TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

It has been a while since a new major addition to the park,

Being from SFSTL territory, I LOL'd at that statement.

On a side note, I don't understand the eurofighter hype. Daredevil Dive was practically worthless to me. However, that's the only one I've ridden.

On a side note, I don't understand the eurofighter hype. Daredevil Dive was practically worthless to me.

This is how I would summarize my thoughts regarding this style of coasters also. Get out of my head.

Edited by Ed Farmer

^ I don't think the comparison between a Zacspin and zipper is at all accurate. While granted it was Green Lantern at SFMM, I have ridden a Zacspin and can say I didn't find it anything like a zipper. Then again that's just my opinion.

As for the eurofighters, I've only ridden Mystery Mine at Dollywood. It's one of my personal favorites, but that has to do with the whole theming of the ride as much as the coaster itself. I can understand why parks find them attractive. They are, like I've said, very cost efficient. They also can have very small foot prints and be tailored to fit very compact areas of a park, but feature elements like the beyond vertical drop and inversions that many people love about larger coasters. On paper at least, it seems to be a pretty good bang for your buck kind of deal.

It would be really cool if Gerstlauer designed a large modern Schwartzkopf-like looping coaster for that area. Since several Gerstlauer employees have worked for Schwartzkopf and have already built new trains for SooperDooperLooper, I think they could easily build an entire coaster that would make Anton proud.

Maybe it's just me, but I really don't think KI should invest in another 'Big' coaster to replace SoB. As coaster enthusiasts, many of us are clambering for the next big thing, but if only coaster enthusiasts frequented the parks, they probably wouldn't still be in business.

Believe it or not, many GP like "big" coasters just as much, if not more than enthusiasts. (They're just not uber-nerdy about it. )

^ You obviously haven't been on many Intamin Mega coasters, especially I305. I love B&M's as much as the next guy, but Intamin's take the cake when it comes to that style of coaster. If KI got a Giga the likes of I305, that would make the park that much better in my opinion. Plus, it's nice to mix up the coaster manufacturers, they already have a B&M Mega.

Maybe it's just me, but I really don't think KI should invest in another 'Big' coaster to replace SoB. As coaster enthusiasts, many of us are clambering for the next big thing, but if only coaster enthusiasts frequented the parks, they probably wouldn't still be in business.

Believe it or not, many GP like "big" coasters just as much, if not more than enthusiasts. (They're just not uber-nerdy about it. )

Your right, the GP love big coasters... But a lot of parks biggest money makers are family's. You need to give theme a reason to return as much as those that love coasters.

^ That didn't stop Canada's Wonderland!

Yes, but that's not really an argument for it, just an example of it already happening.

Personally, if we are in wild speculation mode about replacements, I'd love to see the park build another wooded coaster. More specifically, a RMC or Intamin wooden coaster a la El Toro or Outlaw Run (Assuming OR is as great as we are all anticipating it to be). Hell, maybe RMC can give them the quality wooden looping coaster they had hoped for but never got.

Your right, the GP love big coasters... But a lot of parks biggest money makers are family's. You need to give theme a reason to return as much as those that love coasters.

There are arguments for both. Big coasters are known to boost attendance, where as family stuff is known to get people to make more in-park purchase (toys, pictures, etc). So parks typically need to balance it and have something to keep everyone happy.

^ That is a very good point. One that could also suggest the idea of an expansion could be just as profitable, if not more, then just adding another big coaster. Like I said, add couple of family rides to draw that crowd, not just to the park, but to that area of the park that is mostly thrill rides. Then add newer coaster with smaller footprint that could drive in coaster lovers. While it might not be bigger, if they went with something like a zacpin, a skyloop, or even a eurofighter, the fact that it is something completely unique and different from what you see from any of the surrounding parks like CP, could help bump attendence similar to a newer big coaster. Theoretically, the best of both worlds. Regardless, like you said, everything we say is just wishfull thinking on our part. I for one see us hearing an announcement about the future of The Crypt sight after Haunt long before we hear anything about their future plans for the SoB site.

IMO, i think that a giga coaster will replace SoB. They might pull either an kings dominion(intamin ) or a canada's wonderland (2 B&M's 1 hyper 1 giga ) If they replace it with something not monumental i will be mad!I'm already a little upset of SoB's removal.

Believe me or not, you will DEFINITELY want an Intamin over a B&M. I've ridden a couple of the best rated B&Ms in the US (Nitro, Manta, Hulk, etc.), and none of them, in my opinion, are more intense than I-305.

I loved the hangtime on Dare Devil Dive. To each his own. I think Zacspins look rather stupid. If I wanted to ride a Zipper, I'd go to the state fair.

Quote for dumbest comment of the day!

Let me rephrase because, yes, the way I put it was quite dumb and I blame my being off my medication, which was entirely my pharmacy's fault. So, sorry if I offended anyone with my opinion. Zacspins don't excite me, but that's just from looking at them and seeing how they operate from online videos, and it's mainly due to the way SFMM apparently runs the one there. By looking at the European ones, if unbalanced, they could be quite exciting. I feel they are wrong capacity-wise for big parks like KI, however. I could see smaller parks like SFA, Canobie, Lake Compounce, Great Escape, or Elitch Gardens making good additions out of them (if run the right way, unlike SFMM), but for larger parks I just think they seem out of place. Again, just my opinion.

I'd like to see KI somehow fix The Beast so they don't have to use those trims anymore or to get a smaller wooden coaster that packs a good punch like American Thunder or Prowler does.

Kings Island is my home park by my God they need some quality rides. They literally need 2-3 coasters more just to get on the map as far as I'm concerned. They need something with smooth inversions maybe a wing rider or B&M invert to replace flight deck. Also I would love to see a Dragster clone if they could afford it. Finally I would invest in either a rocky mountain reimagining of the beast or perhaps a new schools wooden.

Kings Island is my home park by my God they need some quality rides. They literally need 2-3 coasters more just to get on the map as far as I'm concerned. They need something with smooth inversions maybe a wing rider or B&M invert to replace flight deck. Also I would love to see a Dragster clone if they could afford it. Finally I would invest in either a rocky mountain reimagining of the beast or perhaps a new schools wooden.

A Dragster clone? There is one like 3 hours away. They may have done that for WindSeeker and Dinosaurs Alive!, but they definitely wouldn't do that on TTD.

^ That's another reason I don't see them putting a Giga in anytime soon. Cedar Point is the area's go to park for big roller coaster thrills. Even Diamondback, as much as I love it, is on the tamer side compared to some of CP's big draw coasters. I don't think Cedar Fair will ever put the two parks in direct competition against each other in terms of coasters. To me it seems the direction they seem to be taking KI, with Dinosaur Alive and the waterpark expansion, in a slightly more family oriented direction. It would be counter productive for them financially to try and make KI the next CP.

May I nominate this as the dumbest quote of the day? We're talking about Kings Island here, apparent number 1 kids park in the world... I think they are fine with the kids rides they have.

A big coaster with a 42" height requirement? Now that's what they need.

May I nominate this as the dumbest quote of the day? We're talking about Kings Island here, apparent number 1 kids park in the world... I think they are fine with the kids rides they have.

A big coaster with a 42" height requirement? Now that's what they need.

^ I don't see how it dumb. Your right, Kings Island has a fantastic kids area that has a mix of kids and family rides. But I'm talking more in terms of family rides... Leave Camp Snoopy, and aside from a hand full of ride in Coney Mall, the rest of the park has little in the way of family rides. And there last real additions in terms of any family rides was back in 2006.

I have sooooo many issues with this. First, KI has more quality coasters than 90% of the parks in the US. Some parks would love to have just one of KI's big name coasters(Diamondback, Beast, hell even Firehawk or FoF). Second, Flight Deck is a surprisingly fun coaster and one of the last of a dying breed, why remove it? Third, CP is announcing a Wing Rider tomorrow, and seeing how almost all of them have been underwhelming so far, do we really need to have them everywhere(and so close)? Fourth, as awesome as TTD is, those rides are expensive, constantly having mechanical issues, and short rides with long waits. A full coaster (that would likely be cheaper) would be a much better investment.

And Finally... Beast is a beloved coaster by the GP and enthusiasts alike. Why in gods name would you waste money on having RMC change it? RMC is doing great things but they don't have to redo every wooden coaster out there, especially a ride that is already great!

They need to replace Vortex with a inverted BM and call it the Bat. Don't touch the Beast, unless they can replace the trains with more comfortable ones. (Hmmm...have GCI retrack so they'll allow KI to run their unique trains on it the Beast?) New trains and retracking on the Racers so they have one go backwards (Surely one of the manufacturers can build a train that seats people backwards?).

Build a spinning coaster somewhere in Coney Island. See if itamin could build a double ferris wheel with secure seating (I'm thinking horse collar type--over the shoulder restraints.), that would allow it to go around fast and let certain seats flip upside down. Put where the Flight Commander use to be. Then put in a screaming swing.

After they remove the SOB, replace it with a Maverick clone. Move the BLSC over there and re name and re theme it. Tear out the Crypt, and put the antique cars back in. Relocate lots of trees and then visit Dollyworld to see how to theme a 'frontier area'--including the food. Build a themed log flume that interacts with Diamond Back and has tunnels.

Later on down the road, let RMC build an SOB like Outlaw run in the woods behind the racers. Replace Flight Deck with a wing rider.

After that, replace FireHawk with a BM flier. Retheme area to a 'Hanger 52 theme'. Lots of glowing aliens, maybe add a dark ride if they can afford it after all this.

As a longtime Kings Island fan who rode the racers at the age of five the year they opened, this would would be my realistic 5 to 10yr plan to revitalize KI to what it should be, while honoring it's rich past traditions.