrari Rossa clone. The problems here are maintenance and capacity issues.

Kings Island actually gets slightly more visitors then Cedar Point so whatever they add should be a capacity MONSTER! I vote Intamin mega/giga OR B&M Giga with its own unique layout. Also an Intamin woodie would fit as well. I've never seen a GCI that was a real people eater yet so that gets voted out. (Although GCI MAY try something new, large, with a possible MCBR to add capacity to their coasters.) Gravity Group may happen considering their proximity to KI but not likely and I hope it's doesn't happen considering Cedar Fair's reputation for inability to properly take care of extreme woodies. I don't know enough about Rocky Mountain to comment on them.

I also see a B&M invert in the area or secondly a B&M wing due to them being the hot thing. Also B&M inverts are known capacity monsters. People say that they shouldn't build a B&M wing coaster due to Cedar Point building one for next season (and complain over Windseeker and Delirium/MaxAir) but CP having Raptor doesn't stop them from saying that KI needs an invert. So I say either or.

apatos99 Also mentioned TAER down Firehawk for a B&M Flyer! I don't see this happening at all. B&M Flyers are better capacity wise but not by any means great. They are better maintenance wise and have less downtime but I still don't see this as a reasonable investment. Also I personally prefer Vekoma Flying Dutchman over SUF. (Haven't yet ridden any other B&M flyers.)

I haven't tried a wing-rider yet and will have to wait until next year--at Cedar Point. But everything I have read makes them seem more like a cool gimmicky one trick pony. I still think nothing delivers like an intense Bm inverted or Maverick. It doesn't have to be a clone of M, because I'm wondering if you could build one 200 foot tall without the ejector time being too extreme. I just personally love the launches mixed with a tight layout with extreme twist and that 100 degree plus angle on the hill. I can't see CF allowing a bigger and better version to be built, that's why I said clone.

I like GCI's and love Thunderhead in Dollyworld, but honestly, a GCI would be sort of tame compared to the Beast and the deceased SOB (It wasn't a great ride--I'm saying it was extreme for being the first hyper woodie and having a loop originally). I like the new innovatons coming from RMC and think a better Outlaw would fit better at KI.

(I have the right to change my opinion after riding CP's new wing rider next year...LOL (I have promised my 11yr old son, annual visits to CP and KI, until I'm deemed no longer cool enough to go with!))

Edited by apatos99

Anyone else think CF may try to repeat the same success they had at CW and install a B&M Giga, it seams to have worked for CW and KI has the room for it.

Not in the same state and the same goes with a clone of TTD. Someone called me a fanboy earlier for my vision of reality for KI, but my fantasy would be a combination of TTD and maverick in one coaster to replace SOB.

I haven't tried a wing-rider yet and will have to wait until next year--at Cedar Point. But everything I have read makes them seem more like a cool gimmicky one trick poney. I still think nothing delivers like an intense Bm inverted or Maverick. It doesn't have to be a clone of M, because I'm wondering if you build one 200 foot tall without the ejector time being too extreme. I just personally love the launches mixed with a tight layout with extreme twist and that 100 degree plus angle on the hill. I can't see CF allowing a bigger and better version to be built, that's why I said clone.

I like GCI's and love Thunderhead in Dollyworld, but honestly, a GCI would be sort of tame compared to the Beast and the deceased SOB (It wasn't a great ride--I'm saying it was extreme for being the first hyper woodie and having a loop originally). I like the new innovatons coming from RMC and thing a better Outlaw would fit better at KI.

I have the right to change my opinion after riding CP's new wing rider next year...LOL (I have promised my 11yr old son, annual visits to CP and KI, until I'm deemed no longer cool enough to go with!)

I think GCI has the ability to compete with Beast in terms of intensity. I just haven't seen one with the capacity that a park like KI needs!

EDIT

Anyone else think CF may try to repeat the same success they had at CW and install a B&M Giga, it seams to have worked for CW and KI has the room for it.

Not in the same state and the same goes with a clone of TTD. Someone called me a fanboy earlier for my vision of reality for KI, but my fantasy would be a combination of TTD and maverick in one coaster to replace SOB.

I like this idea as well. BUT, capacity and maintenance/downtime is why this MAY not be a good idea!

I like this idea as well. BUT, capacity and maintenance/downtime is why this MAY not be a good idea!

No doubt...LOL. But I was hoping that the kinks have been worked out by now. I have never went to CP and seen TTD down for more than an hour! I kind've wondered if the catapult couldn't be replaced by LSM's.

We need a capicity monster. We dont want to repeat the Italian Job nightmare! I rode it in 2005 and had to wait about 3 hours . Oh and so your saying that they shouldnt build a giga because of cedar point? Thats like saying that we shouldnt build a new woodie because of holiday world!

We need a capicity monster. We dont want to repeat the Italian Job nightmare! I rode it in 2005 and had to wait about 3 hours . Oh and so your saying that they shouldnt build a giga because of cedar point? Thats like saying that we shouldnt build a new woodie because of holiday world!

Cedar Point actually has a clause that no parks within 200 miles of it can build anything like they have or something to that extent. The park management told us that when TPR was at Canada's Wonderland.