TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

I doubt they will replace it with something wooden. Too much association with SOB for the GP.

Agreed, Im not holding my breath on anything Wooden.

Predictions on the Future of the action zone.

2013-Quiet year with the removal of SOB

OR...

Timberwolf Amphitheater being converted into a more modern ACTION performance stage. Featuring live action-adventure performances. Cedar Fair doing the Luminosity Treatment, but with a more ACTION based approach.

2013-2014- Congo Falls removal, replaced with concessions/restaurant for the new performance area. A new Aqautrax opens on the former SOB(station-lift) location, replacing Congo Falls.

I never got a chance to ride it, but im not disappointed at all. I'd rather not get to ride if the experience was like going through hell and back. Anyways, I also think it's about time this thing left, it was a complete eyesore (so is every other ride that just sits without operating).

Now, if they replace it with another wooden coaster, will it be called Son-Of-Son-Of-Beast???

I never got a chance to ride it, but im not disappointed at all. I'd rather not get to ride if the experience was like going through hell and back. Anyways, I also think it's about time this thing left, it was a complete eyesore (so is every other ride that just sits without operating).

Now, if they replace it with another wooden coaster, will it be called Son-Of-Son-Of-Beast???

That would be Grandson of Beast.

Im shocked by this decision! . Somebody mentioned at the park yesterday that SOB was being torn down. I didnt belive her and now i see this!!!I hope something non-cookie cutter comes in his place. Anyone have plans for the beast because he is in rage now

That would be Grandson of Beast.

I could see it going either way lol.

I find it hard to believe that they would build another wooden coaster in this spot. To take down one wooden structure to put up another just seems like a waste of construction costs. If they were to rebuild another one, I think they would try to use at least some of the wooden structure of SOB. Thats not to say that they still might do this.. We will just have to wait to see what happens with deconstruction!

I find it hard to believe that they would build another wooden coaster in this spot. To take down one wooden structure to put up another just seems like a waste of construction costs. If they were to rebuild another one, I think they would try to use at least some of the wooden structure of SOB. Thats not to say that they still might do this.. We will just have to wait to see what happens with deconstruction!

The structure has always been in terrible shape. Reusing ANY of it would be a bad idea. I'll welcome whatever comes to replace SOB, but I am personally hoping for a really good terrain woodie or a custom Intamin giga.

Edited by SFOGdude25

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't this have to be the largest ride to ever be removed from a park? I can't think of a taller, faster, or longer ride that has ever been torn down. And all that lumber...no wonder why it's been standing there for a long time.

EDIT: Just remembered Hypersonic XLC

Edited by VinTheAttendant

Rats, I always wanted to ride this one after I saw the Discovery Channel review on it. I will always hold the opinion though that if they had used some good trains (Millennium Flyers or Timberliners) it would have been tolerable.

My question is what will replace it. In my view there are three different potential coasters they could put in its place, in order of what I believe makes the most sense:

1. A new woodie by either Gravity Group, RMC, or Intamin: This would have to be another hyper woodie and should feature an inversion given what SDC has done. If they could get it right this time around, this would be an EPIC signature for the park.

2. 4th Dimensional coaster. These are still rather rare and is not offered in CF's portfolio as far as I am aware. It would help KI to stand out, only draw back is they are EXPENSIVE.

3. A Giga: This would be the direction that one could assume CF would go with given their track record. If this is the direction they go, I just hope they don't use a B&M Giga as the replacement. Having a Hyper and Giga made by the same manufacturer doesn't make sense, it lacks variety. In fact, I would tend to argue that a Chance Morgan Giga would make the most sense as should they go this route as they already have two Intamin Gigas already in their brand and within driving distance of KI. They need to be careful not to go clone crazy as SF tends to. But between the two more likely possibilities, I would say go with Intamin.

Hopefully they don't go down the path of adding a bunch of cloned rides in its place.

If this is the direction they go, I just hope they don't use a B&M Giga as the replacement. Having a Hyper and Giga made by the same manufacturer doesn't make sense, it lacks variety.

Ummm.. Canada's Wonderland did that, and being on both rides this summer when visiting Toronto, I can tell you they do supply 2 very different rides. I do think its odd that they are in the same park, but it does work...

I find it hard to believe that they would build another wooden coaster in this spot. To take down one wooden structure to put up another just seems like a waste of construction costs.

Don't tell SFMM that. They ripped down their Psyclone and replaced it with Apocalypse.

As for SOB, it's about time. That is a nice chunk of real estate to develop. I would much rather see park expansion with maybe two decent sized coasters (a GCI twister and the B&M invert I've been wanting) along with some flats instead of just one big coaster.

I'm not so sure how well a Wingrider would do in its place either with Chicago having one, Dollywood's Wild Eagle, and CP putting in one next year. That's all within a 3.5-5 hour drive from Cincy. But I do believe a wing rider is the most likely new coaster to come to Kings Island; but who knows, maybe we'll shock the world and get an Intamin.

But can't go wrong with a Wing Rider. Look what it did to Dollywood's attendance.

Remember that the track and supports were crap. Both played a role in how brutal the ride became. Remember that people got sent to the hospital when parts of it snapped? Plus, nothing has been done with it for 3 years, so it's in even worse shape now.

Reusing any of it is not a good idea. Clear the area for something much better.

From what I have read, the wood was a large part of the problem as it was inferior wood. If the ride truly is salvageable, it would be best to treat it that way and say forget considering the wood. I would be far more in favor of a winged coaster than an inverted. It is a 20 year old segment and there are offerings of that everywhere. A B&M Invert is not that exciting anymore.

^^^Are you talking about the RCCA coasters? RCDB says they are still in business - but Wikipedia says RCCA is defunct. Somebody send that RCCA info to the RCDB - I just sent the news about SoB and I don't want to appear as sending too much information/spamming.

I've only been on SoB out of all the RCCA coasters, and that was several years ago. It was rough, but - and this might sound GP-ish - it didn't ride good, but it is at least partly made up for by the fact that you are going nearly 80mph on a woodie and riding the rails of the fastest, tallest ride of its kind. Great idea, poor execution.

I'd love to see a topper track woodie go up inspired by SoB's layout. For example, they could make a hill into the Rose Bowl, then have a peak for airtime, before entering the bowl on the other side, going clockwise instead of counterclockwise. I have a diagram for a potential idea for an RMC coaster - topper track or Iron Horse - which could be placed on the site of SoB. It shares a modified Rose Bowl, MCBR, and loop with the original SoB, and ditches the second helix in favor of a second out-and back run, placing a smaller helix later in the layout. I used two tools to make it - Google Earth and MS Paint .

newsob.thumb.jpg.4eb3133fa762a79c53efb10605c39aaa.jpg

Just a concept - not based on reality.

^No...just don't go there. I doubt KI will replace this with something wooden. That is, if they even decide to replace it at all. Yeah, there's land back there, and it's going to be empty in a few months, but that doesn't mean they will immediately replace it with something.

I'd suspect they would be much more inclined to purchase a large B&M or Intamin than a wooden coaster.

I haven't looked at a satalite image of SoB in a while. I didn't realize it sat on that much space with cleared land beside it.

I don't see KI replacing SoB with just one large coaster. I think they will opt for a completely new area or a major expansion of Action Zone. It'll increase the capacity of the park itself and total ridership if they can add several mid-sized attractions there. That's how they seem to be developing the parks these days (installing rides with excellent capacity).

Good riddance to SoB!

It's been a long time since I've ridden it. (and only in it's original form).

I remember having more issues with the train and restraints then anything else. I remember the original trains having sort of a foot rest that pinned my legs to the lap bar. By the end of the ride my legs would be totally numb. Waiting on the brake run was just agony.

That layout I figured is still OK with a steel coaster, in my opinion.

Good riddance to SoB!

It's been a long time since I've ridden it. (and only in it's original form).

I remember having more issues with the train and restraints then anything else. I remember the original trains having sort of a foot rest that pinned my legs to the lap bar. By the end of the ride my legs would be totally numb. Waiting on the brake run was just agony.

I think Premier Rides lap bars do that a lot, I think you are usually supposed to put your feet under the bottom part of the lap bar and it feels like it pushes down as the lap bar itself is pushed down.